Ghost Recon.net Forums
ApexMods

Google Ditches Windows on Security Concerns

Financial Times:

Google is phasing out the internal use of Microsoft’s ubiquitous Windows operating system because of security concerns, according to several Google employees.

The directive to move to other operating systems began in earnest in January, after Google’s Chinese operations were hacked, and could effectively end the use of Windows at Google, which employs more than 10,000 workers internationally.

“We’re not doing any more Windows. It is a security effort,” said one Google employee.

“Many people have been moved away from [Windows] PCs, mostly towards Mac OS, following the China hacking attacks,” said another.

New hires are now given the option of using Apple’s Mac computers or PCs running the Linux operating system. “Linux is open source and we feel good about it,” said one employee. “Microsoft we don’t feel so good about.”

Read the full FT.com article

You know, there's something almost ironic about Google being concerned about security. Given their corporate propensity for violating the privacy of users, and apparently illegally accessing people's Wi-Fi networks, it almost seems like the kettle calling the pot black, for Google to be concerned about security.

And then there is android phones being rooted...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/184077/the_motorola_droid_gets_rooted.html

and Mac spyware...

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/01/antivirus-firm-warns-of-new-mac-os-x-spyware-application/

Also note ... the reasoning quoted in the article doesn't make sense. It was because of a hack from china against internet explorer 6. That is back to before windows 98. I would hardly believe google employees are really using browsers from that age.

I agree that there is more to this than security, an uptodate windows install is perfectly secure, no? Or was this Chinese hack they are referring to a hack that bypassed properly updated windows machines?

A swing to macs is only going to divert virus coders to divert their targets anyway, and so it goes on.

Not that I think Google switching to Macs is going to have any effect at all in the scale of things.

[...]an uptodate windows install is perfectly secure, no?[...]

:blink:

[...]an uptodate windows install is perfectly secure, no?[...]

:blink:

Cheeky. What I mean is if the google machines were patched to SP3 then the Chinese virus would never have been an issue...?

The problem with some apple owners is that they adopt a holier than though attitude when it comes to virus infections, that's going to jump up and bite them in the ass if mac os ever becomes as popular as windows and becomes an attractive target for virus coders. As it stands mac ownership is so miniscule by comparison it doesn't even show up on the radar for hackers (not withstanding the previously released mac virus).

Para I agree that is one Irony of mass proportions :)

Like its been said maybe this is just a on the surface reason and there's more to it, "if google think its not secure then ..." etc.

Its like a bully of a school moving to a new one because they weren't protecting his rights.

That's what I was referring to earlier in the thread, Roco. I'd like to know how a company 'accidentally' collects 600gb of data in numerous countries. That doesn't sound like an 'accidental' collection to me. That sounds like an "Oops, we got caught". I personally hate Google Street View, for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is that I don't want people to be able to look up my address on the internet, and have a virtual look around at any possible access points or security weaknesses at my home. My home is my business, not the business of some schmuck on the internet.

I think its kind of funny. Considering Apple still gets hacked. Linux base can still be hacked. Why hate on windows? If anything I say its just blown out of proportion, google being a new player in the OS world it only makes since to stop supporting the competition.

Anyways, Android runs on linux base and is virus prone already. GOOGLE MADE IT for christ sake. Id know since I had to deal with it. On the flip side im using that same "smart phone" smarter now. Even access websites like this on my laptop using it.

None the less I still use my droid, google, googlemaps, and now switched to Chome browser aswell. I like their style hope the article was just out of proportion and all that windows sucks stuff was just the lowman on the payroll making comments.

oh and by the way, Bluetooth by itself has a cool little hack that you cant stop. Hope you like all your conversations being heard.

Edited by pz3