Printer Inks

Tinker

epson stylus XS400 series

Nearly out of ink already. :huh: I guess the ink that shipped with the printer was probably not full to begin with. Probably printed off around 100 pages at the most though.

What do other`s do when they run out of ink?

Replace the cartridges or refill them with new ink? If it is the latter, any tips and guidelines to stick with?

Many printers cheat with this. I mean it's cheaper to buy a new printer than changing the ink.

If i were you i would try to buy some online (if you find new cheap ones) or in those places where they fill again your own cartridge. But don't skip the option of getting a new printer comparing prices with the money you spend on the cartridges.

Edited by Big

Is the tank(s) or cartridge clear? If so, keep a visual eye on the tank and replace when totally empty. I use the genuine inks from Canon. I read an article comparing cheaper inks from refillers (more often than not just dyes) and genuine inks (some are actually dyes and not pigments) had better color and were more vibrant and more fade resistant. My tanks cost about $15 each and my printer takes 6 of them (2 are photo inks and rarely get replaced).

Tinker for years I refused to use 3rd party ink refills, I believed the manufacturers hype about using only true Epson cartridges.

Recently I changed, and started using 4rd party refills. Not syringe hastle, proper cartridges that look exactly like the real thing, even with microchips on them. The price saving is unreal. I get 4 FULL SETS for the price of one Epson set.

You said it was a XS400, did you mean a SX400? If you did, use the same firm I use and make this saving,...

4 Full sets for £29.99 at inkredible.

v

£17.99 for only 1 set at Amazon.

I know where I'd be buying :thumbsup:

Office Max has an Ink Refill station now. But personally unless you neede a photo printer you are way better off cost wise with a real laser printer. Sure the things cost 2 to 3 times as much to buy, but the toner is usually only about twice the cost as a full set of inks and prints on avg 3000 to 5000 pages vs 200 to 500.

after going thru two Canons, taking a chance with them 3rd party refills, and reading lots of Dpreviews Printer Forums, I came to the Epson camp due to its quality prints.

Downside, their inks are expensive if you buy them on a clutch.

I always buy them in bundles or rebates. Even when the Epson monitor tells me I'm low I keep printing until it prints dry.

I also print draft-mode when its just emails or grocery list...sometimes not even. I wait till I get to work and use the printer there. Yes I'm that cheap. I reckon I'm helping Mother Earth.

Which contradicts my no-3rd-party-refills policy. Then again, I do not ruin my printer heads which is essentially what the printer cost, with these 3rd-party refill inks.

So, buy them bulk, bundled inks, rebates...often. :thumbsup:

You said it was a XS400, did you mean a SX400? If you did, use the same firm I use and make this saving,...

4 Full sets for £29.99 at inkredible.

:drool: Yep my mistake, it is SX400. Will be ordering those soon as. Thnx.

Fletch

But personally unless you neede a photo printer you are way better off cost wise with a real laser printer.

Photo printer is definatley preferred, will keep in mind laser printer though, thnx for the comparison.

Thnx all.

:)

Then again, I do not ruin my printer heads which is essentially what the printer cost, with these 3rd-party refill inks.

I have to disagree with your post! What you are doing is actually doing more harm to your print head than 3rd party refills could ever do. To be clear, the only possible issue with third party inks is that you do not get as good a photo print as you would with official ink. There is no danger to the print head though.

What is dangerous to the print head is exactly what you are doing, running dry. The ink across the print head acts as a coolant to the printhead, so if you run dry you can actually damage the print head through overheating :o

I remember reading that once, might be worth bearing in mind, as you say, the print head is the expensive bit, no point in risking it. :)

Dam, Rocky being a lad from the highlands, pays way too much for his ink !!!

I too use 3rd party inks, but being a Yorkshire man like to save every penny....

SX400 ink FULL set of 4 £6.97 inc VAT

http://svp.co.uk/product/pj_comp_eps_s20_d..._pj_d78_combog6

Always ask a Yorkshireman.... :rofl:

Excellent service, I've used SVP.CO.UK for 4 years no problems.

even pay with PP.

I use an Epson R300 & for 4 years run it on 3rd party ink (same brand) still working.

viii

http://svp.co.uk/

p.s. and that ain't no special offer, it's 365 days offer ;)

My epson, discontinued now.... but still churning out CD/ DVD & Prints !!

epson_stylus_r300.jpg

Dam, Rocky being a lad from the highlands, pays way too much for his ink !!!

I too use 3rd party inks, but being a Yorkshire man like to save every penny....

SX400 ink FULL set of 4 £6.97 inc VAT

http://svp.co.uk/product/pj_comp_eps_s20_d..._pj_d78_combog6

Always ask a Yorkshireman.... :rofl:

That works out at a whole £2.11 cheaper than inkredible for a 4 pack :o:P

That store actually has a really good range of blank media and cases - and you would recommend them for reliable service?

Edited by Rocky

Then again, I do not ruin my printer heads which is essentially what the printer cost, with these 3rd-party refill inks.

I have to disagree with your post! What you are doing is actually doing more harm to your print head than 3rd party refills could ever do. To be clear, the only possible issue with third party inks is that you do not get as good a photo print as you would with official ink. There is no danger to the print head though.

What is dangerous to the print head is exactly what you are doing, running dry. The ink across the print head acts as a coolant to the printhead, so if you run dry you can actually damage the print head through overheating :o

I remember reading that once, might be worth bearing in mind, as you say, the print head is the expensive bit, no point in risking it. :)

:wall: duh! I see mis-communication.

yeah Rocky is right with running dry...that's how Canon printheads take up the paper's fiber clogging them.

what I should have said is running dry, when you start seeing the black in starting to fade gray.

been using the discontinued Epson 750Photo which still comes out really nice...I'll often print something that I've printed from a photolab...sit them next to each other and ppl can't tell the difference until they flip the paper to look.

I usually combine them with Epson glossy or matte paper too.

Now using Epson Stylus CX5800F...great all around...really nice 4x6...eh not so much on the 8x10....maybe its my camera.

I'll clear something up here, I do all printing types, I have an Epson A4 R300 printer & an Epson A3+ R2400.

I photo print, DVD/CD surface print, and just general junk print, everyday stuff (Internet orders for the superstore etc.).I film print, laminate print, I even Canvas print with my inkjet.

If I want photo quality: I print all on my R2400 with Premium photo Glossy paper & Epson original inks

If I want Matt photos, studio style, I print with my R2400 on Matt photo paper & Epson original inks.

All paper sizes from 6x4 to A3+ / colour & B&W.

If I want DVD/CD surface printing, I use my R300 & Copy inks (third party)

If I want general to do lists, Internet printing, I use my R300 & copy inks.

I use two printers, sheer luxury (as a Yorkshire man would say). I don't expect any one would do the same.

The point:

If you want to do real photo quality prints with stunning colours, then buy EPSON originals.

If you want to do loads of general printing, buy the copy inks.

I've used the R300 & R2400 with both inks, there is a big difference when the prints are side-by-side, I've never had the copy inks block up my printer, I still use the same heads as purchased with the original printer. The only problems have been, none use, the ink dries & it takes a while to get all jets firing, but they would do that with EPSON originals too (my R2400). The main thing is £6 v £50 for my R300 is a none contender !!! as for photo printing I have to pay for originals, the printer takes 9 (yes nine) cartages @ £11 on average that is £99 a set or £89 on a deal for the R2400. I have found a little place near me in Yorkshire that does, Originals & in Date inks, I have found no one to beat them....

http://www.oyyy.co.uk/

R2400 £10.21 Cart. (they use to be £8)

http://www.oyyy.co.uk/search.php?search=R2...p;Submit=Search

Not tried this for my R2400 but this will be my next try for originals.

http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?pr...;source=froogle

Conclusion:

As for you and the SX400 you will not find cheaper copies.... I'm a grand master at price hunting, adding in factors like service & reliability. I consult with many other bargain hunters (Yorkshire). SVP is the cheapest with Service. If you are mostly doing photo quality prints, avoid copies, the colours are no where near. If you are general printing, then save your money buy copy inks..... your printer will run for a fraction of the price.

Ask yourself, why did you really get the SX400? photos? or general printing?

viii

p.s. As for replace or refill, refilling is messy.... I always replace, but I use copies or originals (I run 2 printers).

For photo prints I send mine to a lab, like Photobox. Even official inks/paper cannot match lab printing, especially for longevity and fade resistance, and especially for price I personally cannot see past photobox, they rule :thumbsup:

For the kids, DVD labels and documents, the home printer is adequate, anything else I upload.