Interested in GR:FS

This post/reply explains why I am considering the GR:FS, where I think UBIsoft fails, and some basic suggestions. Probably words on dead eyes for gamemakers, but oh well... I would consider this a decent read... Some of the words or statements may sound familar because it may sound like some of us gamers, lol. This is opinion only and I am sure someone will take the words and twist them for an argument, but oh well.....

WHY GR:FS may be my next game

I outline many reasons below why I would not want to go for UBIsoft's next GRAW game, however, I am at a crossroads where I honestly don't feel like playing much until the fall. I have no problem playing a game that has drones, stealth camo, and a couple other assets that bring options to a game even if it isn't 100% realistic. I may be biting my tongue, but I am considering this as my next game to play. Not really giving much reason why other than that I do enjoy the gaming effects that UBIsoft puts out in a basic shooter game and haven't experienced any chaotic gameplay like I have experienced in other games. I have wasted much more than $60.00 over the months so I don't look at the $60.00 as a waste if that is what they sell it for. I am sure I will find some cool stuff with the game for what it's worth.

UBI Soft What is wrong with you?

I've made the announcement over the past year or 2 that I would never purchase another UBIsoft game mainly on the reasons that they slack on updates (changes & fixes), server tools were below expectations, lack in anti-cheat info, lack in global stats, etc. Problem is not many games have great resources like this. Yes some do, but not all and the balance comes with how you actually enjoy the game with friends (i.e. coops, and regular sessions with a group you trust). There are always going to be the jerks that cause for an unhappy time. Then comes the need for server admins, etc., etc. I used to call UBIsoft games UBscrewed if you buy them. I said there is no way you can fix GRAW or GRAW 2 because as the saying goes, "you can't polish a terd" :P

I gave up with GRAW after playing it for over a year (back in 2007), after bringing forth around 10 real nice thought-out missions, and now find myself coming back a bit just to wind down away from some of the other chaotic games out there. Never bought GRAW 2 based on my feelings with how GRAW 1 turned out. I am one of the veteran [GR] gamers and at this point find it very hard to believe that a game maker will ever bring the [GR] games back to make money. They have to consider many obstacles, one being the new generation that is here, and another on the way. I am almost positive this comes up in corporate meetings. I do wish they would bring [GR] back, but just don't see that happening, so what then?

Done with UBIsoft - now what?

I've moved on and played COD 4, ArmA 1, ArmA 2, HL2: Insurgency, Americas Army, Frontlines Fuel Of War, BF:BC2 and a few others. None of these I continue to play. They lasted a few short months. I made various missions using the HL2 Unreal Editor, HAMMER, ArmA missions, etc., so I have spent some $$$ and time. What I am finding is most of these games still wind up with groups moving on to some other game 4-6 months later. Little remain, but most move on. Sounds familiar, lol. I do know that those that move on sometimes move on to take a break then come back or go to the next level (i.e. COD 4 to COD 5, COD 4 MW2, BF 2, BF 2142, etc)

I believe BF and COD has a stable following (there are a few others, but just to make a point), meaning when they put out a new game they do well on $$$ based on previous titles. Ghost Recon started out great, but when they moved to the GRAW series all seemed well, but then there was a sense of failure. I could be wrong, but I think some of the failure was its the lack in support. I am not UBIsoft corporate (I don't want to speak for them), but I think if they want any of the GR games to make a comeback they may want to consider more support for this series with specifics on what they are doing to couple the original GR assets and the new games they are puting out. There are wonderul folks out there who play the original GR and provide excellent work keeping it alive!!!

UBI Soft - please consider the following

Although some may think this, the gamemakers aren't all that dumb, but there are always areas for improvement. Here are some thoughts or suggestions:

• Make the game with mod capabilities in mind
    • Allow gamers to have the ease to modify skins using an in-game interface (i.e. tweek the soldier's head, uniform, weapon, etc.). This gives folks the ability to customize their soldier's content a bit and some gamers enjoy that. I consider it a plus.
    • Include a mission editor. If one cannot be ready for the game release, promise one to come out shortly and provide regular updates on the progress until it is available.
    • Allow ways for those great modders to be able to modify the in-game sounds, pack them up, and release for gamers without making the game think it has been hacked. There are some modders out there that would keep the game alive longer than you think with these basics being allowed.

[*]Server Admin Support - Make the in-game tools user friendly and provide enough tools to modify the server as follows:

• To control the FS assets (exoskelton, Stealth Camo, drones, etc). Either on/off, or limitted.
    • A default setting to bring the game to an old ghost recon state. I know this is highly unlikely, but a very limitted setting that makes you have soldiers, com equipment, and the basics you see in the [Ghost Recon].
    • To setup the game for friendly competition. Auto-Balancing, passwords, etc.
    • Make it easy for clans/groups to place various messages for the server message to give gamers a place to build their gaming community. Failure to do this hurts community efforts.

[*]Server or Global Stat capabilities - Yes people can track their stats on servers via Gametracker and other methods, however, if you ignore the fact that there are stat whores out there and focus on the gamers that like to see their progress - others like to be able to track stats such as Kill-to-Deaths, points, and other stats. A stats feature would help in my opinion. Don't care about stats, don't use them.

[*]Anti-Cheat system - huge and is something that will turn gamers away quick if one cannot be produced. In some cases people may look to player stats (see previous bullet) for potential hackers. You can definitely put up red flags on some who have outrageous stats. They are either padding or cheating. Either way, I don't think gamers would want a player who does that on their server because both cases are considered cheating by most.

I accept the fact that some gaming companies look at returns on time spent vs how much $$$ is generated. For sure there will be alot of advertisement going out during the Sports games on TV, Ultimate Fighter events, and other high profile broadcasts and all that costs a pretty penny :P

I do think that time spent on some of the items above, along with opinions from other folks with gaming integrity could be great concepts for the pc gaming community and the Ghost Recon franchise. Most gamers I know who are die hard [GR] gamers would say GRAW, GRAW 2, etc are not in their opinion part of the Ghost Recon franchise, but apparently they are, lol.

Anyway - long post, my appologies. That is my curse.... I hope the game provides some enjoyable gameplay for gamers.