Ghost Recon.net Forums

Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

Back to HU, I had hoped for automating DXT texture compression via batch (which would still take weeks), but apparently compressed ARGB (alpha channel) RSB with embedded mipmaps cause unsightly clipping errors, and there’s no way to filter them out. Back to the drawing board we go.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Download Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed (Version 1.0.0 Beta 9)   Spread the word, folks. Long live Ghost Recon!   PS: A huge thanks goes out to Wombat50 for doing weeks of

At last I have another free weekend with some spare time for Ghost Recon modding and checking in with you guys. You have no idea how much I appreciate all of your feedback and encouragement to continu

LOL. Well then, you guys asked for it... taken directly from the Beta 9 ReadMe:  

Posted Images

It looks like mipmapping any RSB with Alpha 1 and materials alphas is a bad idea, irrespective of DXT compression, it just becomes more visually obvious with DXT.

Will have to brush up on javascript some more, but should get this fixed soon.

• Like 1

Okay, mipmapping has been fixed, automated compression is underway for another downsizing test. Looking good so far. I may be able to squeeze a compact HU version into about 20 GB install size. How‘s that for “lite”? 🙂

• Like 3
19 hours ago, ApexMods said:

Okay, mipmapping has been fixed, automated compression is underway for another downsizing test. Looking good so far. I may be able to squeeze a compact HU version into about 20 GB install size. How‘s that for “lite”? 🙂

20 GB is certainly much more tolerable, but I still think the map pack idea would be the best way to handle this.

• Hardcore players will probably download whatever you make, but more casual players (of which most of the people I play with are) don't want to commit the space. The main goal is to increase accessibility. We want more people playing, right?
  • Most people probably don't play most of the maps. I know I don't. Why should I be forced to download them?
  • Since you already organize the map files so well, wouldn't be that hard to just pull the mission files and the map folders into a separate mod.
  • The "base" version should probably have all of the campaign missions and maps as well as the other maps included with the original game and expansions. Any gameplay updates would only require updating this smaller portion. You could also release this version sooner, get people playing it, and then release map packs as you work on them.
7 hours ago, Jack Wachter said:

20 GB is certainly much more tolerable.

Nobody needs to tolerate anything. If the mod is "intolerable" for you, don't download it.

• Hardcore players will probably download whatever you make, but more casual players (of which most of the people I play with are) don't want to commit the space.

Again, if they don't want to, they don't have to.

• Most people probably don't play most of the maps. I know I don't. Why should I be forced to download them?

No one is forcing you to download anything.

• The main goal is to increase accessibility.

If that was the main goal, I wouldn't be modding a hardcore tactical shooter that is almost twenty years old.

Just wait and see. I think I'll find a nice solution.

• Like 1

Tough couple of days. System troubles. Lost a ton of work. May need a break, once I get the machine up and running again. Apple is not what it used to be.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Finally, after days of struggling, my Mac is humming along again. I‘ll be taking a break before I resume modding... which probably means I‘ll start working on HU right after I had some coffee, a couple of cigarettes, and some playtime with my dog.

Ghosts never surrender.

Despite the recent setbacks, mod work is almost back on track, albeit quite a bit behind schedule. Will be tough to make up for the lost work and time, put I‘ll push on trying to at least get some form of “teaser” out the door (relatively) soon.

• Like 2

Lost more work than I thought. Still fighting to restore stuff, but lots needs to be redone from scratch. Depressing. Need a better backup routine (and discipline).

• Like 1

I should've downloaded Heroes Unleashed a long time ago, and now I'm trying to with the downloads section down. 😭