Fort Horizon Beta is Ready for Testing

Fort Horizon v1 is ready for testing.

This mission is scripted on the stock map The Fort.

I have added some new props to the map, it has new lightmap textures and cube maps, not sure why but I was unable to generate the silhouettes the editor would create the "silhouette" folder but not the "sil" folder, I tried many times but with no luck. There is also a new minimap.

Also updated the texture scope file so I hope I've got it right.

The mission has eight objectives and around 240 AI.

I hope some of you will give the mission a test, your feedback is invaluable.

Thanks,

John

Link:

Fort Horizon v1

I have added some new props to the map, it has new lightmap textures and cube maps, not sure why but I was unable to generate the silhouettes the editor would create the "silhouette" folder but not the "sil" folder, I tried many times but with no luck. There is also a new minimap.

If you are using all GRAW2 stock maps, the sihouette's are already premade; the silhouettes are made with the prop or building in 3D Max, so if there is nothing to add, it will not populate out the folder.

Hay John, myself and two other guys checked out this great new map yesterday. I don't know if this will help you but the game crashed twice when we went to the right and triggered 5 and this was from two different servers on Britizes. So we went to the left on third try and it didn't crash when we finely triggered #5. And finely, I played it by myself later and it crashed when I tryed to change single shot to auto. The map has great detail and better color than the orgional one. Very glad to see this map come out again. Good go.

Goose

Thanks for the reply TAWGoose,

I checked the world.xml and found one of the snipers was set to mex_special_forces, this causes a crash when using the Brettzies mod so maybe it's what caused your issue.

The dreaded "Z" key bug, changing the fire mode in the game will cause a crash 90% of the time, sometimes you can use it a few times but mostly it will cause a crash, this is a known bug in GRAW2.

Pleased you like the textures, the original map had a lot of issues with the light maps mosty the grass (it seemed to be glowing) and the trees (a lot of them were black).

I will post a new version here in a few days, will wait to see if any more issues arise.

Thanks, :thumbsup:

John

John,

Great map! (no jeeps?! :P )I enjoyed playing with you and Anthony. First time through, no worries (no crash and no lag). I couldn't figure out what you guys were looking up at during extraction. I though it was the heli at first but then realized it was the chopper. The chopper stayed on the pad the whole time on my screen. Second time through we had the crash, sorry but I failed to get a screenshot. If it crashes again on me i'll make sure to get it. Although the AI for ADAT A are pretty tough, I think the 3 of us were able to handle it so I wouldn't make it any easier. This one is almost perfect out of the box, you're starting to make this look easy.

Rahn

The dreaded "Z" key bug, changing the fire mode in the game will cause a crash 90% of the time, sometimes you can use it a few times but mostly it will cause a crash, this is a known bug in GRAW2.

I may be wrong, but I am sure Rpghard mentioned that this always happens after respawning at least 8 or 9 times. Seems the case for me in the past too. <_< As a scripter, you could enforce a maximum of 8 respawns in the mission I believe? At least it could ensure this Bug does not evolve maybe. <_<

Hi Rahnman,

Saw you online so I thought I would hop in and see how it was going.

Sorry there's no jeeps, I did try to add them but they kept sinking :P , the way Bogie is going (getting GRAW1 props into GRAW2) he will be making amphibious landing craft next, that would be cool!! :rocky:

Strange about the heli, for me it was flying upside-down it then flew of leaving us stranded.

As to the crash, I got a server timed out error saying that it was disconnected.

Thanks Tinker, I am surprised this bug wasn't fixed in the latest patch, I will give your idea some thought, maybe I'll have a onscreen message at the start saying "DON'T PRESS Z" :blink: , I have removed this function in the controls menu, the Z key is set to night vision.

John

I played your mission today. Just a few things that didn't seem right to me:

• two trigger locations (one is next to the control panel and one is next to ADAT A) are a bit too close to these objectives - I saw bad guys appearing in front of me.
  • Bad guys were stuck inside their mg nests when they tried to get away
  • mi28 appeared at the end of your mission and expoded about 2 minutes later.
  • I think you can land this little bird at the extraction (like you did in Urban War)

Overall - a very enjoyable mission and I think you did a very good job with this one. :thumbsup:

TripleX

Thanks for the feedback TripleX,

I made the AI at the mg nest unable to get out as they have to be killed to complete the objective, I have found in the past that having to kill AI to complete a objective can be a problem as they tend to wonder off making it hard to find them and finish that part of the mission.

Regarding the control panel, the trigger there is for the next objective (Vip and General), the control panel is just something to complete when you are heading towards the Vip/General or if you are heading the other way it will be toward the mg nest, there are just two AI guarding the control panel.

I did wonder if the trigger was to close to Adat A, was it there you had the hot spawning, for the next beta I will make this trigger location bigger.

I have seen on other posts that people were saying that the MI28 stayed in the mission for two long and the general opinion was that it is better to have it fly off after a couple of minutes. I set it to explode as it has to be destroyed as part of the extraction objective along with killing the AI that are at the extraction point

The Littlebird, not sure what happened for you there but it should land there you can then approach it and the game will end, can you let me know what the heli did in your case.

Hope this post makes sense as I am suffering with a migraine and finding it hard to concentrate. :wall:

Thanks,

John.

The Littlebird, not sure what happened for you there but it should land there you can then approach it and the game will end, can you let me know what the heli did in your case.

It hovered above the ground and was drifting upwards. It never landed. See here:

32362ecf573d30265905a3ffc12a05ab29b75eb1.jpg

Thanks for the picture TripleX, :thumbsup:

I was playing the mission online last night with Anthony and Rahnman, we had the same issue but the strange thing is Rahnman saw the heli land as it should but Anthony and myself had the same problem as you, it hovered upside-down for a while then flew off.

Don't know why we had the heli problem while Rahnman did not, do you think this could be a server issue, is it possible there was a delay online I don't know very much about servers so any thoughts here would be helpful.

I'm now going to test the mission online to see what happens.

Thanks,

John

We didnt play your Map till now, but later the night i think...

To the hoovering heli... I had the same issue at triplex´harbour map. The heli comes in, starts to land, but didnt touched the ground. After a While he goes up and down and stays in the air...

Twix hasnt it, there the heli stays down...

Dont know, but i think only thze server himself sees the right thing...

Just checked my code, the only time the "SetHeliStand" element is used in this mission is for the AI transport heli, you have to use the code so the AI can exit the heli.

When the Littlebird fly's in it hits a location trigger it is ordered to land .

<trigger name="t_heli_land02" interval="1" preserved="false">

<condition type="UnitInLocation" location="loc_heli_land" vehicle_id="heli02" equal="1"/>

<event name="e_heli_land02"/>

</trigger>

<event name = "e_heli_land02">

<element type="StopTrigger" name="t_heli_land02" start_time = "1"/>

<element type="OrderHeli" vehicle_id="heli02" order="land" position="-1374.1858 -5470.6572 669.53821" speed="0.7" start_time="1"/>

<element type="StartTrigger" name="t_objectives_complete" start_time = "10"/>

</event>

As you can see for the Littlebird the "SetHeliStand" is not used.

Cheers,

John

EDIT:

Sorry tripleX, I think I read your post wrong, I thought you meant don't use the code, but I think you mean I need to use it.

I will give it a try and include it in my next beta.

Edited by JohnTC02

Sorry tripleX, I think I read your post wrong, I thought you meant don't use the code, but I think you mean I need to use it.

I will give it a try and include it in my next beta.

Yeah, I meant that you should use that line :P , but... I added that that line to your mission.xml and tested just now and guess what... that didn't help. Littlebird is still going up. Maybe you should try landing it at the coop_spawn location?

I've also noticed one spelling mistake: waypoint_id="Generall".

Thanks for the reply TAWGoose,

I checked the world.xml and found one of the snipers was set to mex_special_forces, this causes a crash when using the Brettzies mod so maybe it's what caused your issue.

Pleased you like the textures, the original map had a lot of issues with the light maps mosty the grass (it seemed to be glowing) and the trees (a lot of them were black).

I will post a new version here in a few days, will wait to see if any more issues arise.

Thanks, :thumbsup:

John

I 've never experienced the issue with the "Z" key rate of fire button crashing the game. Even on 5 different PC's running XP and Vista. It gotta be your GRAW 2 install OS or Hardware.....

I 've never experienced the issue with the "Z" key rate of fire button crashing the game. Even on 5 different PC's running XP and Vista. It gotta be your GRAW 2 install OS or Hardware.....

There speaks a Pro... *rolleyes*

Cant - the "Z"-Bug is allover known and present... I think u didnt noticed we all talked about online multiplayer...

