Frostbite

Rocky

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to start out by saying thanks, it's always good to get new mods, be it maps or weapons or both! With that said, maybe you can clear up a few "problems" my team mates and I have been seeing. The first is the graphics, specifically looking to the "distance." We've noticed that on most of the maps the game is slow to draw the next section of the map. The next graphics related question/problem is FPS. I've got my graphics settings turned way down and I still only get on average 30-45 fps, sometimes dipping down as low as 7! While I love the "reflective" surfaces, it seems to slow down processing immensely. I've not seen such a low fps on GR before in any expansion packs or mods before, so I'm wondering if there's something I need to do to fix the issue. The last is with the enemy AI. We've noticed (and it could just be coincidence) that enemies seem to spawn or appear only when they aren't in your field of view. I'll admit this does seem to present a challenge, but it's also not quite realistic, especially if you've visually "cleared" an area and moved on, only to return to that area and find a "bad guy" 10 feet away and opening fire. That's it for now, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Again, great mod, and even though I've posted these issues I along with the rest of my teammates appreciate all the hard work and effort that went in to the project.

The thing with the hostiles "spawning" in where you have been is to simulate that they may have come into the area form outside. No place is ever fully cleared in real life so it shouldn't be int he game. Always watch your back. ;) And you can't "spawn" in enemies when you see them come in, that would look really bad. :P This is how most scripters deal with the problem and how the "spawning" can be reflected to real life.

On the graphics part. What's your system? Many of the FB maps are more demanding on the PC then the original maps. So you should have a little hotter PC then what GR normally requires for it to work fine. This is something others have noticed as well and it has been the solution to the problem.

Just completed the campaign. Many brilliant aspects, especially the maps. I really hope you guys 'recycle' the maps with some new missions (especially the castle)! Thanks for all your hard work. I really enjoyed the cut scenes and the ending too.

Yey...we just tried turning my friend's graphics down a few more notches, and hosting on *another* machine and all was well. Hurrah!! So it prolly was the graphics settings after all, d'oh!

Thanks for the advice folks! It was good to get a bit of helpful input :)

Now to play the rest of the campaign. First and second missions were fantastic fun...great maps and some evil placement of enemies. Got backdoored a few times, and it seems that some of the outdoor bad guys aren't always in the same places which really adds to the repeat playability. Thanks for sharing something so brilliantly done....I dread to think how many hours went into making it!!

Edited by Catflavor

The thing with the hostiles "spawning" in where you have been is to simulate that they may have come into the area form outside. No place is ever fully cleared in real life so it shouldn't be int he game. Always watch your back.  ;)  And you can't "spawn" in enemies when you see them come in, that would look really bad.  :P This is how most scripters deal with the problem and how the "spawning" can be reflected to real life.

On the graphics part. What's your system? Many of the FB maps are more demanding on the PC then the original maps. So you should have a little hotter PC then what GR normally requires for it to work fine. This is something others have noticed as well and it has been the solution to the problem.

Roger that about the scripting, I'll let that issue die :D As far as my system, I've got an AMD Thunderbird 1.3 GHz with an ATI Radeon 8500LE 128MB and a SB Audigy Gamer sound card. I'm pretty sure this is a "bit" more than GR requires, and I've got several games that run quite smoothly that require many times more computing power than GR ever will. So aside from a hardware issue, any other ideas?

wrangler: How much RAM do you have? I missed that part. What is your OS?

XP requires around 128 megs. How many programs are running in the background?

If all is well in that department then the only thing that can be done to make them run smoother is to remove bad guys and vehicles and/or turn up the fog. There are a couple of maps that this wasn't done on purposely.

At this point in the game, it is senseless to patch this because it drastically affects gameplay. Turn your settings down or play on a lower difficulty level and it should run smoother for you.

Frostbite runs as smooth as IT on my system and most of the missions were modeled after IT as far as bad guy count goes.

Turn your settings down or play on a lower difficulty level and it should run smoother for you.

Frostbite runs as smooth as IT on my system and most of the missions were modeled after IT as far as bad guy count goes.

To be honest I think that is indeed more demanding than IT...

