Installing XP Pro

Tinker

Little problem installing XP Pro on my laptop.

I never had to install from a disc before, :icon_redface: all my PC`s have a reboot option to completely restore. Never had an issue that way, but still. This is my laptop which I have had Windows Home Edition running on since day 1, never had an issue with it until recently. Bought a XP Pro disc long time back and though I would give it a run.

So disc in and yes to install windows.

You chose to install Windows XP on a partition that contains another operating system. Installing XP on this partition might cause the other operating system to function improperly.

Installing mulitply operating systems on a single partition is not recommended.

To continue setup on this partition press C

To select a different partition press Esc

I just want to wipe it clean and start a fresh, I see no options for this?

Hi Tinker,

It's been a while since I have installed XP but if I remember rightly you need to press "C" to continue, it should then ask some more questions about where you want to install XP, I assume it will be drive C there should then be the option to format the partition you want to use.

The options are normally:

Quick format (NTFS)

Full Format (NTFS)

There are some more options which relate to the old FAT32 file system but for XP you should use NTFS and I always use the Full Format option, this will take a while to format your hard drive but I think it's best as it completely wipes all data, I think the Quick Format just wipes the Boot Sector and all the links to your files on the hard disk.

Hope this helps,

John

Sounds like a corrupt MBR or you have ended up with two XP installs on it.

If you press C when installing and then always choose the options for a clean install and reformat existing partition etc that shouldn't happen.

On start up now I have 2 options

1 Start windows home edition

Windows logo comes up, then unable to initialize properly and shut down

2 Start Windows XP Pro steup / Or boot from disc

Windows setup: Loads all window files and drivers

Search for previous version of windows

Lists C: properties then shuts down

:(

Is your XP pro a hologram or one of those branded one's? (like Dell O/S)

Also does your notebook have any sort of raid controller?

Go to the manufactures site and get the raid or sata controller driver. put it on a floppy (Yes xp requires them bleh). on blue screen as soon as it comes up press F6

when it asks you, specify a driver and point to your floppy. choost the controller. Now you should see your drive to formait it and install fresh.

One very important question Tinker: Do you plan to keep any data on your laptop? If not, then you can just delete the parition, re-partition your hard drive and reformat it before installing XP.

If you want to keep any data on your hard-drive, it will be a little more trouble ...

XP Pro is a hologram 1. Laptop has no floppy drive?

Don`t want to kee any data, just a fresh install if possible.

:unsure:

On startup choices are:

MW XP Home Editon

MW XP Pro Setup

Advanced startup options press F8

F8 options

Safe mode

Safe mode networking

safe mode cmd prompt

Enable boot logging

enable vga mode

last known good config

directory services restore mode

debugging mode

disable auto restart on sys failure

start windows normal

reboot

return to OS choices

None of the above do anything.

You need to boot from the XP disc again and tell it to do a fresh install, whn the partition screen comes up pick the NTFS reformat option. You'll get a warning about losing all your data but this does not matter to you, so confirm it and it really should be as simple as that.

Laptop just switches off instantly, no message, nothing, just bump, off. Every time it gets past loading windows files and drivers.

Press any key to boot from CD

Windows setup

Setup is loading files

Setup is starting Windows

Welcome to setup

Searching for previous version of Windows

List of partions appears on screen

seconds later, gone., like it would if you pulled the plug out on a normal PC, just complete instant shutdown. Laptop is plugged into the wall, not running on the battery power.

<_<

Adding, have been running it all weekend, had no previous issues at all with it switching off.

Charged battery full, let it run on battery only and all fine. Not a power issue.

The fan did not switch off though, was running the whole time which is unusual, lot of heat coming out from the side.

Got a can of air? sounds like a heat issue. With my notebook lint had built up inside the heatsink area right before the fan so it looked clean but was not. i actually took mine apart and then cleaned it. Runs so much better. Intel processors have temp sensors built in. As heat builds up they can slow down to cool. If there is too much heat though they shut off to protect the cpu.

about the floppy.... we have to use a usb one on any of the new notebooks that come with xp downgrades as they all have raid controllers in them now. Brand names expect you to use there pre driver loaded cd or there restore partition, or go to vista which will allow usb flash drives if it doesn't have the driver.

Sweet! Thnx Roco.

When cleaning it last time I did not take the fan out. This time I did so and the air vent was blocked with thick dust. Cleaned it out and Windows in installing as I type with no problems at all.

Thnx again

:thumbsup:

*Edit*

Fully Installed! PWNED by a ball of dust... :whistle: