Ten reasons why Ghost Recon is still the greatest tactical shooter

Game Launch Time

It takes about 10 seconds from double-clicking the Ghost Recon icon to being on a mission - and that includes online multiplayer. An amazing feat that let's me play a quick round of GR e.g. in a TV commercial break. Although this usually means I forget about the TV altogether.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still playing this, in between dead space 2 atm, but it has still stood the test of time and despite the advance in graphics of the newer games, few come close to the quality of the game play that GR has. When you start playing it again it just feels right, and very few games offer the satisfaction you can get for completing a mission, even if you lost a few comrades along the way. Its a pity that theres not many playing online anymore.

Works perfectly at any screen resolution

Another incredible feature. Even many of the most recent games have trouble with non-standard resolutions, heck, some have apparently never even heard of widescreen, yet good ol' Ghost Recon handles anything you throw at it. Looks beautiful e.g. on a 27-inch display at 2560 by 1440 pixels, and even supports multiple-display setups. Perfect for total immersion and essential situational awareness in combat.

<3 widescreenfixer. It's part of my standard load out.

My personal reasons for loving this game include how it is deadly serious and realistic without being dry OR overly hard to get into. The controls are intuitive and I don't feel like I'm trying to run a tank or a large futuristic combat robot; almost everything just flows.

I LOVE soul switching. It's what makes the game for me. It allows me to get people unstuck and to take the fun parts for myself. :P

I also love how I can move my chess pieces teams across the map with commands without having to manually run them over myself; that can get old really quickly with just one team, not to mention how annoying it would get with three.

I LOVE how it forces you to use real-world tactics if you want to survive. I think this is a real-world lesson that most people never get the chance to pick up on. I definitely didn't get a chance to learn it from any other shooter games (then again, GR is my first real game in the tac shooter world).

I love how your teammates are skilled enough to actually hit the enemy but not unrealistically so.

I love the coop online.

I love the feeling of completing an epic campaign.

I love the mods, and the promising, tempting knowledge that I, too, can create my own custom maps and campaigns one day *drool*. I better make it soon, though, or it won't happen before Windows stops supporting this game.

I really like the community of die-hard fans that support this game. :)

I love the immersion. Sneaking through the environments and positioning my snipers and teams...it forces you to wake up and engage your senses.

EDIT: And I love how the tactics I've learned from watching other online players seem to translate directly into my outdoor laser tag games in real life: hit 'em, withdraw so their attention is focused in your direction, flank 'em, hit 'em again, withdraw, repeat...it's like boxing when you hit them from different, unexpected angles.

Edited by remix79

I just recently reinstalled the original GR after nearly 8 or 9 years. I loved it then and I'm loving it now. Here is why:

It's funny to me it has been referred to in this thread several times as being a bit like Chess. I couldn't agree more. Easy to learn, difficult to master. I'm so into taking time to set up my strategies with 3 fireteams and 6 soldiers. I love feeling i HAVE to be careful. It puts pressure on execution. The slowness of the gameplay actually adds to the tension. The controls are intuitive, the missions are fun and it doesn't look half bad for being as old as it is. No other game, not even future GRs, seem to have this perfect combination of components.

I'm still working my way through the single-player campaign. On mission 7 at the moment. But I was wondering if their was still any kind of community for multiplayer? Co-op and pvp.

I noticed Roco from AFZ had posted earlier in this thread. Dude, I used to be in that clan with you under the name "kn0x". Good to see your still playing.

\m/

Works perfectly at any screen resolution

Another incredible feature. Even many of the most recent games have trouble with non-standard resolutions, heck, some have apparently never even heard of widescreen, yet good ol' Ghost Recon handles anything you throw at it. Looks beautiful e.g. on a 27-inch display at 2560 by 1440 pixels, and even supports multiple-display setups. Perfect for total immersion and essential situational awareness in combat.

Maybe it's less relevant today, but this one went both ways: GR is beautiful and playable at even the lowest resolutions. I went from playing Rogue Spear at 1024x748 to GR at 640x480 with the lowest detail... and GR looked better, way better. I remember playing the first mission for the first time, looking up into the sun and going 'wow.' Text was clear and crisp, yet the HUD was still small enough to be unobtrusive.

All too many games these days assume everyone has a big widescreen display and the hardware to power it at full native resolution. ArmA2, for instance, is simply unplayable at lower resolutions - you can't see enough detail in the game world, text becomes illegible, and the HUD grows to dominate the screen. Not that ArmA2 is bad per se (there are worse offenders, I'm sure), but it shows the level of polish that went into GR.

Edited by Gache

did you notice the game advertisement used real game play!

boy i miss those days. These viral things with cinamatics get you hyped up to fail.

As i have said before - injury model. You don't want to get shot as it may not kill you for a respawn, but leave you helpless and unable to finish your misson.

