Which View, 1st Or 3rd and Why?

Well for me it's always the first person view, this is one of the reasons I like GRAW1/2 so much, I never liked the view in GR, it just didn't seem very realistic.

Same goes for the third person view, it just doesnt seem natural to me, I feel like a parrot sitting on the characters shoulder.

I think games like the upcoming GR4 should look towards a realistic view, when I walk I don't see my own head or shoulders like you see in a third person view, same would apply in a game it should be as realistic as possible.

The same applies for GR, here you see nothing more than a cross-hair, not even a gun and this makes it feel very unnatural.

I know there are countless others that wouldn't agree with me, this is just my opinion.

If I must pick one, I guess first person.

Id rather have both (see OFP), as I like the gun fights in 1st, but enjoy seeing my own character when nothing is going on, which is cool if you can customize them in anyway. Although someone is bound to start crying "built in cheat" if it ever happend, expecially around here.

FPV all the way

Tinker has said it already. OTS is a real nono in strategical gameplay. In ArmA it works good for vehicles and airplanes but then only when driving through really hard terrain or flying (stil cheaty to me but heck I play those games for the foot soldiers not driving and such).

Why not incorporate both and make sure that it is a server side option to force one or the other or give free hand to both. I like options.

FPWV. Same view I have in real life. And yes, even with the inherent limited peripheral view. Anything else = zero immersion for me. Moving the view to parrot view or remote control puppet view is too high a cost for expanded field of view.

Can't see everything at once? That's what you have a fireteam for.

Edited by doubletap

• 1 month later...

FPWV, with the option for players to toggle the 3rd person view in SP and MP in the server menu before mission launch. If I only get one choice. FPWV is more immersive, just don't make it a 90 degree FOV like BF 2. While horses with blinders may have limited FOV like that, people have what's called peripheral vision.

On that note, I'm curious, what was the FOV for GR, then GRAW? I loved seeing GR in wide screen after I got my new monitor, I wonder how much that expands your FOV, degree wise. Any techies know these? :hmm:

FPWV all the way, OTS has done nothing but push me away from GR and as it seems must of everyone else. Since GRAW and OTS i kind of writen off future GR's until at least FPWV is added and OTS is gone or at least in Ranked and unranked games is a option to turn it off for the room (console). To be honest i would like to see FPWV is on by default and if there is a OTS veiw you have to turn it on. That way FPWV for the first timers will feel more standered. I love the old GR (PC), but sometimes its just a one time hit.

I want 1'st person view. In replay a 3rd person view would be nice to show the errors made in tactical approach ( see were you didn't look)

In Arma I use 3'rd person view for driving vehicles otherwise I crash into every tree (too small field of view from the vehicle)

Must be first person weapons view only with the quick right mouse tap to bring up the scope or iron sights view a la Arma 2 - but absolutely no 3rd person view bcoz as Tinker said you can see around corners without having to lean/peak

either that or a 4th person view - that is the guy standing behind the guy looking at you in 3rd person - awesome!! and totally realistic!! ;)

I would very much like to have the option of using both, since I don't really see why we should be limited in any way. If people don't like using third person they don't have to, and for online gameplay the server should have a button to allow/disallow use of the feature.

I felt kind of cheated that we didn't get it in the GRAW series, so I really hope it will be around this time.

I would very much like to have the option of using both, since I don't really see why we should be limited in any way. If people don't like using third person they don't have to, and for online gameplay the server should have a button to allow/disallow use of the feature.

I felt kind of cheated that we didn't get it in the GRAW series, so I really hope it will be around this time.

Even if there is a server option to use either view, when all the servers offer the same view, then it ceases to be an option. This was a problem with GR2 and the OTS view that was implemented. There were many complaints of no 1st person rooms even though it was an option.