BF: BC 2 - Your Impressions ?

CR6

Sounds like there are a few people in this forum that have got the game, so here's a thread to consolidate our opinions on what you think so far about SP, MP, the graphics or whatever.

I happened to be in Best Buy the on March 2 so I have purchased the PC version on release day. Haven't had time to install it yet but hopefully soon.

Also let us know if you are hosting a dedicated server.

Awesome - let us know how the intstall etc. goes!

BFBC2 sure seems to have a lot going for it that differentiates it from other shooters: vehicles, fully-destructable environments, hardcore mode, not to mention support for dedicated servers, and a dev studio that is open to the mod community.

Here's some interesting news:

There are more people purchasing the PC version of BFBC2 than console versions combined:

http://kotaku.com/5487038/battlefield-bad-...r-pc-to-console

Bad Company 2 Devs Have Nothing But Love For The Modding Community

http://kotaku.com/5485700/bad-company-2-de...dding-community

Someone commenting on the Kotaku article posted the stats from Xfire for how much BFBC2 PC is being played today:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comm...67a115/340x.jpg

Note: At first I thought did BFBC2 already sell over 6 million units??? No, it was played over 6 million minutes ... :wall:

Interestingly, CoD4 and CoD2 MP are still played more than MW2 (ranking below in case image disappears)

WoW: 14+ million minutes

CoD4: 8.5 million minutes

BFBC2: 6.3 million minutes

CoD2: 5.3 million minutes

MW2: 3.7 million minutes

CS-S: 1.4 million minutes

So I'm installing as we speak. Didn't realize the retail version of the game I bought was the "Limited Edition" which you'll find is not a big deal below:

Install asks me to type in a key found on the back of the manual. However, there is a second key on a pull-out card with big lettering "Get Your Limited Edition Unlocks" which apparently I can enter on the Main Menu and get the following:

4 Vehicle Warfare Unlocks (I guess I need all the help I can get :))

- Improved vehicle armor

- Supreme vehicle firepower

- Vehicle motion sensor

- Tracer dart pistol

2 Classic Battlefield 1943 Weapons (didn't know BF1943 was already a classic :rollseyes:

- M1A1 submachine gun

- M1911 pistol

As promised, after install I get a dialog box that pops up asking how I want to authenticate Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2. Disc authentication requires the disc in the drive to be able to play. Online authentication requires an internet connection but doesn’t require the disc.

Note you cannot change the authentication method without reinstalling the game!

I'm going with disc authentication since I have 2 optical drives and tend to play one game into the ground before I move on to the next ...

Punkbuster install was painless too.

Now the auto-updater - looks like a big Day 1 patch ...

Got it last night, install was no problem. Went with the Online Authentication so that I can put it on more PC's.

Finished the single player today, loved it.

If someone points me to a good server where you all play, I may stop and check it out...still not really into the run and gun type gameplay though.

"Get Your Limited Edition Unlocks" which apparently I can enter on the Main Menu and get the following, Now the auto-updater - looks like a big Day 1 patch ...

I couldn't find the limited edition at asda so settled for the normal vanilla one. I noticed in the games menu you click on multiplayer and scroll down to "redeem code". day one patch gave two new maps, nelson bay and laguna alta, i believe one is for rush mode and the other is conquest. The single player is ok, the other three characters have humorous chit chat along the way. Collectables to be found in single player (don't think they carry over to the mp side though?). Sp is quite linear for the most part, there are around 5 different sound setting filters you can apply on the fly in game play, i like the fact you can press esc on keyboard and test which settings suit you. There is a lot of bloom on lcd monitors especialy on lcd/tft monitors imho (i use a hd lcd and a crt monitor) i prefer crt, less bloom, less bright on CRT's. I'm playing on hard mode to make the sp experience last, but the campaign is quite short, not really really short but i'm suprised i'm probably nearly at completion. There is flickering on my ATI graphics card in game, i had to press esc on keyboard and change anti-aliasing from 8x to 4x, it seems to stop the flicker, and then i can change back to 8x msaa. Graphics are good, i find most DICE games are, the lighting is good, except the bloom can be a bit overpowering, blinding, shadows are good but i don't think you the player cast your own shadow. Fun game in sp, a good game from DICE. Multiplayer is fast and furious. I'm still adjusting to the no run strafe movement, it's kind of robotic but you get used to it.

Just to add; there appears to be a lot of cut-scenes in sp, some are interactive. Mature language, no profanity filter in sp and with regards to the bloom and lighting fx it can be disabled by the settings document as posted below. Also you can change field of view, i believe it can go as high as 200, i tried 65 in sp mode and couldn't tell the difference, some have said the FOV reverts back to default 55 because of the in game cut-scenes ?. In hard mode there is still a crosshair on screen, the enemy is just tougher, varied enemys too. There is a great hit effect when getting shot, a nice kick up, don't think there is a great amount of kick up when firing weapons.

bfbcsettings.jpg

bfbc2game20100305214515.jpg

bfbc2game20100305215511.jpg

bfbc2game20100305220231.jpg

Got it last night, install was no problem. Went with the Online Authentication so that I can put it on more PC's.

Am I reading this right,got it last night and already finished the SP campaign? If so how darn short is the SP campaign? :unsure:

Edited by KRP 56

This is a total revolution of the gaming experience a quality never before seen.Since I have played this game,I don't want to play any other game.

BF2 will lost a lot of players and COD'S gamers will come to BFBC2 also...this game is a mixed of BF2,CODMW and counter strike...

I have always as a lot of respect for DICE I always knew that they were one step ahead everybody.I think that they will pave the way and I expect a big succes in the near future.

I have played all the beta then I was lucky to played the game this tuesday,we have no school this week and I played almost 40 hours :yes: ....nuts.

I have almost unlocked all the kits and gadget reached level 22...my favorites game type is RUSH cause it concentrate the action at a same point.With this gametype and 32 players I feel more action than they are in BF2 conquest with 64 players.

If you want to add me as a friend my nick is:RIPhard

Have fun and see you soon on the battlefield! :o=

How many times have we seen a loved game which noone plays after several weeks?

Too many, well, at least once in the last few months, so I can't blame you. Still, my copy should be here in a couple of days, can't let those kiddies get too far ahead of me on map familiarity!

lol agreed - if ur interested i know a lot of Spartans are playing regularly on TS3.

from the gameplay ive seen it does look tasty and with some comms could be gr8 gameplay.

but i know some ppl having some serious connection issues including Daisan who cant even connect to a server at present.

i think hardcore mode and a couple of patches and should be right for some ggz.

i think hardcore mode and a couple of patches and should be right for some ggz.

Yep..Hardcore is the go ( well for me anyway ) , normal mode just doesn't cut it...on the snow map (not sure of the correct name) I spotted a sniper, I flanked him...wanted to get close to take his dog tags ( when you use your knife the victims dog tags appear in your stats)...I got to about ten steps away from him, I then decided to use my rifle...after unloading 3\4 of a clip and him jumping up and down like someone put a lite cigarette down his pants, he took out his pistol and took me out.

In Hardcore mode that doesn't happen...if you see someone first and you fire first, you chances of winning the fire fight is high.

At the moment there are issues with the Multiplayer browser, apparently DICE is aware of it and on it for a fix.

P.S...

DICE now is allowing PBBans and PsB to steam in there servers...it can only be a good thing for that bit of added security .

Edited by Metal_Jacket

Am I reading this right,got it last night and already finished the SP campaign? If so how darn short is the SP campaign? :unsure:

Must of been on easy mode and got time to waste, or rushed it and a top notch player :D . I thought the sp campaign was short but actualy it's as short or long as you want it to be. About the same as most other shooters.

Play the game on hard mode for a start. I got the game friday, been playing steady over the weekend, still haven't finished the sp, and i'm in no rush to either, what's the rush?.

Very good game, one of the best for me personaly. Its longevity is in the multiplayer.

There is a Squad mode where it is 3 squads of 4 players against each other and if played in hardcore and using squad tactics is a heck of a lot of fun.

Also Hardcore does not have cross hairs as stated above or it must be a server option because i played several hours this weekend in hardcore with none.

I thought the sp campaign was short but actualy it's as short or long as you want it to be. About the same as most other shooters.

Play the game on hard mode for a start. I got the game friday, been playing steady over the weekend, still haven't finished the sp, and i'm in no rush to either, what's the rush?.

Very good game, one of the best for me personaly. Its longevity is in the multiplayer.

Thanks =warcloud=. ;) Since I only play SP I don't want to waste my money on something that's going to be over in about 10 hours and doesn't have any replayability.

love your screenshots....as usual.... :thumbsup:

some of the water scene is almost Crysis like?

I'm a SP player, so my questions lean to that.

So if I play tactical on this game....mean slow approach I can do that?

So is the SP more like COD4MW? (not mw2)

hows the replayability?

Well, finally got some time to play some SP and here are some initial thoughts/comments:

- Wow, nice graphics. Definitely an upgrade from BF2. What struck me the most was the skin and cloth textures on the soldiers. That being said, overall I still prefer the character models from MW 1&2 as the BF ones are still quite "chunky/blocky" The MW engine also does foilage a little better but can't complain too much about the Frostbite engine in BFBC2

- In terms of gameplay one part of the snow mission really hit it home for me. 1) I went up some stairs and turned a corner and fired 3-round bursts into the chests of 3 tangos. All 3 survived and recovered to take me out. :rolleyes: 2) Then had to restart at the save point ... this time I scrambled up the stairs of a nearby building. The vehicle down the road started firing at my position and all of a sudden the left wall of the room I was in was gone. That was pretty cool.

- However, the "destructible environments" feature is a little misleading - there are still lots of structures you can't blow up.

- Controls - what's with this no toggle for crouch? Either a lot of people will be getting sore pinky fingers from trying to hold down L Ctrl or no one will bother crouching. And no prone???

- Also, the dreaded Win 7 middle mouse button bug has reared its head - I had to remap the knife melee attack to a keyboard button as I couldn't use my middle mouse button at all - any one else have this prob?

