WD's Dead Space 2 Zealot Guide

oh yes, the needle goes straight through his head i believe :P

well both say the same thing, so i just took a guess at nicole, she also says things in steps when Isaac goes into the machine, and has a needle in his eye only like you said, Stross uses a screwdriver :P

i dont like Nolan, he creeped me out possibly one of the few people i would hate to meet down a dark alley :P. in which case,

you owe me an eye you ######!

poor Ellie :(

and i use the javelin gun now and then, depends on the situation, seeing Tiedemann use it near the end on isaac i still dont get how when he is on the ship with ellie, suddenly his wounds are gone :/

Edited by zeealice

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easter Egg: after the encounter with Nolan attacking Isaac with the screwdriver, stomping Nolan's corpse reveals a secret Audio Log. Nolan Stross is sane compared to Charles Mercer in DS1. Also, I know where to find a secret 10, 000 credits at the start of Chapter 13.

And you know that Chapter 10, USG Ishimura, is Dead Space 1 revisited? The area you have access to is the first four chapters of DS1.

How far along in your Zealot run are you now?

I'm thinking about doing a second Zealot run soon, for the sole purpose of conducting weapon stress-tests.

Re: Tiedemann Javelin'ing Isaac, I agree. Also notice that when a Javelin Spear hits an enemy, they go flying - Isaac doesn't. There's a similar instance in DS1, with Nicole opening a door for Isaac, which cannot be possible, seeing what you find out about Nicole right at the end of DS1. Also notice that his eye is magically healed after the encounter with Nicole and the Marker during the endgame.

Edited by WytchDokta

sorry, my T.V isn't the best in the world :P

You might be right actually, I could be seeing green as yellow - being that I have a benign tumour on my eye. Thus, I have a blind/very blurry area in my vision, as confirmed by my opticians, yet Moorfields insist that it is NOT affecting my vision.

Zealot tip for y'all: don't hesistate to pick up items you don't need; the Store has unlimited capacity. Plus, you never know when you'll have need of those items. If you need creds, you could sell those itesm. It's a win-win situation. I'd recommend also using up Power Nodes to open locked doors as there's goodies inside. Sometimes there's even schematics and Power Nodes in locked room. Also check down off ledges, some schematics are hidden in the dark.

Maybe I should knock up a DS2 Elite Suits schematics locations guide too. Zeealex, have you started your Zealot run yet?

• 1 month later...

Additional info re: Suits/Weapons for a Zealot run - a very good combination from the DLC's is the Elite Security Suit along with the Triage Javelin Gun. This combination confers a total of 25% damage increase to the Javelin Gun primary fire. Using the Bloody Javelin Gun instead of the Triage counterpart along with this suit confers a 25% damage increase to Javelin Gun secondary fire. Either way, it's a win-win situation as this is highest total damage increase in-game. All other Suits/Weapons combinations will net you only a maximum of a 10% or 15% damage increase. So the Elite Security Suit along with the Triage/Bloody Javelin Gun should in effect make Hardcore a breeze, even when the weapons aren't upgraded (atleast for the first few chapters.)

Zeealice/Zeealex, please let me know which weapons you used on your Hardcore run. I still need to beat Hardcore - I'm at a stalemate; think I took many weapons and focused on upgrading RIG before weapons. I'm thinking of starting over, and using the Plasma Cutter and Force Gun (as much as I dislike the Force Gun) only.

The Javelin Gun along with Force Gun might also work as an effective combination.

Edited by WytchDokta

• 2 weeks later...

I figure that for my next Zealot run, I'm going to conduct a weapons/equipment stress test. I'll make new saves, at the start of each chapter, and replay each section with a. Different loadout. I also wasnt to record it, but it's not so easy to record directly from Xbox.

What I want to do for the stress test is to limit my loadout as much as possible, so 2 weapons rather than 4, limited ammo & meds, etc. My aim is to certain theories to rest, such as the Contact Beam vs Force Gun and Javelin Gun vs Seeker Rifle debates, in which there's mixed views on which of the weapons is actually better.

Of course, we all know that nothing beats using the Detonator as a grenade launcher, much less using the Seeker Rifle as a crowd control weapon. :)

Additional info re: Suits/Weapons for a Zealot run - a very good combination from the DLC's is the Elite Security Suit along with the Triage Javelin Gun. This combination confers a total of 25% damage increase to the Javelin Gun primary fire. Using the Bloody Javelin Gun instead of the Triage counterpart along with this suit confers a 25% damage increase to Javelin Gun secondary fire. Either way, it's a win-win situation as this is highest total damage increase in-game. All other Suits/Weapons combinations will net you only a maximum of a 10% or 15% damage increase. So the Elite Security Suit along with the Triage/Bloody Javelin Gun should in effect make Hardcore a breeze, even when the weapons aren't upgraded (atleast for the first few chapters.)

Zeealice/Zeealex, please let me know which weapons you used on your Hardcore run. I still need to beat Hardcore - I'm at a stalemate; think I took many weapons and focused on upgrading RIG before weapons. I'm thinking of starting over, and using the Plasma Cutter and Force Gun (as much as I dislike the Force Gun) only.