Needed to lower everything to minimal except for shadows, but I need those ofcourse! lol

It gives me a hard time in MP since my framerates drop to below 10 sometimes.. :angry:

AS for specs:

P III 733, 512MB, Geforce 2 GTS, win XP

Ok it's probably outdated already hehehe

I found sometimes that shadows showed even when AI's were behind a wall, don't know if u can change that? Haven't got a clue about moddeling except for Unigraphics, but that's different hehehe ;)

I also found that the firefight mission with the frozen ship (not good in names) was strange, AI's seem to try to walk through an opened door, so by shooting at the door I killed some, and no one tried to walk around the door :blink:

But again can imagine that it is basic.

Really love the mod it's the best I've seen so far.

Great job! And Neutron good luck with the job hunting! Shouldn't be a problem after this I expect..... :D

I would like to add my standing applause to the accolades for this mod. Outstanding work gentlemen.

One very small, picky, question. Is there a texture missing from the FAMAS mag? Mine shows up in non-textured white.

I’m already aware of this hostage error and it is in my to do list for the upcoming patch. Thanks for your attention to detail and pointing this out.

El oso

Regarding the FAMAS once again, these weapons are from Sabre Teams. I investigated this a little further and I distributed every texture associated with the model. I even went further to look into Sabre Teams and found that the weapon looks the same. I forwarded this on to the weapons crew.

Depending on the availability of files, (the weapons themselves are probably about a year old now) I’ll see about getting this error fixed and in the upcoming patch.

Thanks for your observation.

El Oso

SneakyBastard - Just a thought: Why don't you find someone on the forum, or another friendly with broadband in Australia and get them to d/l it and burn it for you? If you give them some pennies for their time, effort, CD and postage it shouldn't work out too tricky/expensive.

I'd offer myself but I'm in the UK :o/

Hi,

I'm playing Frostbite with a couple of friends Co-Op and we're loving it...really impressed...even though we're only on the first map.

We're having a bit of trouble though. We follow the APC route but when we get to the uphill road which heads towards the SAM launcher. Halfway up that slope, one friend's PC always locks up or sometimes drops him back to Win2k. The other two of us are always fine.  We also tried the second mission and he crashed as he approached the bridge of the ship.

Is this a known issue or something new? If you could offer any help that would be great.

If anyone has any pointers please feel free to mail me at: cat flavor at hot mail dot com (without any spaces etc).

Cheers,

Catflavor

Mu guess is that your friends machine simply can't take it. Tell him to try and lower the graphics settings. Turn off replay recording and stuff like that and try again.

i'm having the same problem. (i'm a computer technican {10 years employed})

my system smoothly runs GR and all the expansion packs at 1600x1200 (so power is not an issue). I'm running the latest patch and drivers. My system is exceptionally stable... so what can the problem be?

I've had a couple of 'infinite sound loop' lock ups in missions. I read in connection with another mod that this can sometimes be caused by overlapping sound effect areas (if that's the right technical term).

On the whole, though I've found the mod to be exceptionally stable in SP, on my aging, 1g Slot TB system with G400 graphics.

Incredible work to all involved.

Testament to gaming community that such a package is available FOC, after so much hard work.

Thanks you guys!

Could you put an option for the threat indicators back in? I can understand why they'd be thought of as unrealistic, but it'd be nice to be able to choose.

Even just the compass - as useful for bearing...

or am I being dumb here? :rolleyes:

Greetings!

I've noticed that when using Frostbite on an original mission, the mission was altered on White Razor. This was concerning the random movements and location of the patrols and civilians running around. This was different every time the mission was restarted, the AI positioning and timing was changed.

Although I haven't yet tried this with every mission, two missions are certainly altered. It really makes replaying the missions exciting!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Can anyone explain what in Frostbite causes this to occur? :ph34r:

Read a comment over at the TCZ forums (where I ladder play) that the FB mod had affected the reticule positioning in original maps. Ignored it to be honest, figured the poster was looking for an excuse for an off day. :rolleyes:

However, I played on a server yesterday running the FB mod but we played a bunch of original maps and on every occasion "on target" shots just weren't on target. I'm not the best player in the world but after a while and with some really obvious misses it got me wondering if there could be any "truth" in this comment?

I'm anxiously awaiting the v1.1 patch so maybe if this is a little hiccup it's been fixed?