Ghost Recon.net Forums
Rocky

Ipad No Flash - Dealbreaker?

I've been doing a lot of reading about the lack of flash support in the iPad, because for me it is a deal-breaker and I'm going to pass on what was a definite purchase for me.

I've done a fair bit of reading on this hot topic, hoping desperately to find justification and more importantly something that would convince me that this apparently gigantic omission could be overlooked. Here's choice cuts from the entire web on the subject, so you decide! I've not got time to link them all so you'll have to Google them for the source if you want more, but there's some really very interesting stuff here about flash... and macs....

Adobe group manager Adrian Ludwig wrote that "It looks like Apple is continuing to impose restrictions on their devices that limit both content publishers and consumers," ... "without Flash support, iPad users will not be able to access the full range of Web content, including over 70 percent of games and 75 percent of video on the Web." ... iPad users won't be able to "connect to Disney, Hulu, Miniclip, Farmville, ESPN, Kongregate, or JibJab, not to mention the millions of other sites on the Web" that use Flash."

Flash is dead. Get over it people! Say Hello to HTML5!!

HTML 5 is huge step forward, but please don't think it turns a browser into the same level of application framework as the actual operating system or even a Flash or Silverlight plugin.

Flash does dominate a lot of sites, daily I am seeing more and more that rely purely on JavaScript to do the kinds of things Flash does

its a deal breaker for a device like the iPad that is supposed to offer the full web browsing experience.... Its not a the full experience if it can't match what a net book can do for less money

No flash is OK on small devices but not on a tablet that is meant for multi-media.

Adobe bought Macromedia to get Flash, and then cancelled all of Macromedia's applications that were better than Adobe's equivalents. This destroyed competition and it negatively affects Apple. Not supporting Flash is retaliation.

Sadly, this is the only reason I won't be getting any iPad

HTML5 is an open standard and the sooner it replaces the closed and somewhat broken Flash the better. Google's Youtube already supports non-flash video for iPhone, and they have their pure HTML5 website in beta (you can sign up to get that instead of Flash if you like).

I have to agree that without Flash support I'd never get an iPad. I want to be able to use an iPad as a laptop replacement, which means 100% of the websites I visit should work.

If it can't view the internet, it's not a replacement for anything.

from all app crashes on all Macs from all users who click the button to send these reports to Apple — Flash accounts for more of them than anything else.

Not including flash on a tablet seems like a mistake to me. It's one thing on a cell phone, but quite another on a device that will probably be positioned as a casual use computer.

The future isn't flash (IMHO). I think leaving it out makes absolute perfect sense. It also makes commercial sense - they don't want people playing flash games on the web, they want them buying games from the appstore.

HTML 5 is going to reduce a lot of the need for Flash

The iPhone has supported YouTube through a native application since it launched. It does this by streaming the MPEG-4 video directly instead of using Flash as a player. Every other video site does this as well, and they don't even need a native app or any server-side weirdness. The only reason we don't do this on the desktop is inertia.

HTML5 video element means FLV is short lived.

the new HTML5 standards supporting H.264 videos, more sites will start to use this method instead of Flash (Vimeo already does this in Safari & Chrome)

I hope HTML5 gets used more because the CPU usage for Flash is awful. It really kills netbooks and other small devices because of both the CPU usage and the drain on the battery. The problem with HTML5 right now is that it's not a finished specification.