Backing up Win XP game files for later Win 7 OS...

Kyle_K_ski

One of the things that I'm soon doing is backing up all of my currently installed games' directories from the Win. XP hard drive, with the intention of pasting them over the new installation of the same titles, but on the new Windows 7 operating system.

Are there certain files that I shouldn't copy? For example, I'm going to be installing the 64-bit version of Win. 7, so I'm not sure if during the installation process of one of these games if different files are going to be installed that I wouldn't want to overwrite because the games' files were originally generated in Win. XP which is a 32-bit system.

For that matter, maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong. Since I'm using Windows 7 Professional Upgrade due to my previous ownership of Win XP, maybe I need to install these older, pre-64 bit titles in what's referred to the Win. 7 literature as the "Win XP Mode," whatever that is?

I hope that I'm making sense here.

I guess that I'll find out soon enough, won't I?

Thanks in advance for any input and clarifications!

with the intention of pasting them over the new installation of the same titles, but on the new Windows 7 operating system.

Noooooo do Not do that!

One of the things that I'm soon doing is backing up all of my currently installed games' directories from the Win. XP hard drive,

that part is Good, copy each of current game folders (make sure to also get any game files that are stored under the user profiles too as not all files are under the game) to an external hard drive (so you can be confident that you do have a complete copy of all current files so you wont have accidentally missed any save game stuff that you might discover later that you actually needed)

Then install win 7 and then install each of your games one at a time from the CD/DVD's and then patch them up to relevant versions

but you only need to copy to the new install a few specific files, things like; Mods, Unlocked missions, unlocked character files Etc and any "save games" progress (each game will be different so you will need to read up on each one to find out what the particular relevant files are )

do not just paste everything back over the nice clean fresh install of the game.

I would also advise you to run each game and let each game create it's own new fresh config file for things like graphic/sound settings and then change the settings manually in-game (rather than use the old config's from the XP install)

Since I'm using Windows 7 Professional Upgrade due to my previous ownership of Win XP, maybe I need to install these older, pre-64 bit titles in what's referred to the Win. 7 literature as the "Win XP Mode,"

Nope, absolutely most definitely not ever in this or any other parallel dimension

Basically the "Win XP Mode" is a big con and PR job, that you wont need at all.

Despite what the adverts may seem to say it is NOT like just having a full version of XP running inside Windows 7

it is just a virtual environment that is only meant for some business software to run (so companies can continue to run some older applications) It is not intended to run GAMES

EG windows 7 will have control/access of your Graphics Card and other PC hardware not the virtual environment.

the Windows 7 O/S all by itself will run most XP games completely fine without even bothering to even use a compatibility mode

and the few that don't can normally be run ok just by using one of the compatibility modes unless it is really really old.

*If for some reason you have a vital cant live without XP application/game that is very old and just wont run under win 7 no matter what - then you would be better off just having a dual boot XP/Win 7 system (or just run XP on a separate old PC/laptop) rather than paying extra $$$$$ for that "Win XP Mode" junk

hhhmm, the only game xp to 7 transfers i have been able to do are from 32 bit to 32 bit, and the game didnt require a disk to run, so if any games require a disk to run, the disk has to make it's signiature in the registry, which copying the keys and binary data from a 32 bit to 64 bit OS is increasingly risky, it might be easier to let the disks do their jobs. if you dont have the disks, and you can still play them then file transfer without registry entries wont be an issue

Pave's got there first, with some good advice. Data files are (almost always) no different on 32 bit and 64 bit system so copying over save files , mods, settings configs etc. is fine. But win7, and especially Win7 64 bit treat programs locations quite different, user folders, AppData folders and so on. Partly from its revised security model. Check out WoW64 on Wikipedia for a start.

So I would fully agree with Pave, install afresh, start the game and create a profile, see where that has stored the profile files and try swapping over your saved files from there.

Edited by scott_dft

Not sure if you have Steam? If so, You can backup all your steam games by copying the steamapps folder, and your save game locations. Install steam, transfer the files back, and verify file integrity, all done.

Recently did this with nearly 20 games, (over 100GB of files), from XP to W7, no issues. All those games no need to reinstall.

You basically copy all the main files needed for the games, then steam checks them all, and fixes anything needed, real good stuff.

Folks,

I apologize for my poor wording, as I failed to mention that I have every intention of installing the games from the discs once Win. 7 Professional Upgrade is up and running. I just didn't know if there were obvious files that were "exclusively 32-bit" which I shouldn't bothering copying.

Thanks for the advice everyone!