Asus 1000he: Open For Suggestions

Cpl Ledanek

picked up the Asus 1000HE also, and now just waiting to charge the battery.

so far:

--- I've updated the XP Home

--- installed AVG Free

--- SpyBlaster

--- Portable FireFox (my thinking it should use less memory than Full Version)

I could be very wrong about this

--- installed plug-in/add-on for Portable FireFox

--- Flash

--- VLC 0.8.6

tomorrow:

--- OpenOffice

--- SpyBot

--- portable GIMP is still undecided

Please offer suggestion on what programs to load up and what to uninstall

The netbook did not come with XP Home on disc....I'm assuming its on the partitioned HD.

I've never done a BARTPE disc before...was wondering if I should/ could do a BARTPE without a XP Home disc.

I have a USB External DVD Burner (Sony) to burn if need to.

Going to be used for surfing/email/music/mini-flash games (Yetisports, pinball, etc)....entertain myself at the food court while waiting for wife to finish shopping

...my question with mp4, never done it...first one I did to practice was my old Batman (Tim Burton) and used Handbrake to make an mp4 (using PS3 setting) so I can transfer to my HE netbook.

Problem was: I can't pause or fast-forward to a scene on VLC.

Question: is that how mp4s are? you can't fast-forward or select a scene? or is that my VLC?

advance thanks

Yeah, Led. MP4s, AVIs, MKVs and the like do not support scenes. You just have to remember or jot the time you stopped last into a text file or something...

I suggest you just get rid of SpyBlaster and AVG. SpyBot is great for spyware, and I suggest you install Privoxy (it's a proxy program that runs locally) to help block even more junk. Avast is a great free anti-virus. That's my "great protection for free" list... I also recommend Chrome as an alternative to Firefox, but if you would rather run Firefox, it's the best alternative.

I have the 1000 model (solid state instead of hard-drive) and I upgraded the ram. It makes a little difference, especially if I'm trying to do a bunch of things like browsing and using open office. I stuck Ubuntu on mine so I can't say much in terms of drivers and software but if you're looking for help, this website has a ton of stuff:

http://www.eeeuser.com/

The wiki and forums are fairly good.

thanks guys, I'm coming across a lot of threads on this netbooks.

so far I've been able to add mp4 movies using handbrake, using PSP settings to reduce file size but maintain good quality, i.e. Matrix Reloaded with 2.1 AC3 sound at 977mb...my 16GB Corsair Voyager Flash drive is becoming a media mecca now :rofl:

will read up on nLite inside a SD card....sounds promising, just in case I over do my modification. :whistle:

I know you said you use a portable drive for the DVD/CD, but can you copy the disk to a flash drive via the PC then install it to the notebook?

might give these two topics a try:

Easy default system recovery from flash drive! (Windows)

Tutorial: Using a USB Thumb drive for full/nlited install of XP (redo)

...so far Matrix Revolution & Sin City looked & sound good on my black 1000HE.

no glare while watching the movie...my belly tends to distract me when I'm watching