Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
firefly2442

Online Translations

Anyone here have any experience with the translating services online like Babelfish or Google Translate?

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

http://translate.google.com/

I'm just curious how accurate they are. I'm working on doing some translations for a web project and I'm not sure if I should use these or rely on people to donate their expertise. My French and Spanish are pretty rusty these days...

Thanks. :)

They are fairly accurate. Babelfish will miss a few small words, but it's not very hard to put 2 and 2 together. If you're trying to do it for a presentation or something, consult a person who speaks both languages so they can get the proper grammer in place.

Not completely at least when you re-translate something back to english to see what was said.

I tried "How are you?" in both and both came up in Kanji (sp) and I noticed the first character in both was different. So I copied those characters and re-translated to see what the difference was and they both came back out as "It is vigorous?".

Not to derail the subject too much, but I couldn't help but think of some of the movies that are dubbed in Chinese, then subtitled in English. Revenge of the Sith comes to mind. Or, as the Chinese called it, the Backstroke of the West. So I guess as durka-durka said, try to find someone that speaks both languages, to get the grammar right. :)

Each language has it's own algorhythm; each language follows its own pattern (even sister languages, taht is, other languages based upon the same root language). Danish and Norwegian are very similar (Norse root language), as are French & Spanish (Latin root language), but there's enough differences in these languages to set them far apart, aside from spelling/pronounciation (Spanish J is an English H sound, French J is an English ZSH sound.) It's like Dutch, German, Swedish and English come from the old Norse root language too and look how different they all are. Whats right in one language is completely wrong when translated into another language. Word for word does not work especially when the word order of the respective language is different.

However, there are noticeable patterns between the languages - because I speak German, I can understand Dutch writing. Because I speak French, I can understand Spanish and Italian writing. In both of these cases it's through the spelling rather than the pronounciation. What I mean by these patterns is this: There are words in Danish/Norwegian/Swedish that have SK in them - in English, this SK becomes SH and in German it becomes SCH. Example: Englisk, English, Englisch. Bearing these patterns in mind, it's not difficult to work out these words in languages based on the same root language. :)

Also, we share like half of the same words with the old Norse based languages anyway. It shouldn't be too difficult to work out what 'under', 'katt', 'elefant', and 'psyko' mean. :D

Edited by WytchDokta

Those are useful when you already "can" speak the language. I wouldn't trust on them so much. They can show you some words you don't know, so if you already can speak that language you can end with a good translation.

Anyways depending on how much it is i could help you with the Spanish. You can contact me on big @ armaholic.eu. Just show me what you need and i will tell you if i can or not help you. (Of course if it's not so complicated on English :D)

Thanks for the suggestions. I might post some strings of text and see what people think about the translation. Happy holidays.