Empire: Total War

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not really an era of history that I'm interested in, but I keep hearing good things about this game. So I've just bagged a copy of this game. I got the Empire: Total Warâ„¢ Special Forces Edition (includes Empire: Total Warâ„¢ & Empire: Total Warâ„¢ Elite Units), got me some cool special units for singleplayer.

Looks like it will take an eternity to download through Steam though. Ready to play in 12 hours? You got to be ######tin' me. Good ol' speedy Steam. <_<

I'm wondering if I should still get M2 Total War and the Kingdoms expansion too - I carry the ancestral surname of a 'tribe' of North European people (who invaded England back then) upon which one of the factions in M2: TW Kingdoms is based.

Looks like it will take an eternity to download through Steam though. Ready to play in 12 hours? You got to be ######tin' me. Good ol' speedy Steam. <_<

You're talking about an 11.5 gigabyte game, here. I don't think steam's servers are at fault.

You're talking about an 11.5 gigabyte game, here. I don't think steam's servers are at fault.

I do think the servers are at fault - everytime my E:TW download was interrupted, it would go back to 0% downloaded - it wouldn't continue at the % complete it was before the interruption. For example: 17% Downloaded >> "Download Stopping" >> "Download Starting" >> 0% Downloaded. :unsure:

Dunno, I got the physical copy of the game. It still took about 15 minutes to install though. The scope of the game is a lot bigger than previous total war games. I noticed some little bugs here and there but overall I think it's quite polished. I just need a better computer to run it though. :(

A patch is supposed to be released today or tomorrow to fix some glaring issues as well as improve performance. Apparently, another patch will be released next week to fix even more things. Good news overall I think. It's a little sad that some of these things weren't caught by the beta testers and quality control but given the scope of the game I'm sure they had lots to do.

Alright, I'm more accustomed to the typical RTS's where you build structures and purchase units from those structures.

So how do I got about conquering the map in E:TW? I can move my units about, but how do I branch out to claim other provinces/countries? I figured out how to declare war on a certain country, but what if I want to just walk in there or walk into unexplored territory - surely I can't declare war with a land that no-one has explored/settled yet? :huh:

I know how the mechanics of the quick fights work, just want to know how the whole conquer the world thing works.

Edited by WytchDokta

In Rome and Medieval there were rebel areas that could be attacked at will to enlarge your Empire, the politics was pretty basic and you couldn't threaten foreign armies with attack unless they left your territory etc. I'm hoping politics has been improved in Empires.

I've read that you don't just have cities like before you have assets all over the map like farms and ports that you need to station forces at to keep happy.

There are units you can use to explore without upsetting the natives moving armies onto there territory gives them the hump. Spies, assasins, priests, immans and diplomats could be used in Medieval to explore I haven't found out the Empire units yet.

In Rome and Medieval there were rebel areas that could be attacked at will to enlarge your Empire, the politics was pretty basic and you couldn't threaten foreign armies with attack unless they left your territory etc. I'm hoping politics has been improved in Empires.

I've read that you don't just have cities like before you have assets all over the map like farms and ports that you need to station forces at to keep happy.

There are units you can use to explore without upsetting the natives moving armies onto there territory gives them the hump. Spies, assasins, priests, immans and diplomats could be used in Medieval to explore I haven't found out the Empire units yet.

Alright, got it. Playing through the Road to Independence campaign taught me how the turn based part of E:TW works.

You get an Assassin for free if you do Great Campaign mode. Well I did while playing as Great Britain.

The more I play it, the more I love this game. I've already had a very successful campaign with Prussia. I conquered the northern half of Europe in 50 years, minus Sweden, Norway, and Great Britain. I started on a new campaign last night with the Maratha Confederacy. I've taken over nearly all of India and am closing in on the last few remaining Mughal states with 3 armies.

@WytchDokta: You conquer the map by capturing a region's capital city. Attacking or capturing other cities/farms/etc. will only damage the region's infrastructure.

@custard: The only Agents you have in Empire are Rakes(Assassins), Gentlemen(Scholars), and Missionaries. Rakes can be used to assassinate, sabotage, or infiltrate and their chance of success is determined by their skill (number of stars on their character). Using rakes is looked down upon so if he is caught, you may have to face some consequences. The Gentlemen are used primarily for research. Place them in schools or universities to speed up research time. They are also the only way to "legally" kill other agents by dueling them. They can also go to universities of different nations and try to steal their technology. Again, chances of success are based on skill. Missionaries are primarily used to bring your religion to another state. I usually use them to help quell discontent within a region.

All three types cannot be bought like regular units. When certain building types are constructed, they will "spawn" a certain type of agent.

The past tells me that there will be a lot of patches for this game so I will not buy a copy for some time but it all looks the dogs having played the demo the sea battles look a lot of work (very time intensive) but very rewarding. The changes to the land battles and the fact you can't hide a few units in a castle to protect a whole city state changes things fundementaly.

I read that the campaign mode is going online multiplayer sometime soon, looking forward to hearing more.

So in the campaign has religon gone?

There seems to be a glitch with getting standard army units to attack an enemy Scholar/Gentleman. Try it and see what I mean. They basically swap places with each other and no blows are struck.

The year is 1802 now and I have captured 11 regions on the American independence campaign thing. Need to have captured 15 regions by the end of 1825. Britain only hold 3 more regions though, so I might have to attack Spain next, or one of the 'minor' factions. Damn, the British sure put up a good fight. And the French still refuse a military alliance with me despite me keep sending them money/gifts. Not that they're much good anyway - their navy keeps getting owned by pirates (that is, the same damn pirates that keep raiding my trade/supply routes). Cherokee have a number of regions nearby but they are at peace and look to be massive in number and I've not looking to be the next Leonidas. Iroquoi are an ally, but they don't seem to do much, their guys were even piling into British regions at one point but they weren't attacking.

Quick fights are awesome, I love having hundreds of screaming soldiers running at the enemy, while moving my cav. out to flank and engage their cannon crews and while the rest of my army provide support fire from nearby. Switching it to slowmotion when my guys are running at the enemy ready to engage in melee is epic. :D

Edited by WytchDokta

Woo, completed the American Independence campaign, and destroyed two factions in the process.

Seems a stupid question, but how to unlock the 'complete one quick fight achievement'? I ask because because going on singleplayer and playing a single land battle does not unlock the achievement. It does not say whether or not it has to be a ranked match.

Edited by WytchDokta

That's a good question, I saw that too....

In terms of attacking gentleman with armies, I don't think you can do it. There are a couple things that I think they did better in previous total war games but overall I'm impressed. I haven't tried multiplayer yet and don't really want to get destroyed lol.... If anyone wants to team up against the AI and play a couple battles let me know. :)

I use the missionaries to soften up target cities before conquering them. It makes it easier once you take it to prevent the population from revolting. If there's a difference in religious views then it's likely you'll get an unhappy populace and have to leave a ton of troops there. It makes it easier to just keep moving a full army stack and conquering cities one by one while still keeping them happy.

Edited by firefly2442

I originally posted this in a thread at GameTrailers, but I'll post it here too since you guys play ETW as well.

I started a campaign with the Maratha Confederacy a few nights ago and it's been amazing. Once I conquered all of India from the Mughals, I turned to Europe with Great Britain as my ally. Spain and France broke off their alliance and I invaded and captured France. At this point, my people were clamoring for reform and began to go against my government type both at home and in Europe.

It would have cost too much to put each rebellion down, so I quelled all of them except for in my home region. I allowed rebellion to take place, sided with the rebels, and overthrew the monarchy to create a republic. Now, all my regions are fairly happy.

Soon after I was rebuilding France, Spain offered to give me Lombardy, Florida, New Mexico, and a Caribbean island in exchange for France. I accepted the offer and captured Upper and Lower Louisiana in North America and Alsace-Lorraine in Europe to eliminate France completely. I then proceeded to take a few minor European countries. By this time, Spain had become enemies with most of Europe so I allied myself with nearly all of Spain's enemies. My next goal is to begin a campaign against Spain.

I'm also trying to negotiate with the United Provinces (who is an ally) for Ceylon, which is the last territory required for me. So far, they haven't responded much to any of my offers of other land or money (I even offered them 40,000 with some land). But I've still got about half the century to go, so I've got some time. Maybe they'll consider trading regions when I conquer Spain and its territories.

If anyone wants to team up against the AI and play a couple battles let me know. :)

Sure, I'd like to do that. But I'm limited as to when because I don't have access to the internet in my new accommodation; I have to travel back to home to be able to use the internet.