Operation: Sinaloa

Operation: Sinaloa v1 is now ready for testing.

This mission has been quite a while in development as it's my first scratch built map. I have changed many existing maps in the past to suit my needs but never made one from scratch, I have done my best here so don't expect to much.

Respawn locations:

1 - After you complete the Eliminate Valdez Objective.

2 - After you complete the Found Intel Objective.

3 - After you complete the Fuel Supplies Objective.

These are the main spawn points that you can select, as usual there are more on the insertion and extraction roads.

Vehicles:

5 panhards, 2 tanks and 8 havoc's, again the havoc's are randomly spawned and each time you see one there will be a 30% chance that it will remain on the map so you will need to destroy it.

AI count here is around 630.

Have fun and I hope you enjoy the mission.

Thanks,

John

Download:

Operation: Sinaloa v1.

sinaloa_screen.jpg

Gosh John you're getting so good at this that you are not going to need us to test anymore. :( But we'll be glad to test your maps anytime you want us to. Like Bob said it's intense. Great designed new map, I like it. :thumbsup: What else can I say except keep up the good work.

TAW Goose

Thanks for the replies.

Goose, as always I really appreciate all the help and feedback you and the TAW clan give me when testing the alpha versions so you are more than welcome to keep on testing. :yes:

Being my first scratch built map I wasn't to sure how it would turn out but it seems to be ok.

I'm hoping to make my next map using the GRAW1 props that Bogie was kind enough to make for us so it might be some time before it's ready but I will keep you posted.

Cheers, :thumbsup:

John

Operation: Sinaloa v1 is now ready for testing.

We tried it, as always, on a client server (that is, the server's machine was playing too). The server reported the game was simply unplayable at its outset, although I, as a pure client, was able to play without a problem. The server postulated that this level may be more suitable to dedicated servers only and we aborted the game before going further.

Sorry I don't have any better info for you. We ran the MexBob level after this one, and it ran OK, but wasn't as challenging as your levels normally are.

Hi Sightreader,

It's good to see you back testing again.

I'm sorry you had problems playing my mission, as you mentioned my latest type of missions are probably best suited to dedicated servers, having said that you are the first person to mention these problems with my missions.

Looks like I need to make some smaller missions just for you folks, after all I've got to keep you all happy. :shifty:

Cheers,

John

John

Finally managed to find the time to complete this mission. It played flawlessly. Absolutley no problems with game play whatsoever and no obvious glitches or anomalies. I would say that it appears, to me at least, that it's ready to go.

But I would warn players not to take this mission lightly. The AI I encountered seemed especially fierce. I was being taken out by a single shot at a hundred paces with one eye closed and only a MP55. This is gonna make grown men weep - it should carry a health warning.

A truly great effort John and congrats on your first map build. Looking forward already to the sequel. First I got to find a bunch of rough-necks to help me out. This is not a map for lone wolves, unless you got really big teeth.

Anthony :rocky:

John,

Three of us tested the map last night but unfortunately after getting half way through the map the server crashed. We started to play it again and once again it cashed. I am posting the server errors that we are getting but it does seem to be a GRAW2 error, unless something in the map is creating a memory leak.

Tue Apr 27 00:06:32 2010

Crash in application version: 30899.3048

Out of memory allocating 553020 bytes

Renderer: threaded

Physics : normal

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tue Apr 27 01:43:59 2010

Out of memory allocating 553020 bytes

Physics : normal

Not sure if there is anything that you can do about this...

Hi Viper,

Thanks for testing the mission.

As you say this is a memory leak error and is quite common in GRAW2, I think Bogie was able to manage this problem to some extent in his missions but I don't know how he did it.

I think this problem is made worse on a larger map as it needs more resources to load the map causing these memory leak issues.

Thanks for the link and I hope the fix will help with the problem, please keep me posted.

I will get around to releasing this mission as soon as I can but I am spending all my time trying to get my next map/mission ready for testing, my next map includes GRAW1 buildings and I have been able to reduce the size of the GRAW1 textures changing the size of the map from 220mb down to around 80mb.

