OA DLC # 2: Private Military Company - Launch Trailer

Prague, Czech Republic 25th November -

Bohemia Interactive, the award winning Czech independent development studio, is pleased to announce the release of the launch trailer for Arma 2: Private Military Company. This brand new add-on enlarges the enormous Armaversum with a new faction: contractors. The PC exclusive release is scheduled on 30th November 2010.

Bohemia’s CEO, Marek Spanel, comments: “This new trailer shows our focus on a more story and character-driven narrative for the Arma 2: PMC campaign. Our cast includes characters from various nations, which the voice acting represents; creating a very interesting blend of accents. By watching the trailer players will get a good taste of the intense atmosphere in this latest add-on.”

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkJz5DzuJ0Y?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkJz5DzuJ0Y?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkJz5DzuJ0Y?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

It's a paid download only DLC for Operation Arrowhead.

*just like the 1st DLC British Armed Forces (BAF)

**See the other DLC threads in this forum for more details.

To use the DLC's you must have either:

Just Operation Arrowhead (which can be standalone) installed on it's own.

or Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead both installed together as a combined game (which is known as Arma 2: Combined Operations).

oh Heck yes, without hesitation :thumbsup:

Aside from all the new and ongoing DLC it leads too, OA is well worth it in it’s own right

http://www.arma2.com/arma-2-oa_en.html

and you should be able to pick it up at a good price nowadays

If I had to choose again today and for some reason could only get A2 or OA, then I would definitely get OA instead of A2 (but obviously both is better)

The trailer was nice entertainment, but as usual (for all trailers) really did not show much gameplay.

To help those on the fence. There is a 50% off sale for all Arma games this weekend, on both Steam and Sprocket.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4639/

http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=64

I presume this is to help those who are interested in the upcoming PMC DLC, but are on the fence because of cost of the base game.

Well worth it in my opinion.

To help those on the fence. There is a 50% off sale for all Arma games this weekend, on both Steam and Sprocket.

http://store.steampo...d.com/sub/4639/

http://www.sprocketi...emart&Itemid=64

I presume this is to help those who are interested in the upcoming PMC DLC, but are on the fence because of cost of the base game.

Well worth it in my opinion.

The 50% sale does not seem to include ArmA?

The 50% sale does not seem to include ArmA?

It does, look at the sprocket link (the second one) ArmA Gold for £ 8.54

But why would you want to buy ArmA now? :tumbleweed: It was never properly optimised and the Devs have long since moved on to better things

A2: Op Arrowhead is where the party is at nowadays :party:

But if you really want to look backwards..... you should Skip ArmA and go straight to old school ....Operation Flashpoint ;)

But why would you want to buy ArmA now? :tumbleweed: It was never properly optimised and the Devs have long since moved on to better things

A2: Op Arrowhead is where the party is at nowadays :party:

This is where my only grumble resides.

If I want to buy Arma, I want to buy a new game and play it. never properly optimised is a poor excuse to sell games.

Arma 2 is the same. Nice to see them continue to work on there game. But I only have Arma 2. I have to buy the expansion to benefit from DLC? When Arma2 can still hold so many issues alone. Sometimes quality does come before quantity.

Smaller maps from BIS with less content and we could be getting somewhere.

This is where my only grumble resides.

If I want to buy Arma, I want to buy a new game and play it. never properly optimised is a poor excuse to sell games.

Arma 2 is the same. Nice to see them continue to work on there game. But I only have Arma 2. I have to buy the expansion to benefit from DLC? When Arma2 can still hold so many issues alone. Sometimes quality does come before quantity.

Smaller maps from BIS with less content and we could be getting somewhere.

