Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WhiteKnight77

Zero Tolerance Gone To Far

Students at Indiana's Richmond County Schools have been getting pink slips and suspended for innocuous clothing to include a pair of houndstooth patterned pants. Even khakis are reason for suspension if they have a tag showing. Read more about it at the No Stripes or Flowers: Extreme Dress Code? page at ABC News.

In other zero tolerance news, a food fight got several students arrested at Perspectives Charter Middle School with the oldest being 15. You can read all about it at Zero Tolerance? Arrested for a Food Fight at ABC News.

Zero tolerance laws are stupid and worse than what the kids do or are busted for.

Oh, I don't know...maybe putting a few of these neer-do-wells up against the wall will put a chill down the obese backs of their peers and they will for once straighten up. :shifty:

The ZT examples that get me are the suspensions/expulsions of students for being caught with a nail file or such in their possession...or the Eagle Scout when his Scout Kit (complete w/pocket knife) -locked within the confines of the trunk of his car on school premises- was discovered.

____

My prospects would not have been good if subjected to the same constraints that kids go through today.

Edited by NoQuarter

I've always thought school uniforms were a good thing. No brands, no fashion no peer pressure.

DS

There's always fashion, and there's always peer pressure. Kids discuss what brands of clothes they wear, and they're smart enough to know what's expensive, and what isn't. Perhaps if all students were issued uniforms of the same manufacturer by the school, then your post might be correct. As it stands though (at least in American public schools), your post is quite incorrect. We (teachers, administrators, etc) still have to police the children who don't have shirts tucked in, aren't wearing belts, try to wear their pants too low, etc. There are certainly some benefits to school uniforms, yes. Alleviating fashion sense and peer pressure are not among those benefits.

I've always thought school uniforms were a good thing. No brands, no fashion no peer pressure.

DS

I can tell you right now that this is wrong. Even if it is as Para said, even if the school ISSUES the uniform to EVERYONE, there's always peer pressure and fashion.

In Indonesia, EVERYONE wears the same uniform from elementary (white shirt with school board logo, red shorts/skirt with zipper and belt loops) junior highschool (white shirt with school board logo, blue shorts/skirt) and high school (white shirt with grey trousers/skirts). Private schools may, of course, have their own uniforms but they are all issued.

Thing is, kids come up with ways to show off. The newest sneakers, the latest phones, expensive bags/backpacks...

While I agree that in someways they help off set social gaps and peer pressure, unless the school mandates that students wear only ISSUE clothing and bags everyday (which no one will accept), its a moot point.

I heard this on the news this morning.

AN ABORIGINAL boy, 12, will face a children’s court today charged with receiving a stolen Freddo frog.

The chocolate frog, allegedly shoplifted by the child’s friend from a Coles supermarket in regional Western Australia, usually sells for about 70 cents.

The boy, who has no prior convictions, also faces a second charge involving the receipt of a novelty sign from another store. The sign, which was also allegedly given to the boy by his friend, read: ”Do not enter, genius at work.”Freddos

The boy’s lawyer, Peter Collins, has lobbied WA police for the charges to be withdrawn, but authorities had failed to respond to his request, he said.

”It’s scandalous that a 12-year-old child should be subject to prosecution for a case of this type,” he told The Age.

Mr Collins said that when the boy last month missed a court date due to a family misunderstanding, police had apprehended him about 8am on a school day and taken him into custody. The boy was then imprisoned for several hours in the holding cell at the police station.

Next some-one will be sued for breathing air, therefore depriving some-one else 'the right' to breathe that air - indirectly endangering that persons' life through depriving them the opportunity to breathe air. Yeah, something like that. :thumbsup:

Edited by WytchDokta

DS

I can tell you right now that this is wrong. Even if it is as Para said, even if the school ISSUES the uniform to EVERYONE, there's always peer pressure and fashion.

In Indonesia, EVERYONE wears the same uniform from elementary (white shirt with school board logo, red shorts/skirt with zipper and belt loops) junior highschool (white shirt with school board logo, blue shorts/skirt) and high school (white shirt with grey trousers/skirts). Private schools may, of course, have their own uniforms but they are all issued.

Thing is, kids come up with ways to show off. The newest sneakers, the latest phones, expensive bags/backpacks...

While I agree that in someways they help off set social gaps and peer pressure, unless the school mandates that students wear only ISSUE clothing and bags everyday (which no one will accept), its a moot point.

Bingo, well said. My wife and I (we are both teachers, btw) were discussing this over breakfast at our favorite restaurant this past weekend. School uniforms do have benefits, but kids will always find ways to show off, they'll find ways to belittle others. Really, the biggest benefit is that teachers don't have to deal with completely outlandish or revealing clothing, and we have a definite rule and precedent to fall back on when kids don't come dressed appropriately. Eliminating peer pressure though? No. It's pretty easy to spot the haves from the have-nots, just by how kids carry themselves and how they wear their clothes, even if everyone's wearing the same thing. Kids pick up on these things, and they mercilessly use these differences against each other.

Next some-one will be sued for breathing air, therefore depriving some-one else 'the right' to breathe that air - indirectly endangering that persons' life through depriving them the opportunity to breathe air. Yeah, something like that. :thumbsup:

Dude honestly, I can think of a half-dozen imbeciles that I'd love to sue for being oxygen thieves. Our school board superintendent is chief among them. Then there's my stepmother, my sister's ex-boyfriend, etc.