Which View, 1st Or 3rd and Why?

It just doesn't work with a tac-sim.

Depends what you want to use it for.

In Arma I use 3'rd person view.

Arma 2.

A tac-sim with tpv that works very well, a game appreciated by many. I hope we get mod tools and dedicated server files with ghost recon future soldier.

I would very much like to have the option of using both.

Me too.

Even if there is a server option to use either view, when all the servers offer the same view, then it ceases to be an option. This was a problem with GR2 and the OTS view that was implemented. There were many complaints of no 1st person rooms even though it was an option.

Could you not have hosted your own server with fpv?

Even if there is a server option to use either view, when all the servers offer the same view, then it ceases to be an option. This was a problem with GR2 and the OTS view that was implemented. There were many complaints of no 1st person rooms even though it was an option.

Could you not have hosted your own server with fpv?

I don't know, Ubi told RSE to put the PC version of GR2 on the shelf so we PC players never got it to see what we would have. The complaints I am referring to were from the XBox crowd and yes, they could make a server. Apparently everyone wants to play 3rd person shooters and kill off the 1st person shooter genre, at least of the Tac-Sim variety. As it stands right now, at least to me, the Tac-Sim, as created and first developed by RSE no longer exists. The Halo crowd now has a game with modern weapons.

with respect WK that’s not entirely true. Those who want to play 1st person view can and do play servers with restricted views, I know as I'm one of them. I've never liked nor played the OTS view.

The issue is that many of them simply don’t want the OTS view in the game at all, reasons vary but they usually come down to these two points...

The fact that many of their friends like OTS so they have to chose between playing without friends in 1st person rooms or playing with friends in OTS enabled rooms.

The second issue is that on the existing titles you cannot search filter games by any game view restrictions applied to the server, if these were in place it would make finding and playing 1st person rooms a great deal easier and eliminate the other concern about lack of friends on 1st person rooms

First of all I have them all on the xbox GR2,SS,GRAW1,GRAW2...this is my personal opinion, for some reason the games din't work quite right in FPV to me, is like those games where designed with 3rd person view in mind and the FPV was just a bonus for us complainers perhaps the FOV was not well implented. I used FPV on those games maybe less than 5 times..again this is my personal opinion.

First of all I have them all on the xbox GR2,SS,GRAW1,GRAW2...this is my personal opinion, for some reason the games din't work quite right in FPV to me, is like those games where designed with 3rd person view in mind and the FPV was just a bonus for us complainers perhaps the FOV was not well implented. I used FPV on those games maybe less than 5 times..again this is my personal opinion.

You didnt mention GR & GRIT in the list, did you play those?

I played from the first right through and certainly from a personal point of view I never had any issues with the 1st person view in the later games. It played and felt the same for me as GR did in that sense.

If you never played the game in 1st person view and only joined at GR2 where OTS was available perhaps you just prefered the feel of the OTS view?

FPWV!

One thing I dont like about FPS games is that when you look down zoomed optics, the whole entire screen zooms in. Even around the scope is zoomed in when only through the lens should be zoomed. They should implement this in GR:FS.

The only game to date that I can remember that had this done properly was one of those Novalogic land warrior games. The scope would come up and be zoomed in, but the rest of the screen was normal. This made it more realistic.

Now-a-days when you go to look down the optics, it's kinda like cheating becuase your whole screen zooms in and not just the lens...

Also, they should make sure its like GRAW (PC) and ArmA how when you look down and side to side you see your characters body and you don't just feel like a walking camera. Except make the FOV wide, GRAW was to close!!

The second issue is that on the existing titles you cannot search filter games by any game view restrictions applied to the server, if these were in place it would make finding and playing 1st person rooms a great deal easier and eliminate the other concern about lack of friends on 1st person rooms

That is a good point you bring up. It reminds me of the DA49 mod and how it crippled my ability to meet new players on random servers. I refuse to install that piece of trash.

That's a good point. The GR 1 field of view was great. So many of these newer titles offer basically a tunnel vision FOV where you are constantly looking left/right, as if peripheral vision isn't a fundamental physical tool, essential to a man's survival and fighting capability.

Can anyone who knows, list the FOV for GR and it's sequels for comparison? I'm damn curious to know the actual degrees.

FPWV!

One thing I dont like about FPS games is that when you look down zoomed optics, the whole entire screen zooms in. Even around the scope is zoomed in when only through the lens should be zoomed. They should implement this in GR:FS.

This was my first criticism of GRAW when I saw the initial trailers for the game. Since then I've pretty much given up hope on games impementing optics realistically, but it would be damn cool to see it. A nice addition to the immersion I imagine.

I guess GRAW was developed with the old 4:3 screens still in mind?

so in FS the field of view could be more normal.

Scoped up with the rest visible hmm, dunno but I guess a real soldier that scopes up uses his sight as a binocular and not using the periferical (did I jsut write that correct?) view much. It would make you eye focus slower (or am I wrong here) It could be used to detect movement, but as you zoom for the kill the sight should be scope only (at least for the sniper!)

3rd eprson view only for replay or x-box kiddies plz! I want a tactical PC shooter and not a console port as we know what they turn up to be!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I want first-person view only.

The reasons are simple: A first-person view is more realistic, more challenging, and more exciting. It is the ONLY way to present a true tac-sim, and it is a key to providing a high level of immersive gameplay.

This topic could be expanded to discuss all aspects of the HUD as well. For example, I would love to see an improved version of the team control interface from the AW series, but I think the inclusion of a "radar" or the red diamonds does not belong in a GR game at all. In general, the less hud the better.

Edited by Burawura

Option to choose tpv for single player. What's reralism got to do with it really?. The ArmA series is a war simulator video game, probably the most realistic shooter out there and it has option for third person view, nothing wrong with it, get over it already you kittens, meowww!, lolz.

Oh i forgot to add why ?, third person view is great for seeing your avatar and his/her uniforms and gear/weapons and watching the animations, it's brilliant and a really cool perspective.

3rd person view is rubbish......reminds me too much of games like command and conquer and suchlike. Anything topdown or behind view isnt "in your face" action and should be avoided. 1st person for me....ALWAYS.

FPV every time. 3rd person makes it too easy for the camper as they can stay behind the rock/bush/wall/whatever and wait for people to come along. At least in 1st person you have to lean out and show yourself before you can spot people. I don't mind if they let the host decide which view, so long as there is the option of playing GR as it was originally intended.

It was GR that got me into online gaming and I want that GR immersive, tactical feeling back.

The problem lay in giving players all of the natural options that are easy to control from third person, only from the first person. I have to admit, R6V did an alright job of addressing the issue, although it killed the immersion. As a physical person, you have an awful lot of options that seem intuitive, but if you're in the FPV and your only inputs are the mouse and keyboard, you're limited in the way you can express those. Admittedly, OTS gives you an unfair field of view advantage, but it also allows firing from cover (and especially lobbing grenades from cover) in a way that is a lot more realistic.

Ironically, I think the poses in Metal Gear Solid provide the best idea of how to execute cover moves in a way that is tactically sound (eg. you're not turning your back to the enemy) while not jettisoning the realism of the first person view (despite the fact that the game is played entirely from an over-the-shoulder perspective). The key is that you have to specifically enter and exit cover, which is a snagging point for the concept. It seems more reasonable to do it automatically, but perhaps not.

The point is that, to this point, OTS has won out in terms of freedom to do more of what is possible, but FPVis the undisputed king of immersion.