What Operating System would you choose out of the following?

Zeealex

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

just a quick Poll, I understand that most people here are gamers so I added Dual boot into the first question. if there is anything you want to say, just say it here. everyone has the right to an opinion, just keep it subtle.

just playing around a little.

what i would change about my Chosen OS is the process of installing new Applications like VLC, having to go through numerous terminal commands gets a little annnoying

Edited by Zeealex

at the moment i am still on dual boot with linux and Windows 7, and i have to say, Linux is much faster, much more secure and much more stylish than windows 7, it took me 3 minutes 45 seconds to load IE9 in windows and less than 5 seconds to load firefox in Ubuntu. Ubuntu allows me to edit the theme, and that is more than just the task bar and the window's top panel. it allow me to change the window colours, size and transpaerncy.

shut down speed is another issue, windows 7 took me 2 minutes to shut down, Ubuntu, 30 seconds.

the only issues with ubuntu is the compatability and the process of installations in new programs, like VLC and adobe flash player and possibly the loadup process with all the commands popping up on screen before the splash.

but it is good people are still Using XP which is in my eyes the more favoured one of the Windows OS's

I am partial to Windows Xp. Most of the games I like crash in windows 7. Also with newer games they are gonna require DX10 which I run Winxp 32bit so im sol anyways. If I could get all my game sto run on Ubuntu and teamspeak I would switch in a heartbeat. Ubuntu is better than all of MS OSes. imo anyways

First i used XP, then 3 years ago i started using Ubuntu. I really liked it and i was using for 2 years. Then one day i got tired of it. I had everything as i wanted and it was cool and what it is more important it worked great.

Minor problems when i was messing around with it. Like when you get that resolution problem and you have to reconfigure the X server (or whatever it was called). Other than that i had 0 problems and i really liked the search for solutions for the compatibilities issues you had with some parts (webcam, ipod, ..)

Now i am using Win7, cause as i said i got tired of Ubuntu (not its problem, but me being bored). I can say i cannot touch any WinXP now, Win7 overpasses it clearly. And i think it's a great OS. I must confess I am lucky and i can get it from work so that's why i am using. They "force" me to do some homework so i can install the OS on my PC to be able to do that. If i wouldn't be able to get the win7 i would be still using Ubuntu.

I will probably try again Ubuntu on some of the PCs at home.

About your problems with Win7, it sounds really weird. To me it takes less than 2 seconds to open IE9. And i have to say that i use Opera. Other thing i cannot life without. When i touch other PC and have to deal with Firefox or IE9, puff, my efficiency drops to 50% :D (mouse gestures, notes, ...)

On win7 i would add some easier personalization. Linux wins there by far and thats great.

Edited by Big

On win7 i would add some easier personalization. Linux wins there by far and thats great.

admittedly windows has its moments, the gaming side of it is fab, it works great not a lag in sight, i just wish opening applications wasnt unbearably slow. but given the choice between windows XP and Windows 7, i would no doubt go with the old dog.

oh! as for the customising of Windows 7 Try this i used to use it on XP to make it a little more stylish, dont change too much and once the trial runs out, go to control panel and set the default there.

I am partial to Windows Xp. Most of the games I like crash in windows 7. Also with newer games they are gonna require DX10 which I run Winxp 32bit so im sol anyways. If I could get all my game sto run on Ubuntu and teamspeak I would switch in a heartbeat. Ubuntu is better than all of MS OSes. imo anyways

agreed, but once they get the game compatability, there will be all sorts of adverse effects too.

I'd go for windows 7 because it works, fresh install picks up all your hardware and installs drivers, none of that pesky downloading drivers to get bits running, the only problem i've got with it is some older games refuse to work on it. But to be honest, theyre old and I cant see me playing them anyway. :D

Win7 :huh:

Of the same reason because i already choosed XP and VISTA.

Microsoft and its position is placed damn everywhere.

What operating system can I choose if there is only one which makes it possible to play like on Microsoft PCs.

With PC i can combine work, gaming, communication and hobby without buying 3 different consoles to play all games, a big TV and different specialized systems.

MAC is also nice. Have to work with it a lot because iam mediadesigner.Sometimes a bit slow, but stable.

LINUX: Tested it in 2003 ... but that was too complicated for me.

Regards

Ares

Hi Alex, added dual boot of Win 7 64 Bit with Ubuntu through WUBI.

Windows because it is a gaming and family pc, would not be popular if couldn't run whatever the family wanted to without effort or repeatedly saying 'try this instead'. The wife even insists on using iTunes :wacko:. Should probably be glad she isn't pushing to go the whole hog and get an Apple! Pretty impressive OS win7. Not sure what I would say to change, as most use (and hence issues) is with the layers above the OS. Suppose obvious one is price and the fact that MS uses versions to charge even more for features to make up the complete OS.

Oddly for gaming it is the newest game that I'm having problems with moving from XP to Win7. The game is DIRT 2. Internet is full of stories of how this game has so many issues.

Ubuntu on this PC is not used on this PC that much, to be honest. I do have Ubuntu as sole OS on one of the kids PCs (mainly to keep cost down) and it does work very well in that role, most of the time. The only thing I couldn't do was get the TV tuner working :( and using an ATI X1950 (Windows was not effortless earlier, needing earlier drivers). the dual boot on the main pc is really for testing before altering the Ubuntu only pc. Perhaps others could explain why they bother using linux on a pc that has license for windows.

Dual boot Win 7 and Ubuntu on my desktop.

Just Ubuntu on my netbook.

For gaming, Windows is a requirement. If I could change one thing, that would be it. Otherwise, development and general use are all superior under Linux. Applications are easier to install and there are a wide variety of tools available. Plus support for older devices is much better under Linux.

Yeah the comparability issues are never resolved when you switch OSes. I wish they were but Games Like Joint Operations,Ghost Recon,Rainbow Six 3 Ravenshield and a slew of others have unknown and constant crashes. My gaming is pretty much over on PC as I have switched to PS3 and will go with next Sony console machine as well.I tell ya I am impressed with my PS3 for gaming and I was one of those guys who refused to switch. Anyways reason I bring this up is i'll probably switch to Ubuntu with an emulator like Wine or something to run the older games.

Edited by twcrash