will there be Stand Alone Dedicated Servers ?

Have you or GhostRecon.net readers heard any more about server support for GRFS ?

The Gravegiggers network [GD] will soon be upgraded to a new network, delivering speeds of 100 megabits per second.

We will be supporting a number a games and our GRAW players want “Ghost Recon Future Soldier” to be one of them.

The new game needs to include support for Stand Alone Dedicated Servers [sADS]

Will there be [sADS] ? That’s the $64,000 Question !

Without Stand Alone Dedicated Servers [sADS] we cannot support the game. Commercial Servers charge outrageous monthly fees for the simple privilege of hosting a server? During this last phase of GRFS game development please let Ubisoft representatives know that not including [sADS] is a poor arrangement which will alienate our PC players, encourage more commercial greed and put the brakes on game development.

For us it is Stand Alone Dedicated Servers [sADS] that makes the game more productive more fun. Thanks Rocky for your elite website and your GRAW support.

GD=_)sQUIZz

Gravediggers Gaming Network www.gddu.net

GRFS won't have SADS.

Ubi's PR people will lead you on about it for a couple of weeks prior to launch with the least specific language they can muster and promise to "look into it after launch" etc. but the finished product will be a 360 port-over and SADS on console games are even rarer than on PC games these days.

Edited by spm1138

• 2 weeks later...

Without Sads or a good anticheat, it will die the death cod4 md2 did on PC. 3 weeks of hype... then aimbot city with no admin control to kick the kiddies out.

OFP:DR is a great example of what happens to a shooter game with no dedicated servers or anti-cheat.

Without Sads or a good anticheat, it will die the death cod4 md2 did on PC. 3 weeks of hype... then aimbot city with no admin control to kick the kiddies out.

OFP:DR is a great example of what happens to a shooter game with no dedicated servers or anti-cheat.

True... and OFP had SOOO MUCH potential...

Agreed, I actually liked the mechanics of the game. But the lack of anything that resembled a full PC game killed it.

Yeah most games are being released with only full single players and a cobbled together multiplayer. BFBC2 finally is almost finished although i've been playing it for like 5 months - server list issuess and friend list issues right from the start. Doesn't anyone release a complete pc game anymore? Seems like there all beta / patch it later if there is a fan base.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone heard if the game will have a dedicated server file so server companies can host the game? Will the make the game so demanding that it will take an entire server to run like their past games?

I am trying to remain positive......

NarcSgt

Edited by Tinker
merged with existing topic

Well the only 'official' word comes from Tommy Jacob and that only relates that the console iterations of the game runs multi-player on listen servers... That the PC version is on the same engine as consoles could be good or bad news... Bad news in that the low cost, fastest path to a PC port might be taken with gruelingly bad match making and all the warts fast, cheap and dirty ports confer.

The good news I learned in exploring prospects for mod support for GR:FS, is that the YETI engine is essentially Unreal Engine 2.5 with some advanced light and shader candy added on... Unreal Engine 2.5 has very mature, robust SADS (and mod tools I might add) -- and as this runs headless any render changes Ubisoft Tiwak made to the engine are moot as far as SADS is concerned, making rolling one out a rather low cost, low drag affair.

But without mod support, and what appears to be better game design applied to COOP than versus design and play; is SADS that important? Put another way, in the event of an either/or proposition what would you rather see for GR:FS: SADS for asset limited multi-player game, or mod support that's on par with what we see in most Unreal Engine games that offer it like Unreal Torunament 2004, America's Army 2, and Red Orchestra?

:o

Edited by 101459

No dedicated server files.......................and the game will die quickly.

Notice the full servers in BF3. Notice the horrible lage and hackers in MW3 that has no ranked server files.

Black Ops 2 will most likely have a great server file for us PC gamers!

I hope UBI listens and gives us a great game with a dedicated server file!

NarcSgt

Edited by NarcSgt

No dedicated server files.......................and the game will die quickly.

Yes, that's generally been the case with PvP only games, but the Ghost Recon franchise has always had a strong COOP contingent where that's a lot less critical, and if there's no SADS I bet that's what Ubisoft is counting on (for better or worse)...

:blink:

The last Ghost Recons looked good but they failed because of the strain on servers. They server companies wanted $100 dollars to run a game because it took up a whole server to run. You would think UBI would have looked at that.

UBI has had a long history of lack of support for their games. They deserted the Rainbow Six series. The series had a huge following and Raven Shield should have been expanded and supported. The Vegas series could have also been a hit. Lack of support on those games and the server files sucked.

Many PC gamers are very cautious buying a UBI game. I am going to wait and see what they do with server files before I purchase. COD MW3 is a waste without a ranked server file. LAG and hackers!

NarcSgt

I asked on the UBI forums in a thread talking about the PC game in which a UBI rep was active in. He managed to reply to a few people who posted after my question and all I got was crickets.....

Their silence in this regard speaks volumes. I'm afraid that they just don't want to confirm, that GR:FS is stright forward port form console and it will have matchmaking system with best ping players hosting games for everyone.

Too bad, because I really like what I see on beta vids. It's not Ghost Recon game of course (and they should remove GR from title), but it looks better than any CoD or any other arcade twitch shooter, and I would gladly play this game waiting for real GR title. I just want to have one more thing before I pre-order, confirmation on real PC support: SADS, mod support and much better graphics + options.

Edited by Joseph_Q

I asked on the UBI forums in a thread talking about the PC game in which a UBI rep was active in. He managed to reply to a few people who posted after my question and all I got was crickets.....

Their silence in this regard speaks volumes. I'm afraid that they just don't want to confirm, that GR:FS is stright forward port form console and it will have matchmaking system with best ping players hosting games for everyone.

A month ago I might have agreed, but, Ubisoft is a huge company with different Studios working on not just different games but different iterations of the same game for different platforms. More then that it's a sure bet that finance and planning are managed separately -- and there's evidence that this may be what lead to conflicting messages that used to come out of Ubi about various games -- so silence may indicate caution about what's not known by all parties in all studios about all plans...

That there was a crescendo of negative feed-back regarding Ubisoft's onerous PC DRM months before Ubisoft responded to the flurry of questions from justifiably angry and frustrated Fans and even press, demonstrates a more cautious effort to deliver a clear message -- Ubi did finally deliver a very deliberate and clear message that PC Fans are getting what they've been asking for in reasonable DRM.

I get a feeling that there is someone at Ubisoft that is not only listening to PC Fans but understands the platform; that for PC sales to succeed a game requires DRM that doesn't hurt paying Customers more then Criminals, that to sell to a substantial audience that look to multi-player for their fun a game requires a stand-alone dedicated server (free or rental it doesn't matter), and if they want to interest the largest audience possible -- Mod support will seal the deal creating massive immigration of Fans to the title.

I'm not proselytizing for false hope here, just that putting SADS under GR:FS PC is not a costly proposition, that Ubisoft probably wants to commit to its marketing message for the console first, as that product is going out the door first, and let PC Fans focus on GR:O, for now. I have made a little poll though that might tell us more here...

:unsure:

Edited by 101459