Russian weaponry modellin thread

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Nothing advanced at all - just playing about with Google SketchUp (it's free)...

Started doing a AK74M - but sadly I lost the file in a major HD crash!

Here's is as far as I got...

2727805786_f262090b04.jpg

So I had to start again - but this time I thought I would do the AK74U (the shorty). Just started so only done the front sight so far...

3465418181_b30aae9893.jpg

Will post up the progress on this and hopefully more in a series I plan on Russian weapons.

Steve

www.milgeek.co.uk

Edited by Clone_Ranger

Posted

Wow, thats nice, and from a free program.

Posted

Wow, thats nice, and from a free program.

Yes, it ain't all that bad - but there are other free 3D programs out there too - I'm looking into one called Blender at the moment that has a lot more tools and is closer to expensive apps like 3D Max.

I managed to get a little bit more done to my AK74U model yesterday (I can only do a bit at a time unfortunately):-

3473582442_a3d21ccb5e.jpg

3473582310_9dcd0c2436.jpg

The next step is the 'wooden' fore grip and then onto the receiver.

BTW - here is what the 'real thing' looks like - this is my airsoft AK74U on which I have based my model:-

3455748600_f1aed54993.jpg

Posted

Sketchup is a fantastic visualization tool man, dont knock the work just because of the tool you're using.

If you want to use the asset for games or a render, sure, youll have to remodel it in max or blender or something and fix some more solid topology, but this is a great way to learn to observe forms. Keep it up :)