7z compression levels

migryder

Has anybody used the compression options of 7z for maximum or ultra? I'm zipping a folder of 1.78 gigbytes...wondering if there might be a greater chance of corrupting the zip using one of these levels of compression...

mig :ph34r:

There shouldn't be. The higher compression rates make for smaller files, with the trade-off being a longer time to pack and unpack.

It's basically just balancing resources. Space vs. CPU time.

The Heroes Unleashed downloads are all 7z-compressed on "ultra" setting without any problems. Currently the mod is over 4GB in size and downloads are just about 1GB - a nice 75 percent reduction.

then I'll pack it on ultra and save some download time for player...thanks guys. I will state that two people who downloaded and unzipped the test version of P2 with software other than 7z ended up having to go back and use it to get a clean unpack..don't really know why myself...I would think IZARC should do ok cause I think I've used it in the past..believe I used 7z for unzipping HU BETA though...

mig :ph34r:

Good call - not only is the download time decreased, the considerably smaller size also makes it "easier" for people to keep a backup copy of the download around. Compared to e.g. maximum Zip compression you should save about 20-30 percent disk space.