Ghost Recon.net Forums

Apple iPad Announced

I'm refreshing this update from the announcement every few minutes, the iPad looks amazing really.

Still waiting to hear the price and if it's going to appear on the apple site for sale right after the show.....

Pricing is very competitive! Starts at only $500, that's stunning.

Big disappointment - no flash! I can put up with that on the iPhone, but can you imagine all that flash content on sites just appearing as a big "no plug in" icon? :wall:

I wonder why they didn't include Flash support. Impressive video though. I'd be interested to try it out.

It's an iPhone OS issue. (The iPad runs iPhone software)

Flash works fine on OS X. I'm sure this will be corrected in time as people will likely be upset they can't see Flash content on their iPad.

What suprised me was Apple makes their own silicon for the CPU ... impressive.

I wonder why they didn't include Flash support. Impressive video though. I'd be interested to try it out.

It's an iPhone OS issue. (The iPad runs iPhone software)

Flash works fine on OS X. I'm sure this will be corrected in time as people will likely be upset they can't see Flash content on their iPad.

What suprised me was Apple makes their own silicon for the CPU ... impressive.

I imagine it could be a control issue too. As long as there isn't Flash support, people will go to the appstore for games, tools, and other things. That is actually quite surprising that they made their own hardware for this. It's interesting they didn't go with x86 or an ARM cpu or something...

I don't think the lack of flash is a technical issue at all, it's an executive decision taken for the iPhone that has now bled into the iPad for some reason.

If the iPad supported flash I'd put my pre-order in now, but a device that is built for comfortable net browsing that will not entertain flash games on websites etc is a bit of a deal breaker, for me anyway.

Something that was brought up on ZDNet is the fact that it does not have USB or SD support. When other smartphones (and some not so smart phones) have support for both, why does the iPad not have it if it is supposed to be so fancy and supposedly take over the tech world? My Motorola Razor has both along with the Nokia MusicExpress phone that I bought in the Netherlands. A 3rd gen iPhone doesn't even offer support for either.

My Motorola Razor has both along with the Nokia MusicExpress phone that I bought in the Netherlands. A 3rd gen iPhone doesn't even offer support for either.

The idea is that your iPhone is a big SD card and you put stuff (music, movies, etc.) on there through iTunes. When it works it works very well (syncing contacts, music, media etc) but I don't like that you have to use iTunes and proprietary Apple video formats ... some would point out it is a continuation and extension of Apple's tyranny and technical hegemony to control what goes on its products.

I used iTunes for a short period of time. I haven't used it in about 4 years I believe it is. I do not even have Quicktime installed on this PC. I don't listen to music on my Razor though I have with my Nokia (long hours at work tend to be boring without something to rock out with).

Flash works fine on OS X.

I have no first hand experience, but that's not what I read when I researched this a bit. Somewhere I read that of all the errors sent back to apple HQ from the OS, flash was at the root of a high percentage of them.

It seems to me there's a battle going on, and I'm not convinced if we the consumers are being best served.

I've been watching the iPad special event on apple.com, .. I just have to get one of those things. What self respecting gadget fan could resist that? The ease of e-mail and the beauty of the photo display alone are awesome.

UK price point still to be announced. Base US model is $499 at today's exchange rate is £320. We are painfully aware that's not how it works though, it's more likely to be £499 I'd guess.

I've been watching the iPad special event on apple.com, .. I just have to get one of those things. What self respecting gadget fan could resist that? The ease of e-mail and the beauty of the photo display alone are awesome.

Hey Rocky, not to dampen your enthusiasm about the iPad, but I can see some potentially frustrating things for those of us used to PCs trying to input info efficiently on the iPad. I am using a MacBook to type this post and I am already finding myself missing the right-click feature Windows has since Macs insist on only having one button. (That being said, the multi-touch pad is very cool for scrolling.)

Anyways, one feature I find quite cumbersome and somewhat frustrating on the iPhone is the cutting and pasting (having to press the screen for a few seconds) - can you imagine doing that on the iPad?? Also, I'm guessig you'll need to sync with iTunes on a PC to get any meaningful media onto your iPad, including your family photos/videos etc.

With the Flash issue and the potentially cumbersome input, I'd actually suggest you may be better off getting a 13" MacBook Pro or MacBook Air that would solve the problems of Flash, inputing, and all with a beautiful Apple display that will sit lightly on your lap. :P

Flash works fine on OS X.

I have no first hand experience, but that's not what I read when I researched this a bit. Somewhere I read that of all the errors sent back to apple HQ from the OS, flash was at the root of a high percentage of them.

Good points in the research you did there. Made me want to fire up my MacBook (which I'm sad to say is quite underused) to check on the Flash - I usually use Firefox, but I also checked Flash on Safari and I did the Adobe Flash version test to ensure I did have the latest version of Flash installed. I went to a few Flash heavy sites and some Flash gaming sites (my kids like Miniclip.com) and both browsers don't seem to have any problems (though I think Firefox is slightly faster than Safari with loading pages etc)

About the Flash thing, here is an article from today:

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/01/goo...les-steve-jobs/

Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it’s because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.

I've been watching the iPad special event on apple.com

Man, that Steve Jobs is a fantastic/terrific/amazing salesman.

Check out this edited vid of his presentation that summarizes the whole thing into 180 seconds :rofl:

Read this blog where the author points out a few other shortcomings

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31322_3-10443887-256.html

the iPad is hampered by a well-documented string of missing features: a camera, 16:9 support, Flash support (seriously?), multitasking, SD card slot, HDMI or high-res video output support, USB ports, GPS, and so on.

Seriously though, it looks very promising but I will probably wait til the 3rd iteration of it after they iron out some of the kinks - kinda like how it was worth it to wait for the 3rd-gen iPhone 3GS

Does anybody actually want Flash as Flash? No - they want the things that are usually done with it.

(Video and games, mostly. Thankfully the idea of using Flash for trivial animation has died out.)

From a technical point of view, Flash isn't much of a loss. More open (and even more pervasive) web technologies like HTML5 audio/video, animatable SVG, AJAX, CSS3 and plain old HTML are actually even more capable, and don't suffer from the awful CPU-killing perf or unreliability.

Some of these technologies are built into things you probably use every day - things that would once have been done with Flash without two thoughts.

Once people realise that '90% of PCs' doesn't mean anywhere near '90% of internet-using devices', Flash can actually be replaced pretty easily.

- Gache

Edited by Gache

I must be turning into an apple fan boy because I am either not seeing the shortcomings, or am seeing past them.

The Internet hot topic of flash on ipad I have decided doesn't bother me. Putting aside the obvious beef apple has with adobe and flash, the only flash site I use heavily is YouTube , and it works perfectly on ipad even in HD. I use the iPhone a lot and have not missed flash at all. Combined with the forward thinkers who are talking about html5 I really am not at all fussed about flash.

No 16:9? I don't really get that, the iPhone is the same and it can play back 16:9 fine. Okay there are black bars top and bottom, or you can tap the screen to blow it up full screen. Not sure what the big deal is with this complaint.

No camera? I am assuming they mean no webcam as the idea of a camera on a tablet is bizarre to me. This does look like a glaring ommision when you look at other devices, as I never use a webcam though it foes not bother me. For those it does it appears that there is actually a camera poet built on, perhaps for future expansion.

Multitasking? Don't need it at all.

USB? the ipad connects to a PC via USB so that let's me do all I need.

Maybe I am getting gadget love blindness, but none of those complaints phase me!