There the "Z"-Key crashes the game...

It isnt a faillure in the OS or the Gameinstall... Its a "non"-fixed Bug from the game itself...

Best regards from good old germany

porter

Edited by porterslug

Yeah, I meant that you should use that line :P , but... I added that that line to your mission.xml and tested just now and guess what... that didn't help. Littlebird is still going up. Maybe you should try landing it at the coop_spawn location?

I've also noticed one spelling mistake: waypoint_id="Generall".

I have tested the the extraction several times but was unable to recreate the issue, I'm not sure what type of server you are using I did my testing with a online server plus were you playing lone wolf, it's hard to fix a problem if you can't recreate it I know it's happening, I saw it myself when playing with Anthony and Rahnman, I,m thinking as Rahnman didn't see it could it be a server glitch, have the servers been very busy over the las few days, just a thought!.

I will correct the spelling mistake, that's what you get for scripting until 2am.

Cant_ID_You, just take a look back at the forums you will see countless posts regarding the "Z" key bug, people have been trying to fix it for ages, my solution is don't use it.

Cheers,

John

Ok, just played it...

Had no issues, not much lag instead of lower frames, only the old issue if NARCOM is send or a trigger is activated the frames go down...

Somethins was to easy too: If u blow the mule u start up overhead the MG-Nest and its to easy to kill them from top...

I mowed them down with my MG...

Overall nice to play, i hate the gays in the bushes :D

Only thimng at the extract: That isnt a Blackhawk, more a Little Bird...

See pic below

graw22009-06-1923-13-47-00Small.jpg

And a link to a larger scalled pic

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/por...23-13-47-00.jpg

I have tested the the extraction several times but was unable to recreate the issue, I'm not sure what type of server you are using I did my testing with a online server plus were you playing lone wolf, it's hard to fix a problem if you can't recreate it I know it's happening, I saw it myself when playing with Anthony and Rahnman, I,m thinking as Rahnman didn't see it could it be a server glitch, have the servers been very busy over the las few days, just a thought!.

I was testing on my dedicated server.

Judging from what you've said, I think that only the host/server can see the landed bird and the rest (players who join the server) are going to see it fly away, right?

Somethins was to easy too: If u blow the mule u start up overhead the MG-Nest and its to easy to kill them from top...

I mowed them down with my MG...

Only thimng at the extract: That isnt a Blackhawk, more a Little Bird...

Pleased you liked it, maybe I will add 3 more mg nests (just kidding) :P , I put the fencing there to make it a bit harder to kill them, there's no stopping you Porter.

I wondered how long it would be until someone spotted the narcom saying Blackhawk, there's no narcom for the littlebird and I think that location is too small for a Blackhawk, saying that though I'm wondering if the Blackhawk would be better, maybe it would stop the issues with the dedicated server if I just made it fly in and hover there, I will try it and if it works I will add it to the next beta.

Thanks, Porter

I was testing on my dedicated server.

Judging from what you've said, I think that only the host/server can see the landed bird and the rest (players who join the server) are going to see it fly away, right?

I think you are right, it seems the Littlebird is causing an issue with dedicated servers, going to test the Blackhawk.

Thanks for all your support so far, :thumbsup:

John

Ok, v1.1 is ready for testing.

The main changes here are to the extraction, I have removed the Littlebird and replaced it with the Blackhawk. It will fly in as normal but won't land, it should hover just over the extraction point. I don't know if this change will help with the dedicated server issue but It's worth a try.

Other Changes:

1. I have made the location trigger at Adat A larger.

2. Changed one of the sniper groups that was set to mex_special_forces.

3. Corrected a spelling mistake on one of the waypoint markers.

4. The mi28 heli now stays on the map a bit longer.

It would appreciate it if some of you that had the issues with the heli at extraction could retest the mission.

Thanks for all your help.

John

Link:

Fort Horizon v1.1

John,

The TAW boys tried your v1 last night (not 1.1) and had no issues. Another nice map. Martyr said that he experienced an issue with the AI in the MG nests in the courtyard spawning inside walls, but that has never happened for me and didn't happen last night. Never-the-less, you may want to check it out. We also played ghost town v2 last night (our new favorite) and had no lag w00t .

Rahn

Dear JohnTC02,

I've been testing your map last night and map is pretty good. I had one crash when i change fire mode. I play alone in my server, no lags. I have accustomed to darker fort but this envirnoment is good.

Winters