To be fair they did always say right from the start back in 2005 when they recognised that the permanently delayed flashpoint sequel just wasn't going to happen and they made the decision to "split away" from codemasters and to forge ahead with 2 games themselves, the first game would be to enable them to get a foot back in the market and to provide the war chest necessary to work on the longer goal to release a proper "Next gen" (game 2) some 2-3 years later.

so we always were aware that "Game 1" would be a stepping stone on the route to "Game 2" and that realistically "Game 1" (ArmA) would only have a 2 year life, which is more than some titles (like when Ubi sacked/moved the team that build a game shortly after it's release and then had to bring in a new fresh team in to write the patches (which worked out really well for them NOT))

but what we didn't expect was

a. That Game 2 (Arma 2) felt like it was being rushed to market as there was still obvious bugs that had been noted but that were not fixed in the gold master code that was released to retail

b. Then barely 2 months after the release came the bombshell when they suddenly announced the Standalone Game Operation arrowhead with a new improved engine that they couldn't retrofit to the Arma 2 engine (and bits seemingly lifted from VBS 2) which did make a lot of us wonder why they didn't just delay Arma 2 for 6 months and release a much much better game(as you only get once chance to make a good first impression)

seemingly cashflow seems to be a big issue for them and that they would rather get some cash in right away for an 80% ok game and then work on the bugs ?

right now I don't mind buying the DLC's for A2:OA as they are like a very top notch mod and they are reasonably priced too and more importantly I am hopeful that they are funding BIS so they can continue to improve and develop A2:OA for some time and we are on the verge of a fantastic game if they can just polish it some more

I'd rather have that than to have them suddenly announce Arma 3 next year ! (unless of course A3 is going to be perfect on release day (yeah we are suckers that live in desperate hope... just look at us clinging on to GR.....and Rainbow six))

The BIS business model always seemed to go like this

• Make game
  • Wait for community to test game
  • Let community augment game
  • Patch game

Now they've just added some new steps

• Oh ###### we need money
  • Quick grab some stuff from that other game
  • Make DLC
  • Get the electricity turned back on
  • Patch game

...and this seems to work for them because, despite the its flaws, it is still an excellent game (or engine maybe, alot of the 'game' aspects like sound and missions and writing are just shocking). I just hope as Pave Low says they don't abandon it soon and jump to Arma 3, because there are obviously still alot of things that need attention. Like it's a pretty poor show that none of the cool Arrowhead features like lasers and backpacks are backwards compatible.

Arma2/OA isn't perfect and it does have a few bugs but what can be created with this game far outweighs the negative stuff - and if you work with it and accept its faults then it can be a brilliant milsim.

I urge you to try my campaign when it's out - i've cut my teeth on about 7 GR-style missions now using Chernarus and OA and am working hard now to produce what I am confident will be a great example of how Arma2 can be a modern day GR.

even CQB is starting to become GR-like with community modifications and stealth can also be achieved (i have had enemy patrols pass within 15 meters of me and my prone AI and not see us) - 2 of the things that seemed to be the biggest gripes of the Arma series.

in terms of map size - you dont need 40 small maps - you just need GR-size missions on the bigger maps - too easy. my campaign on Lingor will demonstrate this clearly - every mission takes place on one island in unique locations.

re: Arma3 - my understanding is they will not release another game to the public but focus on milsim for sale to the military.

right now I don't mind buying the DLC's for A2:OA as they are like a very top notch mod and they are reasonably priced too and more importantly I am hopeful that they are funding BIS so they can continue to improve and develop A2:OA for some time and we are on the verge of a fantastic game if they can just polish it some more

I'd rather have that than to have them suddenly announce Arma 3 next year ! (unless of course A3 is going to be perfect on release day (yeah we are suckers that live in desperate hope... just look at us clinging on to GR.....and Rainbow six))

I agree completely. Although I would replace A2:OA with A2:CO above, as I find the mix of terrain, units, and equipment much more complete when playing CO (that's Combined Operations which is the game you get when you run OA on top of stock ArmA2), My only real complaint is that BI has not bothered to fully update the ArmA2 items (vehicles and weapons in particular) to OA standards and features. I am sure it would require a fair bit of effort, but I really think it would be better for them to provide such functionality (perhaps as DLC) rather than rely on the sometimes haphazard efforts of the community to provide such basic integration and functionality.

Currently we have a very functional set of community and in-house developed mods that Alpha Squad is running. In my opinion they provide a great deal of flexibility as well as an appropriate level of realism/stress to make for a very enjoyable gaming experience. And I am sure I will be an early purchaser of the PMC DLC as soon as BI gets it out on Steam.