- Nice homage to BF1942/43 in the initial mission.

Just to add; there appears to be a lot of cut-scenes in sp, some are interactive. Mature language, no profanity filter in sp and with regards to the bloom and lighting fx it can be disabled by the settings document as posted below.

- Although I'm sure the profanity in-game is meant to be humorous and it's probably nothing worse than what kids see in movies these days, I personally could do without all the swearing. <_< Sad to see this "trend" to include profanity in newer games (R6 Vegas, MW2 etc) Not sure if devs think it's "cool" or "realistic" but we see/hear enough trash talk online. I just think it's classy that the early GR games could keep up the intensity without resorting to any profanity.

- I agree with =warcloud= that the bloom is a little overdone. In a way it's kinda realistic in the snowy environments as you can get "white-out" from looking at all the snow-covered ground on a sunny day. However, it reminds me of how GRAW PC had some kinda "brownish" filter on everything. Thanks to =warcloud= for the tip how to turn down the lighting effects.

love your screenshots....as usual.... :thumbsup:

some of the water scene is almost Crysis like?

I'm a SP player, so my questions lean to that.

So if I play tactical on this game....mean slow approach I can do that?

So is the SP more like COD4MW? (not mw2)

hows the replayability?

Graphics are great for the most part, some very talented artists work at DICE.

You can use tactics but the level of use is nowheres near [Ghost Recon] or graw series or even crysis. There are silenced weapons you can collect along the way and i guess you could put them to use but bad company 2 is very action packed, and very loud.

In my honest opinion bfbc2 is like codmw and mw2 but just a tad better.

I'm playing through the sp campaign again to find the missed collectables which are mainly weapons and m-com stations and to just have a blast.

The second run through so far is the same as the first, same scripted events, you know where the enemy is going to be. It's a straight forward path, the levels are not wide open spaces.

I personaly enjoyed the sp on hard mode but dissapointed there was still a crosshair.

I'm not sure if there is downloadable content at some stage for the single player portion?

I guess there might be bad company 3 at a later date ?, the story / scenario points to that.

- Controls - what's with this no toggle for crouch? Either a lot of people will be getting sore pinky fingers from trying to hold down L Ctrl or no one will bother crouching. And no prone???

- Also, the dreaded Win 7 middle mouse button bug has reared its head - I had to remap the knife melee attack to a keyboard button as I couldn't use my middle mouse button at all - any one else have this prob?.

Lot's of gamers on the bc2 pc beta forums complained and requested in polls for the crouch toggle (assign a key) option and many wanted prone as an option but i think the reply from the devs was ..."balance" :D , i guess it's a case of rush the objective, quick crouch, shoot, ...rush, crouch, shoot, that's how i automaticaly played the "rush" game mode personaly, there is team work and tactics but it's very action packed imho. The recon class is cool but lots of complaints about lone wolfs camping, so prone might infuriate many lol.

Not heard of the win 7 middle mouse button bug, but i do remember gamers mentioned "can't assign certain actions to certain keys", i have my melee action mapped to my mouse side button, its a logitech G5 ..with just one big side button :D . There was also mention in the beta forums of " sticking keys", i played a bit of single player yesterday evening and all of a sudden my in-game character started to move backwards and i did not have my finger on the S key haha!. Maybe some bugs carried over to retail ?, or my keyboard is on its way out ?.

As per topic title: Your Impressions of BF:BC2

BFBC2 is not COD/ CODMW1/2 GRAW/GRAW2 or RSE GR, as soon as you understand that your going to come with an open mind. BFBC2 is an average game when it comes to single player with a less than average campaign duration (around 6-8hrs max).

Where BFBC2 does shine & excell is in MP, alass if you missed out on the launch day +2 shenanigans of the host list server etc then you will be rewarded with a very stable connection in general. There are alot of servers listed and many full, why? in my personal opinion it's the structure of the game, it is like COD/ MW1/2 fast but with a stronger emphasis on tactics, where you will find that working together is the only way to rack up regular wins.

The game has fixed two main classes for me which many games get wrong, note I say games because this is a game & not a simulator. The first is the Medic class which for the first time is really a useful class, meaning you can actually fight & be helpful to assist & earn credit in game for it. You have (once earned) revive pads, medic kits & fire power all making the medic a truly important person in the team.

The second class is the so called Sniper class which for good reason EA/Dice call the Recon class. The term Recon is so much better as a description because sniping is only one element, The recon class brings Sharp shooter, Spotting, Info Recon, Sensors & Artillery strikes to the table, I think DICE made a good call.

Overall With the badges & pins to collect, length of service, personal stats & comparison stats of you & your friends list, this title will entertain for a long time........

9/10 For Multiplayer 7/10 for Single player.

Key words: Addictive, moreish, teamwork, voice comms, Action, fast paced....

P.S. Not to forget the sweet 'DOG TAGS' you collect from the victims of every mother F. you stab in game, they come in various colours/ metals & hang in your personal showcase as trophies...

P.P.S.

Sparta has a growing list of players that are friends & members.

http://www.legionofspartans.com/forums/ind...st=0#entry50228