Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
firefly2442

Computer Won't Turn On

I have an older Alienware desktop system that I still use from time to time. I went to power it on the other day and nothing happens. I push the power button again multiple times... nothing. Then, I get up and walk away to make a snack. When I come back, the computer is on. So I shut it off and try to start it up again but again it doesn't start.

I've opened it up and checked the cables and they all seem OK. There's almost no dust inside the case so I don't think that's an issue. I've checked the back power supply and both the 120 volt switch and the switch for enabling the power supply are on. It's not the cable because I tried different cables as well as different outlets (with and without surge protectors). I have plenty of power where I live and I haven't tripped my breaker or anything. I checked the BIOS and everything seems fine. When it does start and I get it running the system appears to be functioning normally. The other weird thing is that if it's plugged in, it seems to just start up randomly. I went into the BIOS and turned off startup after power failure, hopefully this will help that.

Any other ideas? My only other thought is maybe the button to turn the power on is broken or not making contact. Do standard power on buttons just complete a circuit to power the computer on? I'm kinda running out of ideas here...

Thanks. :unsure:

Edited by firefly2442

Still randomly turning on. I had to unplug the power cable to stop it from constantly turning on and off.

cmos battery?

If the cmos battery was bad, the time and date would get reset everytime they powered off. i haven't ever seen it prevent turning on although i suppose it could be possible.

I'll probably try yanking the power supply from another machine and try it to see if it can power on. Ugh... I hate hardware failure. :/

Finally got around to trying another power supply and I can confirm that this is the problem. I started shopping around newegg this evening. Besides Antec, are there any other brands that have decent quality? I don't need anything too fancy or expensive but I don't want to go really cheap. I'm thinking like 600 or 700 watts max.

Edited by firefly2442

PC Power & Cooling but they are more expensive than Antec, but well worth it. They are really beefy too.

I've had good luck with Thermaltake.
+1.

I've put together two systems (one my own) using Toughpower Modular series quad-rail units (>750W) and haven't had a single problem... 3 years and counting. Good thing, seeing as their CS -for an unrelated item- is suspect/non-existent.

Seasonic/Corsair with flat detachable cables are sweet!

Silverstone are solid too but watch the decibel ratings

600-800W rating

btw is the case a LianLi Tower frame for Alienware? coz there

may be a cable lenght issue... well then the newer PSU r longer

Nope, not that kind of case. It's one of the older models where the front black intakes for air swoop around the sides a little.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I usually use Antec and ThermalTake. I had one Antec and one Enermax unit fail on me but that can happen to any brand.

I had a friend who got an Antec PSU with detachable cables and had problems because of 1-2 poor connections, so since then I have shied away from detachable cables (you can usually hide the extra cables away pretty well if you are using a mid-size case and above)