Ghost Recon.net Forums
firefly2442

weekend sale on Steam

No, the steam version provides full support mods and patching. You can even run any of the beta releases with it. Personally, I had initially purchased the steam version and had nominally planned to replace it with a DVD if I/we enjoyed the game just to ensure good support of patches and mods, but I have had no reason to switch and am still using the steam version quite happily to this day.

Well, ended up buying it on steam. Took awhile to download though.... yikes. :)

Gonna install newer graphics drivers as I fired it up and was getting some bad texture pop-in.

I found and online CDKey store offering Arma2 for 14.99

Don't buy as it's a trick...read about those every day on the official site.

If anybody wants to play some coop with a noob send me a message on steam. username: firefly2442

Put SPARTA in filter and join us we will try and get you started, start in Domination then you can move

on to tactical servers that have less run & gun feel.

I just bought CoD4 and CoD5 this way. I got them BOTH for 13.50. You just have to know someone who has the game disks you can borrow, or aquire the disks via different methods.

I would avoid places that you don't know that you can trust, though. Just do a search and see what people say about the e-tailer before you buy.

Is there a listing of the different gametypes in Arma 2 with a description of what they are? I'm never quite sure what I'm joining when checked out the MP browser. I checked in the PDF manual and searched around on Google but couldn't find anything.

I actually joined the Sparta coop server I think but was kinda confused on what to do. I figured out the teleport but then could never find the battle lol. Then I had to head out and run errands so I didn't have any more time to play.

@firefly2442. There are only a few "basic" gametypes in ArmA 1/2. To quote from the BIS Wiki

DM = Death Match

CTF = Capture the Flag

FF = Flag Fight

Coop = Cooperative Mission

Team = Team Mission

Scont = Sector Control

Hold = Hold Location

Unknown = Unknown

The real confusion results from the fact that there can be a LOT of added mechanics/details added on top of these basic gametypes by a mission/gametype creator. For example I suspect the Sparta server you joined was playing a "domination" style mission. Which is a VERY long lasting and LARGE type of coop mission that can last for days -- think part RTS and part RPG all crammed into a single mission. When playing things like that it is VERY easy to get confused about where the basic game mechanics end and where the mission features start. If you want to play that type of mission, i strongly suggest that you join a server that uses/encourages TS or in-game comms and then ask someone you know to join you and help you figure some things out.

We (Alpha Squad) alos have an ArmA 2 server (two actually at the moment) running. We do not have the player population that the Sparta folks have, but we tend to play more focused small unit tactical missions most of the time. (You will also catch us playing warfare missions when there are just a few people on the server to "pass the time"). Details on our server, TS server and the mods we run can be found at http://alphasquad.ro/forums/index.php/topic,2328.0.html and http://alphasquad.ro/forums/index.php/topic,2858.0.html respectively. Do not hesitate to hop on TS and ask any of our members or the people in the ArmA channels for help.

Good luck, there are soooooo many different ways to play ArmA, the real challenge is finding a style that works for you.

I just bought CoD4 and CoD5 this way. I got them BOTH for 13.50. You just have to know someone who has the game disks you can borrow, or aquire the disks via different methods.

I would avoid places that you don't know that you can trust, though. Just do a search and see what people say about the e-tailer before you buy.

Is that legit? If not, refrain....

Well, got my mic sorted out. I joined the Sparta TS channel for Domination and then headed into the game. The lag was really bad though. I'm guessing because there were so many people on it. I died pretty quick. Maybe it's laggy because I'm in the midwest... dunno. I hoped on Alpha Squad but TS was empty. I'll give it another go tomorrow. I think I'll just try to find a smaller game online tonight.

Well, got my mic sorted out. I joined the Sparta TS channel for Domination and then headed into the game. The lag was really bad though. I'm guessing because there were so many people on it. I died pretty quick. Maybe it's laggy because I'm in the midwest... dunno. I hoped on Alpha Squad but TS was empty. I'll give it another go tomorrow. I think I'll just try to find a smaller game online tonight.

Its probably the silly numbers ingame, come on ts and ask for locked server password it's saner.

ok you all here is the site. I havent yet purchased a item yet but will here to see how it goes. As for the discs you can get them just about anywhere (including digital download ones a s well)

Moderator Edit: Link removed until legitimacy can be established.

Edited by ZJJ

Firefly, if you are about on Sunday I can meet you on the Sparta TS Server and go through a few of the basic stuff with you if you like probably 2100 GMT I'll add you to Xfire.

OK thanks for the offer. I've got badminton practice tomorrow afternoon but I'll try to be on before I head out. Maybe we can catch one another.

LoL... this is like 3 threads in one.

@Rocky: All I know is that I bought a working license/CD-Key from someone who gets these keys wholesale. (Possibly from returned unopened games.) It works for me.

:)

Thanks for letting me play with you guys T_1. Sorry about shooting that BMP too early, I honestly thought someone said it was OK to fire.

The only thing I didn't get was the map. I could never see anything on it, not even myself. I didn't understand when you said switching comms changed stuff on the map. Anyway, good game.

OK thanks for the offer. I've got badminton practice tomorrow afternoon but I'll try to be on before I head out. Maybe we can catch one another.

Arma @ is a perfect cooling down after badminton, I do it every tuesday...lol

Thanks for letting me play with you guys T_1. Sorry about shooting that BMP too early, I honestly thought someone said it was OK to fire.

The only thing I didn't get was the map. I could never see anything on it, not even myself. I didn't understand when you said switching comms changed stuff on the map. Anyway, good game.

You did fine. That was the Tactical Server which we were on, the Public Server is a little more .... dynamic shall we say.

Someone did say fire btw, the other person didn't hear them, so when you let loose with the jav, it came as a surprise to them. No harm done .... except to the BMP :thumbsup:

I'll PM you with stuff about the Comms Set up in game to do with the map markers etc.

@Rocky: All I know is that I bought a working license/CD-Key from someone who gets these keys wholesale. (Possibly from returned unopened games.) It works for me.

:)

for info, CoD 6:MW2 cdkeys bought from such places are being banned

so be warned you should always buy a Retail boxed version or a true Digital version (from STEAM/Direct2Drive/Metaboli Etc)