"Six Days in Fallujah" by Atomic Games

Cool, nice find. I wonder who are the 20 RSE employees mentioned here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22649

Red Storm, best known for developing Tom Clancy's titles for Ubisoft, has a strong spiritual presence at the new Atomic: Benito was executive producer on the original Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, studio manager John Farnsworth managed Red Storm, and around 20 former Red Storm developers joined up.

http://www.atomic.com/news/atomic-returns.html

Video Game Pioneer Atomic Games Returns to Make History Yet Again

RALEIGH, NC – March 10, 2009

Twenty years after pioneering the Historical Action video game category, Atomic Games is back. After working for three years behind a shroud of secrecy, the company is announcing today that it has returned to the video game sector to usher in a new breed of Historical Action video games.

Atomic was quietly re-formed in 2006 by bringing together co-founders of Red Storm Entertainment with experienced talent from Bungie, Activision and Electronic Arts. Since then, the company has created a proprietary game engine for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Macintosh and Windows, and its 75-person team is now developing an innovative 3D shooter for one of the world’s top 5 video game publishers.

“What’s always made Atomic unique is the way it translates real-life tactics and events into new kinds of games,” according to Peter Tamte, president of the new Atomic. Adds Keith Zabaloui, who founded Atomic in 1989, “Plus, the activities and missions that occurred in real life often offer more interesting content than anything someone could have made up.”

One of the top developers of its time, Atomic garnered a “Game of the Year” award for its very first game, “V for Victory,” and went on to develop 14 commercial video games, plus a variety of realistic training simulations that are in use today by military and intelligence organizations around the world.

Atomic is best known for “Close Combat,” which helped launch the real-time strategy genre in the early 1990s. The game sold over 1.2 million units and was named one of the “50 Best Games Ever” by PC Gamer in 1998, as well as one of the “Top 10 Strategy Games of All Time” in 2004 by Gamespy.

About Atomic Games

Headquartered in Raleigh, NC, Atomic Games is a video game development studio pioneering new kinds of Historical Action video games. Atomic is owned by a variety of employees and investors, including In-Q-Tel, a private venture capital firm funded by the United States Central Intelligence Agency. More information about Atomic is available at www.atomic.com.

Well I'm one of the Ex-RedStorm folks now working on this game. Of course I can't say anything that the PR guys haven't said but have definitely seen some mixed reactions from different groups. All I can say is that a lot of people have been jumping to conclusions and should take the game for what it's worth when we release more information on it.

I'm glad I can at least say what I've been working on since leaving RSE a year ago. Rather than "A yet to be announced title" :).

thanks,

-pat

And this game may not come to Europe.

Report: Konami may skip 'Six Days in Fallujah' Euro launch

The dust has barely settled on the announcement of Six Days in Fallujah, but it once again finds a way into the news. During Konami's Gamer's Day in Frankfurt last week, unnamed representatives for the publisher told GamePro.de that they were waiting to see how Atomic Games would portray the brutal battle for Fallujah before deciding if the game would see a European release. Representatives also told De Telegraaf that it was unclear what the level of violence would be in the "documentary-style" shooter.

Since announcing the title, developer Atomic Games has been publicly lambasted by peace groups, veterans and their families for developing a video game based on an ongoing (and already controversial) war. Recently, a group of US military Iraq War veterans announced support of the title in an interview with G4TV, saying the project could hopefully "bolster support" for troops.

With Konami's European reps questioning a release, we wonder if Six Days in Fallujah will ever step out of the controversy long enough to hit store shelves anywhere.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/14/report-k...ah-euro-launch/

You know it's often true that not everything said in interviews is set in stone. Wait till it's out or a demo or something then be the judge. Otherwise I would probably say it's too soon to make assumptions of a game's given sexuality. Of course I'm biased and think it will kick some serious ass. Also can't wait for the next GR :).

Everything else about the game sounds promising but you really need to convince the top guys that a rengenerative health system is not the way to go. The tension and joy for a urban warfare game should come from not knowing what is around the next corner. If you have a OTS system married to a forgiving regen health system then you fill fail miserably in this and become just another average shooter with an interesting premise.

An innovative peeking system would be much better. If I'm playing a game thats uses a real historic battle as its backdrop then I would want to experience that battle as closely as possible as the soldiers who fought in it. Not a GRAW/SOCOM/GOW2 style remake of it.

Well I'm one of the Ex-RedStorm folks now working on this game. Of course I can't say anything that the PR guys haven't said but have definitely seen some mixed reactions from different groups. All I can say is that a lot of people have been jumping to conclusions and should take the game for what it's worth when we release more information on it.

Hi Pat! Good to see you posting again on these forums :thumbsup:

Sounds like you guys are working on a winner here. Looking forward to hearing more info on it. (Hopefully your PR guys know how to do a better job than Ubi :shifty: )

With regards to the regenerative health, I'd be curious what the consultants (Marines) on the game think about it. There's always a fine balance between gameplay and realism.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well we're back in the news folks. Amidst the controversy and general beef. There was a spot on ABC news last night:

(I'm in front of Read at marker 1:54 where he's aiming at me with air-gun)

Also had a fun little Fox news pewp this morning on fox and friends. The "News Personality" is quite a joke and got ticked off she didn't get a rise out of anyone.

http://www.foxnews.com/

And look up the coverage on Six Days in Fallujah.

Fun times and great oldies! BTW: Both show some yearly gameplay.