Cheers,

John

Hi Viper,

Thanks for testing the mission.

As you say this is a memory leak error and is quite common in GRAW2, I think Bogie was able to manage this problem to some extent in his missions but I don't know how he did it.

I think this problem is made worse on a larger map as it needs more resources to load the map causing these memory leak issues.

Thanks for the link and I hope the fix will help with the problem, please keep me posted.

I will get around to releasing this mission as soon as I can but I am spending all my time trying to get my next map/mission ready for testing, my next map includes GRAW1 buildings and I have been able to reduce the size of the GRAW1 textures changing the size of the map from 220mb down to around 80mb.

Cheers,

John

John,

i coordinated with the server admin of my server provider and he has made the changes for GRAW to operate on only one core. It has been about 6 hours so far and no crash experienced. I hope to complete the testing of Sinaloa map tonight to confirm that the changes indeed fixed the issue with memory allocation. Will let you know. Kudos for the Sinaloa map as it was extremely difficult last night. The map looks great and it is nice to see a change!!! Really appreciative for all the work that you put into it. It really shows!!!

Awesome job in reducing the size on your next map!! Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

John,

We finally tested the map last night. Two of us took 4 hours!!! Holy smokes!!! The map was indeed difficult and the AI was very, extremely responsive. Great hiding places for the snipers. I found some artifacting in the game but I think this may be normal. It was not a funny texture just floating.

I do think that you may need to add some spawn points becasue running from half way up to road from the original start spawn to the Depot takes forever and is tiresome. The same happened when spawning at the Intel structure and running all the way to Valdez. If you you could ad a spawn point at least half way from those two points then it would be fine. This may not be an issue if more than two people are on the server but either case if only two or three are on it is rather unnerving.

Had a client side crash but it may be the norm. Here it is just in case.

data\lib\units\extensions\inventory.dsf(-1): cant find member: hold_weapon in type <UE_ScriptExtension>

SCRIPT STACK:

data\lib\script_network\member.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\member.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\gametype\membercustom.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\identity.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\networkmanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\networkmanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\setups\setup.dsf(0)

data\level\level.dsf(0)

Physics : threaded

Other than that the map was AWESOME!!! You did a great job in creating a totally new map and it is a great welcome.

SinaloaA.jpg

Here is the image. The artifacting is hovering above the ground at 45 degrees starting at the entrance of the garage.

Thanks for testing Viper much appreciated.

I will take a look at the spawn points but I am a bit confused, there are two spawn points along the road to the Depot, one is at trigger 03 and the other is at trigger 05, these are activated when you enter these two triggers and you should see the on-screen message "TRIGGER 0#".

You also mention the long run between the Intel and the Valdez objective, if you complete the Fuel Supplies objective which is between the Intel and Valdez objective you will get a spawn location there, these are all mentioned in my first post so you can select how you want to play the mission by making best use of the spawn points. :P

If you still think I should add more then I will see what I can do.

Thanks for the screenshot Viper, the artifact you found is nothing more that a piece of misplaced props brush which is very easy to remove, to tell you the truth Zero noticed that a while back but I forgot to remove it before posting the mission here.

I think the crash you had was just one of those famous GRAW2 moments. :unsure:

I will take a look at the spawn points but I am a bit confused, there are two spawn points along the road to the Depot, one is at trigger 03 and the other is at trigger 05, these are activated when you enter these two triggers and you should see the on-screen message "TRIGGER 0#".

I will check again tonight as i think i have some more volunteers. I think the same spawn point is in effect after destroying the depot and destroying the 1st and 2nd antenna. In was not until we took the intel that the spawn point changed. It's just along run. Thank god I have one of my keys mapped to run...

You also mention the long run between the Intel and the Valdez objective, if you complete the Fuel Supplies objective which is between the Intel and Valdez objective you will get a spawn location there, these are all mentioned in my first post so you can select how you want to play the mission by making best use of the spawn points. :P

Again, I will check it out again tonight hopefully.