Open maps... - just recently reinstalled ghost recon. Played castle - had No Idea where the enemy shot me from since i walked in instead of sneaking and scoping around.

AI seem to learn your tatic. I got taken out on my firefight server, went back in following same path and an AI GL'd me as soon as i snuck in the same entrance. I of course accused the AI of cheating, but was WAY more careful next time and followed a new route.

I still haven't found AI as smart as those in OGR with flanking and such. (Even running behind trees so i couldn't shoot them and waiting till i stepped right to pop me in the head before i could shoot)

No game has ever induced addictive frustration and ###### me off as much to play it over and over until i conquered the mission. Most games nowadays are just frustration with no replayability.

did you notice the game advertisement used real game play!

boy i miss those days. These viral things with cinamatics get you hyped up to fail.

Yep, every TV advert now carrys a disclaimer saying "not representative of gameplay", or similar, at least in the UK.

Yes, actual gameplay footage in advertising surely makes me reminisce, but what really does it for me is the creed.

I am a member of my nation's chosen few

I will be swift, silent, and invisible

I will be the master of the enemy

I will shoot him before he shoots me

I will protect my brother for he will protect me

I will never surrender

I will fight to the death so that others may live in peace

I am a Ghost

Ghost Recon has creed, for frag's sake!!! Is there anything about this game that isn't uber-awsome?!?

• 4 weeks later...

After playing all the Ghost Recon and Graw / Graw2 and every other shooter out there for the Xbox / Xbox 360 I needed more.

Me and a buddy play co-op exclusively and there is nothing left to play.

We started many years ago with Summit Strike on the Xbox and we were hooked.

So to get our fix for we turned here and I set up a couple machines and we are back playing the best shooter on the planet.

Thanks to this site and the availability out mods out there we can keep playing for a long time to come.

• 4 weeks later...

Most games nowadays are just frustration with no replayability.

Yep, Sup all old farts ;-) (and ROCO) I really find it striking that I even log in and check the good damn forum of a pc game 9 years old...

GR had the injury model, open maps, flexibility, re-playability, control of squad, server control incl replays, and several gameplay options.

That is probably why a game like GR most likely will never surface again (GB seem never to make it). It is probably a nightmare for business to make a game that a relatively selected crowd of mostly mature gamers are happy with and sticks to for ages.. Sry for being a realist... :(

That is probably why a game like GR most likely will never surface again (GB seem never to make it). It is probably a nightmare for business to make a game that a relatively selected crowd of mostly mature gamers are happy with and sticks to for ages.. Sry for being a realist... :(

Well, we stick to Ghost Recon because no other game occupied the position. See what happened to Operation Flashpoint/Arma Cold War Assault. There's still a community around it, but most people migrated to ArmA, and then ARMA2, and probably til 2013 to ARMA3 (because it will probably take some time for most to reach the minimum requirements).

Both of you pretty much answer it spot on. The only reason I am still playing the original Ghost Recon is because I can't find a game to migrate to, even trying really hard to migrate doesn't yield any results. I still love my Ghost Recon :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Spot on. I've done every COD since MW4, most of the R6s, and I have to say that OGR repeatedly beats them with a big stick, and then moves off quietly. Furthermore, nothing helped me more in honing my real-life tactical theory than OGR. Using just a map and reference points, I could practice the same techniques I had to master as a cadet and junior officer in setting up fire teams. It honestly needs to be used as a training tool for all leaders at the platoon and squad level. I don't know a single other game about which I could say that.

• 3 weeks later...

Reasons why it is still the best FPS ever:

1. It makes up for its lousy graphics with the fact that you can make a above-decent mission in five minutes using an easy editing program INCLUDED with the game software

2. A single expansion pack costs only $5.00 and I downloaded it in 14 minutes off Direct2Drive.

3. Great weapon selection, also the ability to make your own kits in IGOR Editor.

4. Smart, USEFUL, friendly AI who obey orders and don't do stupid stuff, they also warn you and give you heads up.

5. Smart, challenging, enemy AI who don't have the Eye of Doom which can see through every wall (like in GRAW) so you can't even flank them while prone and behind two buildings.

6. The ability to ride in vehicles which makes great insertions and extractions.

7. No perks and Super Mario style crud like Call of Duty Multiplayer.

8. It has even better effects than any modern game, including blood stains, richochet and bullet whizby sounds, also if you go through water, you SEE the water marks left on your clothing.

9. No scripted only-go-this way missions like in most modern day games. It gives you the freedom to (like in real life) use your own tactics instead of following Captain Price and Sphinx and four other randomly generated AI who can't be given orders to, and you have to make sure you step on the right trigger spot so that the mission works.

10. It is awesome. Bottom line.

• 3 weeks later...