Ghost Recon.net Forums

Has anyone been following this tech and know whether or not it is just another fad or if it is actually worthwhile to shell out for the googles and a compatible monitor?

According to the spec sheet...

GeForce 3D Vision Game Support

NVIDIA® GeForce® 3D Vision™ automatically transforms hundreds of PC games into full stereoscopic 3D right out of the box, without the need for special game patches. By leveraging The Way It’s Meant to be Played™ program and its close relationships with game developers, NVIDIA® provides a terrific 3D gaming experience.

Ratings (Sampled-from supported game list)

Excellent

Call of Duty 4

Call of Duty World at War

Good

ArmA: Combat Operations

Ghost Recon

Fair

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2

I reviewed 3d glasses over 5 years ago with edimensional's version, I can't really see what's new with this Nvidia setup, looks like they are just playing catchup and trying to get in on the scene. Their glasses are twice the price of Edimensionals though.

It's an amazing experience, I haven't used the glasses in quite a while now, but I clearly remember how extremely cool an effect it is. The only problem I remember is that in Ghost Recon the aiming reticle was off, you'd fire at point x and the round would land about 5 metres away. So it was no good for multiplayer, but fun in single player.

It is also taxing on the system because it's effectively drawing the same scene twice, for every frame.

I might try and wire my old glasses back up, bet it looks incredible widescreen...

Here's your monitor to go with it:

http://www.iz3d.com/t-22monitor.aspx

Be careful when you run out of the room when that monster's coming at you. You may stumble over your chair and break a leg.

I once saw a 3-D clip where popcorn was spilt all over the screen. People watching it were wiping "popcorn" off their laps. Only there wasn't any.

Looks as though this NVIDIA version requires Vista, applications using DirectX (for 3D Stereoscopic), a C2D or better, an 8800 series GPU or better, and either an LCD rated as "GeForce 3D Vision-Ready" (Samsung® SyncMaster ™ 2233RZ, Viewsonic® FuHzion ™ VX2265wm) generic CRTs@100Hz, and certain DLP HDTVs.

@Rocky: Do you remember how easy/complicated the E-D setup ^ was...I just pulled up the 3D vision .pdf and it looks pretty straight forward.

Edited by NoQuarter

I tried the ED glassess, awesome with UT games & GR, just got to play with refresh rates caused it made me very nauseas at 10-20 min of play time.

plus your usual aim will be off

I end up returning it bcoz of that...check their current return policy. :thumbsup:

^

Good point :thumbsup:

The users manual does cover the medical/vision issues in depth, including tests...RMA info- not so much :D

____

Regarding the aiming problem...apparently for some games NVIDIA adjusted the depth of the crosshair to compensate, and it looks as though the Control Panel offers alot of fine-tuning options.

@Rocky: Do you remember how easy/complicated the E-D setup ^ was...I just pulled up the 3D vision .pdf and it looks pretty straight forward.

It was very easy, there's a dongle thing that plugs into the graphics card adapter on the rear of the PC, which is wired (or wireless) to the glasses. Install drivers (one of CRT one for LCD) and that's pretty much it.

Regarding the aiming problem...apparently for some games NVIDIA adjusted the depth of the crosshair to compensate, and it looks as though the Control Panel offers alot of fine-tuning options.

The ED has options for this too. While you are ingame you press a key combo to increase or decrease the depth of field, and there was another set for bringing the crosshairs back together, but I found doing that lessened the 3d effect greatly so it was all about finding a happy medium. Even with the crosshairs making shooting headshots kind hard, I just played because it was so damn cool, the 3d has to be seen to be believed. I am def. going to install it this weekend and see how it looks on my LCD, I only ever played it on CRT before.

Did you see my Youtube video on it?

Sorry guys it was a non starter. My 8800GTS has DVI connections, but the 3d glasses dongle has the old D-Sub connection. I still managed to hook them up using a DVI to D-Sub connector piece I had lying around, but there was no 3d when I launched GR.

I've e-mailed e-dimensional so when they get back to me I'll get back on track.

It's kinda uhm silly looking now, but at the time it was fun.
Priceless.

Is that your youngest?

____

It looks as though both have the exact same set-up...thanks for posting it up. :thumbsup:

My oldest :D That's my old set up though, that monitor is in storage now.

Thanks, very interesting. Not sure if I'm ready to spend the $$ on it yet.

Wait until I get it going on my LCD (which I am excited about), I'll see how the aiming thing is working out. I did notice the latest software has quite a lot of cool features, like game specific profiles you can save.

• 1 month later...

If you want 3d on the cheap try this, get yourself a pair of pulfrich 3d glasses, the paper ones with one clear and one dark lens.

Put them on and play, the effect only works when you're moving but its really good, I've played world of warcraft with them on and it makes the game look totally 3d, for the best effect try strafing sideways or circle strafing something. Let me know what you think if you do try it.