Ghost Recon.net Forums
ApexMods

YouTube Copyright Nightmare - Solutions?

This problem has once again reared its ugly head while Wombat and I tried to figure out a way to get his Born in the USA video up on YouTube for everyone to enjoy. As many of you will already know, in certain countries YouTube is blocking videos that contain copyrighted soundtracks. In some cases they just disable the soundtrack and in others they block the entire video (I have no idea why). But then they also allow certain copyrighted music to play on some videos and simply add a copyright notice and a link to purchase the music somewhere, e.g. the iTunes store (which makes a lot more sense).

As with all copyright issues nowadays, the whole thing is one huge bag of hurt. YouTube is not to be blamed for this mess, as it is The Big 4 record labels and their incomprehensible obnoxiousness that enforce these unbelievably stupid schemes to harass the public at large - their own customers - in any way they possibly can. As a result, Wombat's amazing video about the Vietnam war is blocked in just about every country on earth, because it contains a 27-year old song!

I have encountered the YouTube Copyright Nightmare™ on several other occasions myself, and there is really no easy way around this. If you live in a country where the recording industry is especially anal retentive (e.g. Germany, where they wanted to charge YouTube royalties for every single instance a song is played) and the video you want to watch is available everywhere else in the world, the solution to circumvent this censorship is to use one of the many free proxies out there. But of course that won't help you if the video is blocked everywhere on earth.

homepage-logo.jpg

As a video creator, you can partially avoid the headaches by using one of YouTube's many pre-licensed songs. For this purpose, YouTube offers a feature called AudioSwap, which will replace the soundtrack of your video with one that won't lead to copyright issues. The selection so far isn't all that great, as you won't find any of the major artists in there (again, due to the big label's greed), but it's better than a mute video or being blocked completely and there are some amazingly talented independent artists onboard with this service.

logo_audioswap_325x48-vflUA_-Lt.png

But if you want your video to contain more than one song, there's basically only trial and error until you find a soundtrack that allows the clip to be seen in as many countries as possible. YouTube will automatically sift through your upload to find copyrighted material and report their findings back to you, including a list of consequences like which countries will block the video or disable the soundtrack.

I would like you all to please chime in with further suggestions and possible YouTube alternatives. Thanks. :thumbsup:

youtube was always a headache with me when i joined up, i remember a time when youtube wasn't big, and there wasn't all this copyright bollox, or advertising in videos. it's pathetic now.

you could always use Tumblr, I'd be more than happy to post up the video on my page and send over the link. i've never had an issue with the copyright, usually because in my youtube videos i tell em to do one :P

Edited by Zeealex

Any music associated with the Big Four music publishers will probably have the audio disabled or the video totally blocked by You tube. That is my experience anyway. I don't blame YouTube as they would probably cease to exist if they ignored copyright infringement especially in regards to the Big Four.

Ways to get around it? This is all supposition on my part.

I think any legal digitally downloaded track or CD has a type of DRM (digital rights management) embedded in it so it can easily and quickly be identified as to who has copyrights to it.

Maybe older versions don't contain this tagging? Maybe a version that has been played and recorded with a microphone wouldn't contain the DRM tagging?

I have read about a Youtube model that would allow the use of copyrighted tracks for a fee. I'd easily pay a small sum.

I have looked into buying a license for photos or video but the fees have always been way to high. License fees are only reasonable for commercial entities IMO.

Audio Swap will fill the need but it requires allot of time to find a track that works for a video. In the end Audio Swap discourages me.

There is no embedded DRM involved in YouTube automatically recognizing copyrighted music tracks. They do it by comparing the audio footprint of a song to a database of copyrighted songs, kinda like how MusicBrainz does it.

As Johnny Carson would have said, " I did not know that." :)