GR: ZAPAD-81

GR: ZAPAD-81 is a 20-mission campaign for single player or co-op that I've dusted off and revamped for release.

I started it many years ago but never got around to finishing it until recently. It requires GR v1.4, DS, and IT; it also requires GR: ZAPAD-81 Winter Add On to be activated after mission 8.

None of the missions require unlocking, just to keep things simple, but they are playable as a campaign.

There is a read-me text file with credits for all the stuff I borrowed from other modders. I'll list them here as well:

Map Credits

mission: author:

steel tempest "Biro"

white thunder "H-Hour, Sarc & EL OSO"

long bow "Rawker"

goliath "Bludawg"

Winter Textures "151-Lancer"

df439 Sahara "PUNiSHER"

Vehicle Credits

BlakOps vehicles: Blakarion

SS-25 TOPOL: cobaka

SMERCH: Hammer

Scorpion: Hammer

civy truck: Tinker

Character Credits

German actors - DOG-ZEBRA

Marines - Sixpence

French actors - Petitjean & Froggy

British actors - Sixpence

hostages - MONOLITH and BajaBravo

Weapons Credits

M16 Armoury: Chems

FAMAS Custom SD: Frostbite team

FAMAS, G3, AUG: Bajabravo

F-18 strike: Thales100 (I think I forgot this one in the readme)

The campaign is designed around a real-world scenario that occurred in 1981, when there were popular uprisings in Poland as it tried to escape the Warsaw Pact. The Soviet Union intervened; but in this scenario, NATO and the UN got there first to prevent another bloody crackdown like the Hungarian revolution in 1956 and the Czech uprising in 1968. This of course escalates to war with the Soviets, who launch Operation ZAPAD-81 (Zapad translates into "west"), designed to cleanse Poland without expanding the conflict beyond that region.

The weapons and vehicles are period (those used in 1981) as far as I could tell through research. Some missions are vehicle-intense and might need some GR performance downgrading in order to play smoothly. The missions are varied and range from large platoon-sized conflagrations to small squad-based traditional GR stuff.

The downloads are 7-zip format, but the moderators can change that to suit their needs.

This mod was thoroughly tested by myself, in both sp and co-op modes, but of course there are always issues. Please use this discussion thread to bring any issues to my attention for future patches.

Have fun!

-variable13

Edited by Variable13

; it also requires GR: ZAPAD-81 Winter Add On to be activated after mission 8.

Is that included in the main download? :unsure:

ps. freaking awesome! Cracking Ghost Recon mods are coming out thick and fast at the moment.

Thanks a lot, variable13. Just tried the first campaign mission - looks very nice! Love that your campaigns are based on RL historical events and how you immerse the player in historical context e.g. through your excellent mission briefings. Hope I'll soon have some time to play this through.

BTW - I did a quick Mac conversion of the mod and add-on. Download available here.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a try tonight in coop mode.

Red storm no restrictions used/

Rifleman kits 28 - 34 there are no kit icons

Army Demo kits 36 - 44 no kit icons

Army demo 18 - 23 CTD when selecting them

US Support 13 - 16 CTD

All seem to be could not find certain .kit files.

Mission 01 Farm, unable to rearm in the farmhouse with AT. Script shows that it gives a message, but no mention of replenishing the kits?

Mission 02 Biro`s Farm, close to unplayable around the farm area once fighting began, hit as low as 3 fps here. All running new awesome PC`s, host running 100MB connection.

<_<

Kits missing from mod?

h_m16cmag-ammo.kit

h_m16cmag-hk4.kit

d_fn-fal_at4.kit

d_fn-fal_hk4.kit

d_fn-fal_m1911.kit

d_fn-fal_m9sd.kit

d_fn-fal-ammo.kit

Thanks Tinker, I was not able to thoroughly test the co-op play, so definitely overlooked the no restrictions file; I'll see what I can do with it.

The Farm map is very CPU intensive, especially in and around the barn. I'm not sure even dialing back the graphics would help there.

I appreciate the feedback, and will try to work these bugs out.

Played a few missions and jesus they are hard. Maybe dial back the enemies spotting distance because at the moment I'm dying and I having no clue where from. The first mission is fun when you know you have to shoot from the windows ( no chance staying in the open ) but the second missions is just a complete nightmare to complete. Looks great though, never seen GR look so much like an open warfare game.

Is there any way to make the enemy pause for x amount of time before they shoot?

@paladin, I think it might be possible to go into the enemy weapons files and dial back either the accuracy or the recoil recovery; I did this once with a WOI campaign. I'll mess around with it and see.

Mission 2 might also require you to sit back and let the crap fly for a while, then clean up. It goes against orders, but hey, you won't get demoted.

UPDATE: there will be a patch available that fixes mp coop kit issues, and re-arm issues, real soon. It will be required for mp play.

Edited by Variable13

• 9 months later...

Thank's a lot for this great Mod. It's awesome to play.

I just have a problem. After finishing mission 8 in the debriefing windows, when I click the forward button to go to the next mission briefing, it crashes me back to desktop. Is this a well known problem and if yes, is there any way to fix it?

I just have a problem. After finishing mission 8 in the debriefing windows, when I click the forward button to go to the next mission briefing, it crashes me back to desktop. Is this a well known problem and if yes, is there any way to fix it?

Can you copy and paste your ike.log here? It's in your C:\Program Files\Red Storm Entertainment\Ghost Recon folder.

Can you copy and paste your ike.log here? It's in your C:\Program Files\Red Storm Entertainment\Ghost Recon folder.

Wow, that was fast. :)

Well, that's what I can find in the ike.log file, but the date of the last changing of this file is about 10 days ago, and I had the crash just today, so I'm not sure if we can find the reason of the problem in here.

***** User's system configuration *****

CPU: GenuineIntel 3310 MHz Pentium III Coppermine

RAM: 4096 MB

O/S: Microsoft Windows NT Family 6.1 Service Pack 1 build 7601

Igor (RELEASE) version = 1.1.0.0(0)

HAL (hw vp): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti X8R8G8B8

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file ike_fx_fire_type2.tga

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file ike_fx_fire_type2.rsb

Unable to find ike_fx_fire_type2.tga anywhere.

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file lighthalo_effect3.rsb

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file lighthalo_effect3.rsb

Unable to find lighthalo_effect3.rsb anywhere.

RSSoundMgrPC: Selecting sound device Lautsprecher (Realtek High Definition Audio)

driver is {0.0.0.00000000}.{a39ed15a-eeb8-4a43-aa69-68209bdb9527}

RSInputImpl: Could not set keyboard coop level E_HANDLE

RSInputImpl: Could not set coop level on mouse E_HANDLE

Loading map c:\program files (x86)\red storm entertainment\ghost recon\mods\mp1\map\d03_depot\d03_depot.map

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file pow_drybush.rsb

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file pow_drybush.rsb

Unable to find pow_drybush.rsb anywhere.

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file tall_grass.rsb

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file tall_grass.rsb

Unable to find tall_grass.rsb anywhere.

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file plantleaf.rsb

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file plantleaf.rsb

Unable to find plantleaf.rsb anywhere.

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file m03_pow_shrub.rsb

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file m03_pow_shrub.rsb

Unable to find m03_pow_shrub.rsb anywhere.

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file tall_grasslod.rsb

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file tall_grasslod.rsb

Unable to find tall_grasslod.rsb anywhere.

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file leafylod.rsb

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file leafylod.rsb

Unable to find leafylod.rsb anywhere.

MissionFile: Could not open c:\program files (x86)\red storm entertainment\ghost recon\mods\custom\mission\x02_traindepot_viele_feinde.mis for saving