CoD 7: Black Ops - Modtools + Dev console: confirmed

Pave Low

Posted on the CoD forums

We plan to open the game up for modding sometime post-launch. We do not know yet to what extent you will be able to mod the game. There are some purely technical issues related to engine and internal tool enhancements that do not easily fit the modtools paradigm. We have looked at it close enough to see that it is non-trivial and we will have to pick it up again post-launch. Right now we are completely focused on finishing the game.

And, dev console: confirmed.

-pcdev-

• 2 months later...

Hello, I played the MW 2 campaign several times recently. While playing I was imagining what might be possible in the way of GR type modded missions.

I know, no mods there, but I wondered whether COD 7 might have anything possibly, when the mod tools are released. I just heard there aren't spec ops though. However, even SP missions created by the community could be epic.

Is there any chance of this or am I just dreaming too big? :rolleyes:

Edited by Pave Low
Post moved to the correct existing thread for the subject

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just been confirmed for May release

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-14-black-ops-mod-tool-kit-due-in-may

Will be good to see how far this goes. If it allows map editing, adding particle effects, mission scritping etc or is just a half assed tweaking toy for multiplayer. I cant see them giving us a full editor when they make millions for DLC. Activision are too greedy for that.