The Javelin Gun along with Force Gun might also work as an effective combination.

i'm so sorry Wytch i didn't see this.

i used the plasma cutter, puls rifle and force gun are probably your best bet for a hardcore run.

out of interest why would you want to stress test the weapons? :huh:

Im still a lover of the flame thrower when in tight spots, and did you know there is a way to go back through the area without being chased by the ubermorph, after you have been chased to the area where you go down the lift and into the area where there is a door, that leads to the part with the anti gravity switch, don,t bother fighting all the attackers and the ubermorph just run past them all go through the door and activate the switch, and then turn it off, go back into the area you have just been through and all of them have disappeared allowing you to back track all the way to the room with eye drill machine and you can then pick all the goodies up without any hindrance, or you could just do it the hard way and fight em all :lol:

Also, Wireman, did you know you can actually kill the Ubermorph in the last room before the stand-off with Tiedemann? And I don't mean by shooting the Ubermorph either.

Those of you on the console version that have the Severed DLC and have unlocked the 'Grind House' achievement/trophy should be able to figure out how to do this without me explaining it. :whistle:

Update on the weapons front: I just played through the drill ride section again and forced myself to only use Pulse Rifle and Javelin Gun. This is a very effective combination. The Javelin Gun (along with Force Gun) will propel enemies over the side of the drill, but it will take a few shots on higher difficulties. They will become gibs once they hit the walls of the tunnels. You'll need to be a fast shot and do rapid reloads, aswell as having a good aim against the Lurkers in the distance. The Pulse Rifle is for backup, and for when you haven't got time to reload the Javelin Gun.

Edited by WytchDokta

Right, I just went back through the part wiith the Ubermorph and can confirm what Wireman said. You can indeed go all the way back to the Eye Poke machine room once you deactivate the gravity/oxygen control panel. Literally, you can deactivate it straight after you've activated it from the same panel. This is in some sort of tunnel room with some industrial pistons (which can squash you) in it and a Nest at the far end.

Thing is though, because I deactivated it just as it was activated, the Necromorphs hadn't by that time moved into the vents, they were just stood there glitched (they CAN move about in the vents, reappearing at another vent in rooms, but they CANNOT reappear in vents in adjacent rooms, even rooms on other floors). Same can be done at other points in the game, most notably at the first elevator in Ch. 13. When the Necros attack at the bottom, hop back in the elevator. You don't even need to ride the lift up. Wait a bit and the Necros will ###### off (momentarily). Ride the elevator back to the top, get out, get back in and ride it back down to the bottom. Then when you get out, the Necros will be stood there in the middle of the room and won't see you until you appraoch them or shoot at them. It's essentially glitching, but whatever, this stuff can help people complete their Zealot/Hardcore playthroughs with a little more ease.

After I dealt with those stragglers, I went all the way back to the Eye Poke machine room. I even found a Diamond Semiconductor and some Power Nodes that I hadn't found before. Also, on the part where there's an elevator (where you run into 3 enhanced Slashers), I was greeted with an Ubermorph roar (rawr?) after exiting that elevator after coming back to this area. So I carried a stasis can with me back to the Eye Poke machine room just incase the Ubermorph showed up on my way back through, but it didn't.

In certain areas, you can also shoot out lights and even shoot some hanging lights off ceilings (including the respective fittings and surrounds), but it's in vain as Necros can see in the dark apparently. Bet some of you didn't know that. One more thing, the Viintage Suit 'statue' in the transport hub in Ch. 6 can be carried and thrown about via kinesis, but it will simply vanish if you take it through the door leading out of that area. Like I always say, it's amazing what you can find out from messing around. :)

Edited by WytchDokta

Oh thats strange whenever I have gone back into the room after activating and deactivating the switch all the necros have vanished completely and don,t reappear at all I have even tried it on different hardness levels and its allways the same, but I haven,t tried it on hardcore yet but am hoping it will be the same as it will save alot of hassle when it comes to that part, I didn,t know the ubermorph could be killed I shall have to try it out, I just liked shooting his legs off, and watch him wriggling on the floor :lol:

I'm prepping for a new hardcore run too. Didn't complete my first oneas I got stuck on Ch.13 - out of credits and low on ammo. I think my problem was that I was using primarily the Contactt Beam and ammo for it is 4, 000 creds, which gets you only 2 rounds. On the contrary, the Javelin Gun has the cheapest ammo in-game (400 creds for 2 rounds) - that 3, 600 creds I could have saved each time buying ammo. And I tried it with 4 weapons which gives you less total ammo - 2 weapons means ammo only drops for those 2 weapons, in effect giving a lot more total ammo. Might see if maxing out weapons stats with Power Nodes before RIG this time gives better results.

I'm putting the Javelin Gun through its paces now to prep for my hardcore run. So far to good effect, but then again, it's fully upgraded and won't be during a hardcore run, atleast to start with.

Clue to killing the Ubermorph (can ONLY be done in the last room before Tiedemann encounter): you'll need a number of stasis packs, and won't need to dismember it. Look around the room, think outside the box, there is a way to kill him in that room, although you're not meant to do it and it yields no benefits. Like I said, employing the Grind Hoiuse achievement logic in this room works.

