Finally installing Windows 7!

Rocky

Don't blink during the install or you'll miss it :P

it is that quick and smooth

Windows 7 installation feedback thread - how did it go for you ....

:hmm:.....Ahh, I remember.....

Mine tomorrow, I'll post up how it goes :)

Hopefully over the next 5 days on holiday I'll finally get my new OS installed :thumbsup:

hehe, better late than never :lol: welcome to the Win 7 party :party: (or should we wait till it's definitely on the drive to say that :P)

Wow has it really been 10 months crikey

LMAO, I am soooo behind.

Got my partitioning all worked out for the 3 drives...

Samsung 1TB HD

Games : 300 GB

Websites : 200 GB

Downloads : 60GB

Media Projects : Whatever is left (around 300GB probably)

Samsung 500 GB HD

Digital Photos : 300 GB

MP3 files : 150 GB

Seagate External Drive 300Gb

Backups : Digital Photos + Websites

Hitachi 300 GB HD

Retired :rolleyes: (I am pretty sure there are not enough power connections for three HDs in there)

There's really no reason to partition a hard drive these days unless you want to dual boot into a different OS or something along those lines. You can just make everything one big partition and not ever worry about it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I don't partition a HD into as many parts as I used to, I like to at least have 3 partitions these days: Usually dual booting XP and Vista/Win7 and a 3rd partition for data (docs, movies, music) so if I have to reinstall an OS, I don't have to touch the data. Sometimes like to have a "workspace/scratch partition" to experiment installing stuff on or put raw video etc before editing it.

I used to have a separate partition for the virtual cache, but have been doing that less lately. I just set the cache to a fixed size (at least 4GB) in each respective OS's partition and doesnt' seem to cause much probs.

Welcome to the Darkside.. Muhahahah!

Lets give Rocky a Windows 7 quiz....

1) Can you find how to print a test page to your printer? (It's changed lol)

Next person... ask him a to find something lol

Overall windows 7 is great. Just remember to right click and go to properties and choose run as admin to any games or such that don't play nice.

Next person... ask him a to find something lol

Here's an easy one - where is the "Show Desktop" button on the taskbar?

So far only 2 complaints: 1) The stock ticker gadget for the desktop in Vista is gone - why?? 2) No proper parental controls - have to download Windows Family Safety which seems to be a pain to configure.

Anyhoo, last weekend I just installed Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit on a Dell XPS M1330 I bought for my dad a couple years back. It kept BSODing with Vista and I figured no harm trying Win7 to see if it made a difference (I had tried other things like switching the memory, uninstalling bloatware etc.) So far with Win7 it's working fine, even though I don't believe Dell has released "official Win7 drivers" for this laptop.

Once it's installed, I'll answer those teasers!

Although I could probably guess/answer them already!

Test Page Print. That's easy, fire up Paint Shop Pro, got to print, maintenance, nozzle check. job done lol.

Show Desktop, hmm, I am guessing it's kind of like the XP icon for the desktop somewhere down there.

Show Desktop, hmm, I am guessing it's kind of like the XP icon for the desktop somewhere down there.

Not quite but you are getting warm, if you have aero activated there is quit a cool feature for momentarily showing the desktop. :shifty: