Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pave Low

Newegg & the consignement of fake i7-920 CPU's

as many of you will no doubt have read Newegg recently got stung by 300 fake i7-920 CPU's among a consignment of 2,000 they received from suppliers

the "CPU" was a block of lead and the "CPU fan" was a shaped chunk of plastic with a picture of a fan stuck on top (so that from the outside the box looked and felt normal)

for anyone who hasn't seen the pictures of the fakes yet, See this article > Hands On: Unboxing the Fake Intel Core i7-920

The Statement from newegg:

Official update on the Intel Core i7-920 CPU situation

Newegg is currently conducting a thorough investigation surrounding recent shipments of questionable Intel Core i7-920 CPUs purchased from Newegg.com.

Initial information we received from our supplier, IPEX, stated that they had mistakenly shipped us "demo units." We have since come to discover the CPUs were counterfeit and are terminating our relationship with this supplier. Contrary to any speculation, D&H Distributing is not the vendor that supplied us with the Intel Core i7-920 CPUs in question.

Newegg’s top priority is to proactively reach out to all customers who may have been affected to ensure their absolute satisfaction. We have already sent out a number of replacement units and are doing everything in our power to resolve the matter promptly and with the least amount of inconvenience to our customers.

We have always taken pride in providing an exceptional experience for each customer, and we apologize for any inconvenience to our valued customers. We take matters like this extremely seriously, and are working in close cooperation with Intel and the appropriate law enforcement authorities to thoroughly investigate this incident.

and a couple of threads from the unfortunate users who initially discovered this:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636484

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1500534

IPEX, in attempting to save their bacon, should have been more creative with their response to NewEgg...that they were DIY CPUs, and not demos.

____

Bad news for NewEgg but good news for consumers/end-users in the near-term...they will definately be checking those incoming/outgoing lists, and checking them twice.

Acctually funny reading through that thread over at hardforum and seeing how things get spun around in an online and fastmoving forum.

1: One person recieves a fake cpu and posts about it.

2: Everyone blames Newegg for selling fakes

3: Someone points out that Newegg buys their CPU's from a 3rd party supplier

4: Ppl start cracking down on the 3rd party supplier

5: Newegg states it's demo ex boxes

6: Ppl crack down on both Newegg and teh 3rd party supplier for sending demo examples

7: Intel comes out and states they ain't demo examples but fakes

8: Ppl crack down on Newegg for saying it was demo boxes while still also laying it into the 3rd party supplier

9: The 3rd party supplier mentioned slaps the site with a C&D for spreading false rumours

10: Newegg states they are indeed fakes and not shipped from said 3rd party supplier

One person mentioning that 3rd party supplier in a post snowballed into everyone blaiming them for shipping the fakes to Newegg and forcing them to take possible legal action agains the site for spreading false rumours. Sounds all to much like a real game of chinese whispers to me :rofl:

Chinese whispers

On the downside though....doubt anyone went through all the work just to crank out 300 fake's...there's likely going to be more of them surfacing as time goes by.