Ghost Recon.net Forums

more proof that GR lives on...

OK I was in a local Best Buy store the other day looking for a switch I may need to link up my new PC and this one...so this guy is helping me and he got around to asking me if I play games and of course GR got mentioned...well he comes back to say "I play it alot and have for years...blah blah..." then he informs me that they still have people coming in looking for it specifically so he had it up on one of their demo PCs the week before! I thought that was pretty cool...of course I told him to come here and DL the newest stuff available...he was unaware of any of my mission pack mods so I told him to bite into Africa Burning..hehe

mig

Very nice to hear! And good work on spreading the word, mig! :thumbsup:

I keep buying copies of Ghost Recon to give away as presents to friends (girlfriends included) and family for e.g. birthdays, Christmas, and I-don't-know-what occasions. Amazon must think I'm starting a retail store or something. By now pretty much everyone I know is playing - even friends who usually don't touch computer games at all developed a curious interest in military tactics and strategy and started to ask me about online multiplayer. :)

It actually seems like there is quite a resurgence of good ole Ghost Recon. When browsing through other forums I keep stumbling upon new posts from people returning to tactical gameplay and rediscovering their love for GR. More often than not those posts begin along the lines of "I've had it with those brainless action games!", but it is surprising to see that even younger players, newcomers to GR - while spoiled by cutting-edge graphics of todays titles - don't mind the dated appearance of the game and are fascinated by its gameplay. I guess all is not lost when the next generation of gamers is still able to look beyond eye candy to recognize a game's deeper values.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome!

Personally, GR1 is the best GR in my opinion, and in the opinion of others who I spoken with, who are gamers themselves, tactical gamers also. I have plenty of PC games and can run all of the titles flawlessly but the oldest title I have, and still looks good, the environmental sounds are good also, is in fact GR, I tried the newer versions of it and it did not interest me. It didn't have the same "feel" as the original did.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shortly prior joining the USMC in 2007 I stopped playing GR due to a lack of time for anything. Then last deployment (a MEU...I was on ship doing nothing) my VC had 2 copies of GR, so needless to say I grabbed one. I played the original missions for the rest of deployment. But I got home and didn't touch it again. But then I went on another MEU where I sit in Okinawa all day, found the game, and I'm back into it. I don't think I could ever put it down.

I was kinda disappointed to see that many of the great modders have stopped or moved to other games, and many of the download links for my old mods are broken or nonexsisting. But I won't give up.

I was kinda disappointed to see that many of the great modders have stopped or moved to other games, and many of the download links for my old mods are broken or nonexsisting. But I won't give up.

Actually some of the best Ghost Recom mods were released in 2009, P2 for example is in the top 5 all time GR mods. And coming very soon is Blood Oil which will probably be the largest Ghost Recon mod ever. So do not despair, there is still much new content to enjoy.

If you have trouble locating a mod please let us know in the Mod Finder forum, I think there's only been one mod we've never been able to track down.