World Cup 2010

Dick Splash

Having an aversion to all things football unless it's the World Cup when England's playing, and even then I don't always watch. I usually route for the underdog, whatever the nationality. Anyway, I didn't bother watching England's opener against the U.S.A. and I walked to the supermarket during the game. It was about 9pm. The half mile walk was abundant with England flags of all sizes displayed in windows and draped down the front walls of houses. I passed a woman walking her dog, a few people leaving an off license [liquor store] and six cars passed me, two of which were taxies displaying flags. It was eerily quiet for a Saturday night and it occured to me, that football is truly the national sport of the U.K.

I few weeks ago I purchased a few England fan items and posted them to my mate in Kentucky. He was in a bar celebrating his wedding anniversary, whilst both he and his American wife watched the game. They sent a photo and there was some great banter going back and forth between the three of us during most of the match. At the same time, two other friends, in different cities were doing the same thing. Modern communication's quite something isn't it?

DS

I watched yesterdays match at my local pub, its the busiest I've seen it in 4 years lol. You could barely move and the atmosphere was great...beats watching it at home and yes you're right anywhere else is always like a ghost town while the footballs on. My mum doesnt like it at all and always used to use the England matches as the time to go shopping because its so quiet

Yeh I watched England's opener from the pub too. OMG, we were literally falling off our stools at that fumble. :rofl:

I need to not drink when watching from the pub, I was in desperate need for the loo lol but didnt dare leave the screen because something ALWAYS happens while I'm away, anyway in the end I couldnt wait so off I run as fast as possible, get back and one of the girls said 'its your bloody fault' you said if you left something would happen .... needless to say I missed it but the reply was painful enough lol

I caught the last hour or so of England's game last night .... getting boo'd by your own fans ... now that's a turn up for the books, although justified or not, it was shoddy to watch.

Its simple, manager get the woman (WAGS) back in and boost the boys moral and catapult them back out without all the over serious hard-line treatment and that might take the pressure of them that they already have anyway.

New Zealand scores against Italy in the first seven minutes. Game ends in a one all draw. Kiwis all over the world were ecstatic.

The first time they've played in the World Cup since 1982 and ranked as one of the biggest outsiders of this World Cup [78th in the world], New Zealand scored a well placed goal early on against Italy yesterday, the winners of the last World Cup. Italy equaliSed with a penalty, which was a bummer. Half of the Kiwi players are part timers and have day jobs. They played hard and the team's pretty speechless over the result. Both Italy and New Zealand have drawn in their two games so far and New Zealand still stands a chance of getting into the next round. They play Paraguay on Thursday.

It's the surprises and the underdogs that make me want to watch football and I might just watch their next game.

BBC Highlights

DS

I caught the last hour or so of England's game last night .... getting boo'd by your own fans ... now that's a turn up for the books, although justified or not, it was shoddy to watch.

Its simple, manager get the woman (WAGS) back in and boost the boys moral and catapult them back out without all the over serious hard-line treatment and that might take the pressure of them that they already have anyway.

Its not the WAGS they need, its a manager who's putting the most effective team out on the field and right now for whatever reason he's not been doing so.