Power Supply Connections

Dick Splash

I'm just installing a new PSU. My video card requires a 6 pin and an 8 pin PCI connection.

Do I connect one cable from the PSU which has a 6+2 pin with a 6 pin splitter, or two cables from the rear of the PSU ie. a 6+2 pin and a separate 6 + 2 for the 6 pin slot?

ie. one cable with a splitter, or two separate cables from the PSU?

DS

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that Pave. I thought it best too anyway, and bluffed my way through the rest of the PSU install. I'm not sure if this has happened to you or anyone in here before, but a few months ago I was watching a youtube video and the PC just died on me. I could smell a burning smell which was obviously a worry. I soon narrowed it down to the PSU [smell-wise], and then replaced the fuse. It blew again. Fortunately it was still under warranty with the supplier and they swapped it for a different model, same brand high end PSU. I finally got around to it when I started this thread.

DS

:thumbsup:

I'm not sure if this has happened to you or anyone in here before, but a few months ago I was watching a youtube video and the PC just died on me.

Actually has to me,

a number of years ago I was playing a very late-night coop game (IIRC it was either OFP or VBS1) with several guys from UK, US and Australia, we had been playing for several hours having a great time and we were just right in the middle of an assault on the final objective base when suddenly my PC just shut off (fortunately I wasn't hosting)

for a second I thought there had been a power-cut but could see right away that other lights/electric items in house were still on

tried restarting but PC wouldn't power on and as by then it was very late (or should that be early) I turned in and went to bed

hoping the others were successful in completing the assault.

A quick check in the morning confirmed the PSU had died, fortunately was able to pick a good replacement PSU in-town the same day to get me up and running again and then ordered a better modular PSU on-line for delivery at the weekend.

I could smell a burning smell which was obviously a worry. I soon narrowed it down to the PSU [smell-wise], and then replaced the fuse. It blew again.

Yeah is normally OK to try a reset just once to see if event was a one-off (but obviously if same-thing happens again then means do have a fault that must be resolved).

Fortunately it was still under warranty with the supplier and they swapped it for a different model, same brand high end PSU.

Yes PSU's are a such an important component it is always best to pay a bit more to get a really good quality high-end PSU with a higher rating than may initially estimate you need as is really a false economy to cut corners to save a few pounds by skimping on capacity or quality.

Good job it was under warranty and you got it replaced without any unnecessary hassle,

Yeah

Personally nowadays I only go for ones with modular connectors too

so can guaranty I have exactly the right cables with the number and type of plugs that I need

and as I connect only what I'm using, I no longer have to "battle" the octopus that you get with fixed loom cables with a generic amount and type of plugs

half of which you usually don't need or use (& not enough of one you do) and end up having to tie back and tidy away in the case

Personally nowadays I only go for ones with modular connectors too

so can guaranty I have exactly the right cables with the number and type of plugs that I need

It's partially modular, and I've still got some excess, but there's more room in the bottom of my Blackbird case now, since replacing the Cooler Master 1200W. That was more like an alien face hugger.

DS