If you still think I should add more then I will see what I can do.

Maybe adding a couple more wouldn't hurt ...

Thanks for the screenshot Viper, the artifact you found is nothing more that a piece of misplaced props brush which is very easy to remove, to tell you the truth Zero noticed that a while back but I forgot to remove it before posting the mission here.

Goo to see Zero is on his game!!! Good job Zero!!! :thumbsup:

I think the crash you had was just one of those famous GRAW2 moments. :unsure:

I believe you are correct. Just wasn't sure...

BTW the fix to the server appears to be working. The server has not crashed due to memory allocation errors. Fingers are still crossed...

JOhn,

We tested the map once again last night. This time I took not of the spawn points and drew a representation of our findings. Please see below. The order that we took out the objectives were Depot, Antenna A, Antenna B, Intel, Alcohol, then I think Valdez.

Spawn-Map.jpg

As you can see:

• From A to B is good
    Trigger 1, 2 & 3
  • B to C is also good
    Triggers 4 & 5
  • C to D is quite a trek.
    Triggers 6, 7, 7A, 5A, 7B, 18, 08, 9, 19, 8A
    Between these two spawn points you have to take out a tank, Antenna A, Antenna B, and finally get Intel. So when you die, and die you will, it is a long walk or run... And there were five of us on the map!!!
  • D to E is a little long as well. It is doable but placing a spawn point in between would be better

Testers were getting tired of the long walk and getting bored easily. Felt like we were playing World of Warcraft...

Hope this helps.

Some other issues we found were the floating texture again. Her are the screen shoots below:

Sinaloa_2.jpg

Sinaloa_3.jpg

Also found that just forward of spawn point C on my map a panhard comes in and offloads guys. Probelm is they are facing the wall really for our firing squad. In this pic two are already dead. Samurai Suzy shoot them before I could get the full shoot. :rolleyes:

Sinaloa_1.jpg

Last but not least when we went to kill Valdez, he was also facing the wall instead of the opening where we were coming through. I didn't get a screenshot of of him as one of my teammates with a itchy trigger finger killed him

Sheesh, that's enough ehh? :whistle:

Again , hope this helps!!!!

Hi Viper,

Thanks for the detailed report, much appreciated.

I have marked the main respawn points onto your image using red circles so you can see where they are, I suspect you already know but thought it might be useful.

To avoid the tank you can head for the Fuel Supplies objective which will give you a central spawn location to work from.

Looking at the image you posted I can see that there needs to be more spawn locations on the map, I was thinking about putting one at each objective so when it's complete you will spawn there so you can move forward from that point, adding spawn points between objectives is quite difficult as it's hard to predict which route players will take.

If you have any suggestions where you would like to see anymore spawn point the please post them here.

Spawn-Map.jpg

Again the rest of your images are just showing where I have got a bit carried away when placing the props brush so that's easily fixed.

Your last image where the AI is facing the wall is a bit harder to sort out, when the AI exit the vehicle they seem to have a mind of their own and sometimes head for the nearest coverpoint which I generate in the editor and cannot control where the coverpoints are located, it is possible to give the AI orders to move to a certain location when they exit the vehicle from the script but again they don't always follow orders.

I will fix these issues before release, if you want to do a final test before I release the mission I can post another beta version here if you wish, I know it's a lot of work retesting these missions so if we can sort out where you would like the spawn points then maybe it would be best to do this and just release the mission to the public.

Thanks,

John

John,

I like the idea of adding spawn points after an objective is taken out. Sounds logical, but I wonder how that would affect a large group of player when they go after different objective. I guess you'll have to feel it out after it is released. Just leave B & C as is. I also think that once you add the spawn points and fix the little issues it is best to go ahead and release the map. It is a great map an I think the public would really be happy with it. IT has been a while since a new map was released and we really don't want to loose the small GRAW2 following that is currently out there.

BTW you didn't mention about Valdez facing the wrong way, but I am sure your going to fix that.

Thanks again!!!! :thumbsup: