Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tinker

Power Supply

Today the main fuse for powering all the upstairs plug outlets blew. I have replaced it, and all does seem fine.

Is there a method of working out how much power you should not exceed at any single plug outlet? I think that I caused the fuse to go with too much stuff plugged in and running at the same time.

My room has:

1 x Single plug socket

2 x Double plug sockets

Between the 5, I run extensions from 2.

I am calling in an electrician I know to check it out at some point in the week. Staying safe until then, only running bare essentials.

Add up how many amps each item you have plugged in then check the rating on your fuse to see if it can carry that load. A 15 amp breaker is good for about 1800 volts if it's in good shape. Could be the fuse just weakened over time until it couldn't carry what it was rated for. I've replaced a few breakers here at work that looked fine but age must have weakened them causing them to trip from time to time. Once there replaced with a new one all is fine.

Put a new piece of fuse wire in and all seems fine. Maybe it was just wear and tear. I always assume there is a problem when something like this goes. Will try to work out how many amps I have going, and go from there, thnx.

Had my mate the electrician round this morning. He found some old wiring downstairs that was in serious need of attention. I was not home, but mom said he only had to poke the cables and the all the lights flickered. He managed to blow the same fuse in the process.

Old cables have been stripped out, all else good. Sometimes pays to be cautious.

:thumbsup: