Firefox 4

Tinker

If you use Firefox, do you like this version at all? Any things to look at?

My bookmarks have shfited into a bad place for me. Can I move that bookmarks button back to the left side at all?

Pros and cons anyone?

I have had version 4 for several weeks.

Took me awhile to get use to the new location of the bookmark tab too.

I have gotten use to it.

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough but there is no zoom feature for websites that have really small text.

Either the old version had it or maybe it was IE. :blink:

Those are the only cons for me. I'm sure there are some nice new features but I'm too lazy to look.

@OT

because of Ubuntu 11.04, i'm stuck with it. at first it was really annoying, compared to firefox 3.6 (what i was using in Ubuntu 10.10) it looked cramped and all over the place at the same time, it's not nearly as smooth as 3.6 and the buttons were bigger on 3.6. so i could actually see the back button if i was too busy typing in this box like i am now.

but at the same time, firefox 4 looks cleaner, i can see more on the screen, but that might be because of the vast interface change from 10.10 to 11.04. i actually like the bookmark button in the address bar, but perhaps make it slightly more noticeable even i find it tough to see where it's gone.

I'm used to firefox 4 now, it synchronizes with the unity interface pretty well and isn't nearly as annoying as IE 8 or 9 i think perhaps people would enjoy it more on Ubuntu where the annoying (IMHO) blocky interface of Windows 7 isn't clogging up the screen.

Edited by Zeealex

ZOOM is CTRL and mouse wheel, best thing ever. Oh, and it remembers the zoom PER SITE, so when you go back to a crazy low font size site next time, it'll still be zoomed into your pref. setting. I only just started zooming into sites recently, and on some forums this sticky zoom feature is a god send.

My bookmarks have shfited into a bad place for me. Can I move that bookmarks button back to the left side at all?

Right click on toolbar > Customize > drag buttons to preffered location...?

I've been using FF4 since it came out. Sometimes, maybe once a day, it ginds to a halt and I have to close it down, then start it up again and it's fine. Apart from that it works fine for me.

Can't say I use many plugins, I do like FireFTP, IE Tab 2, ~TaskForce and TinEye though.

One (kinda basic) thing I have started doing that is really neat, is making use of the bookmarks toolbar. So on the toolbar I have a folder icon for a genre of site, lets say boxing, then just clicking on that icon drops down all my boxing bookmarks for quick and easy selection. To add a new website to that folder, just visit the site and drag the sites favicon from the address bar into that folder on the bookmark toolbar and it'll be there next time you click on it.

It's also a quick and easy way to maintain those sites, ie change the name or delete them.

Oh I forgot to mention one thing I use a lot, I am not sure when or how it appeared though. There is a Check Spelling button on the toolbar now - and it works great! Very easy and convenient to use.

+1 thanks Rocky, I was wondering the same thing too. :thumbsup:

It does hang on me too, crash, then restores. Not sure if it has too do with memory again, because sometimes I have multiple sites up (Pandora, streaming sites) and maybe some other app, i.e. Photoshop, Directories, etc

Rocky... didn't know the ctrl + mousewheel. Works in IE also.

Button for spellcheck? Earlier versions of firefox used to auto check or does it do both?

I know this because they used it at work but there was so many mixed version and issues with certain government sites that we had to drop it. Also had some issues with roaming profiles and firefox as it doesn't recognize (or i couldn't figure out how to do it) profiles via UNC paths (\\server\profile)

We now use IE with IESpell which right click and spellcheck works great.

It does hang on me too, crash, then restores. Not sure if it has too do with memory again, because sometimes I have multiple sites up (Pandora, streaming sites) and maybe some other app, i.e. Photoshop, Directories, etc

I've been using FF4 as soon as it came out too - mainly because some sites are broken in IE9. You are right that Mozilla still hasn't totally fixed the memory leak prob in FF4 (although they did make a few improvements) so you will see that you have to reboot Firefox after awhile. See complaints here:

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2011/03/how-does-firefox-4-improve-mem.html

• 1 month later...

Oh I forgot to mention one thing I use a lot, I am not sure when or how it appeared though. There is a Check Spelling button on the toolbar now - and it works great! Very easy and convenient to use.

Uhm, I just upgraded to FF5 and my spellcheck button is gone, anyone knwo if it's an addon I need to go find, or a feature that's off by default that I need to activate? :unsure:

FF5 has a built in spell checker

Tools \ options \ advanced \ "check my spelling as I type"

also if when in a text box, you right-click, it should also be on the context menu "check spelling" (tick /untick)

also on the same context menu under "Languages" then add dictionary "English (British)" then select "English - United Kingdom".