System Build

Snake@War

Well it's been more than a year since I've had a computer worthy of being considered a gaming pc... I've been getting by with a PS3 and a Acer Aspire One netbook but that is changing now.

I'm building a gaming rig.

For the case I'm using a cheap Logisys Area 51 mid tower. It comes with a 480 watt psu (I'm afraid to use a cheap PSU) but I'm going to use the XCLIO Goodpower 500 Watt PSU for my PSU.

For the MOBO I'm going with the Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P. It will allow me to unlock the extra 2 locked cores in my...

AMD Phenom II x2 550 Black Edition Callisto. It is rated at 3.1 GHZ as a dual core. But my mother board should allow me to unlock the 2 extra cores, essentially giving me a quad core @3.1ghz for $102 (But I'm not holding my breath for the 2 extra cores. If all else fails, I'll just overclock it to 3.6-3.8 ghz as others do with the stock heatsink). That's pretty incredible IMO.

For my GPU I'll be rocking a HIS Radeon 4850.

For my RAM I'll be using 2x2gb G.SKILL DDR2 @ 1066 mhz.

Oh and I went with the WD Caviar Green 640GB for my HDD.

So what do you think?

And for a rough idea about performance see this review of the Radeon 4850, but bear in mind that the rig used in the benchmarks had a 2.8 Core 2 Extreme and 2 GB of RAM.

I'm pretty excited, needless to say! :D

Sounds good mate, here's hoping you don't have any more, uhm, hiccups though...

Yeah, no kidding man... :wall: Needless to say I was quite frustrated when I discovered my... hiccup. lol But this computer should be a beast, IMO.

Well I got everything put together yesterday minus the RAM... Remind me next time NOT to save the $4 and go with UPS 3 day as opposed to Egg Saver... I bought the frikkin stuff WEDNESDAY and it's STILL at the DHL processing site! At this rate it will be here around the end of AUGUST!

[/rant]

lol I'm sorry but I just can't wait a moment longer...

Keep an eye on your DHL order tracker...3 years ago I ordered RAM from NewEgg and they delivered the properly addressed package to the wrong location -resulting in a bunch of angry back and forth phone calls before finally being found (at least they got the city right)- and then last year a BIOS PROM from ASUS' Indiana/Kentucky office ended up traveling 200 miles south from that location...before eventually turning around and heading (north) in the right direction.

Hourly employees. :D

Edited by NoQuarter

Well my RAM came in yesterday so I was very excited. I installed it and booted the computer up. Installed Vista 64 bit !3! times and then XP 64 bit.... but it was just horrifically screwed... Nothing would work. So I decided to run a stress test. RAM was good, Hard Drives too... Motherboard is sound. CPU in tact...

Stress test begins: Core 1 = Passed... Core 2 = Failed (immediately might i add)

So now I'm stuck RMA'ing my processor... fun stuff huh...

:(

Install XP first then install Vista.

Well I installed Vista 3 times and when they didn't work, I reformatted and installed XP. Prime95 wouldn't even START, and nothing would run, random Explorer crashes and all... That happened each time in Vista, as well as XP. I had to boot up a systems diagnostics cd to get a program to even run. That's when it said that my second core failed immediately. I wish it was a simple fix... :(