Edited by WytchDokta

Its no good I have tried several ways to kill the ubermorph, I though it was trapping him under the door when you release it but that didn,t work, and then I thought it might involve the spinning fan and somehow knocking him into it but that too failed so Im stumped now, so would you be kind enough to put me out of my misery and let on how its done :please:

The fan method. Push it into the fan while it's under the effects of stasis (while it has its legs of course). You might need Contact Beam (alt fire) or Force Gun to push it.

Just want to point out, i've not actually tried this myself yet, but I had several people tell me it can be killed via pushing/knocking it into the fan.

Also, here's a tip for Zealot weapons of choice: Bloody Javelin Gun (DLC). I'm doing a Hardcore practice run on Survivalist, being that on Hardcore the amout of punishment they can deal and withstand is the same as Survivalist (while amount of ammo received from pickups is the same as Zealot.) I'm using primarily the Javelin Gun with the Pulse Rifle as backup/crowd control. Fully upgraded, a Bloody Javelin Gun can (in theory) one shot kill enhanced Necros including Brutes - just shoot them anywhere then hit alt fire. You only actually fire one round, but alt fire uses up one round. So, in theory, a one shot kill. I was quite suprised that even Brutes can be killed so easily with the Bloody Javelin Gun. So my aim for my Hardcore run is to max out dmg on that Javelin Gun as early on in the game as possible. Plus, with both the Bloody and Triage Javelin Guns in my inventory, it should double my ammo pickups. :)

Edited by WytchDokta

Yes WytchDokta it can be done, I found the force gun best for doing it, enter the room run up to the fan so he follows you then stasis him run aound him and fire the force gun at him, this will knock him back either into the fan itself or in to the side of it both of which kill him off, I think its more of a glytch then actuall game play but was fun to do :D

I'm sure you'll have fun trying to kill the Hunter (regenerating Necro) in DS1. In fact, actually get to kill him 3 times in DS1 but the ######er keeps coming back, pursuing you across several levels, not just half of a level like the Ubermorph. You might have guessed that the USG Ishimura (DS2, Ch. 10) is where DS1 takes place. The area you have access to in DS2 is the first four levels of DS1, albeit accessing areas through different doors that were locked in DS1. For example, you know 'Two Brute Corridor' in DS2? You access that area in DS1 through the side door. Also, locked lockers on DS1 are unlocked in the same areas of DS2, and vice versa. It's cool how thety did that.

Right, I'm off for some late night DS1 action. I should get time to start my new Hardcore run the week after next. Tell you what Wireman, I'll race you. Do our Hardcore runs at the same time and see who finishes first. :rofl:

Im going to attempt a hard core run next week and will probably take the seeker rifle, flame thrower and detonator gun. I know some have mentioned the flame thrower as not a good choice but I have found that there are three or four times during the game that it is very handy when swamped with necros at taking em out, when with another weapon they might have slipped past and got too close for comfort. , I tried one run before and was doing quite well but got killed stupidly in chapter five, so am hoping to avoid repeating that mistake, but the air was blue for some time after that as you can imagine, I shall let you know how it goes :D

Interesting choice of weapons. It allows you to cover all combat scenarios I guess. I'm a big fan of the Seeker Rifle myself, and would normally take it in preference to the Javelin Gun. But IMO, the Javelin Gun is logistically the best choice for a Hardcore run because its ammo is the cheapest in game. In fact, with such cheap ammo, I might even be able to factor in a third weapon to my Hardcore run without spending too much money on ammo. Certainly this time around I won't encounter the same difficulties as I'll be leaving the Contact Beam behind - Contact Beam ammo costs 10 times as much as Javelin Gun ammo. So I should have a lot more creds to spend anyway. Plus the extra creds, meds and Power Nodes be the doors unlocked by DS: Ignition saves will come in handy, aswell as the 'secret' 10, 000 creds at the start of Ch. 13. But did you know that if you have some spare time, the Detonator can bring in creds for you, especially if you have the DLC Detonators - you get free starting ammo, only 3 rounds as a fully loaded base mag, with it. And you can pick up deactivated rounds and sell them. The DLC Detonators cost no creds to purchase nor to sell, but sell the rounds and Detonators after fring off the rounds, deactivating them and picking them up. Then repeat the cycle. It's a very slow way of getting free creds and some people see it as cheating.

I want to do my second Hardcore attempt next week too, while my plan is fresh in my mind, but I'll be visiting friends up in the ol' Gogledd Cymru (North Wales).

Same advice from my Zealot guide applies in all areas on Hardcore. Only differences being that you have limited saves, you can carry your upgrades from a previous run through to a Hardcore run, and enemies on Hardcore are in fact weaker than on Zealot. But seriously people, if you though Zealot was hard, try Impossible on Dead Space - you can't take you upgrades into an Impossible run (but you still can use DLC stuff) and enemies are bloody hard to kill (it takes a few shots fro m a fully upgrades Plasma Cutter to slice a single off even). On the plus side, you CAN use DLC stuff (if manage to make it to the first store rather than noobing out) and you get unlimited saves.

Edited by WytchDokta