Ghost Recon.net Forums
ApexMods

Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

OMG that sound's great!

I agree the duplicity break immersion, and Ghost Recon was way ahead of its time with character animation to avoid this issue. When the AI are going about their business it always looks fluid and real, not like robots all moving in time. Now with your new individual character features, it's going to be fantastic!

If you need low end testing i've still got my ######ty calculator laptop that cant even run SWBF2.

But Jesus Christ!!! 800 as in eight hundred, eight zero zero?! Did you do some in your sleep?

It sure feels like it sometimes. :)

Of course most of the skins are just small variations, e.g. different gloves, a changed vest, altered colors, etc. - especially as most characters are in uniform, after all. But those small changes achieve the goal of individualizing each and every character quite nicely, which adds to realism and therefor immersion, and with the addition of hundreds of individual faces and some extra AI tweaks - combined with GR's excellent character animations Rocky pointed out above - it hardly ever feels like fighting against bots anymore.

Speaking of AI tweaks… you'll be amazed how far this can be pushed in GR. :)

Since the next release will probably require two parts to download, have you considered making a torrent? I'm up for seeding it, though it'll take a while considering my upload speed sucks.

By the way, what kind of addons do you have for the Ghosts skins?

Edited by nyleken

Yes, a torrent could be a good solution to the file size problem, but I'm not so sure it would be populated enough to ensure constant availability. Haven't looked into seed boxes yet, so that may be a way to go. With ModDB hosting up to 2,800MB files it should be possible to squeeze the download into two parts (keeping my fingers crossed). The last test archive with ultra-high 7-zip compression was already well beyond 4GB, and currently the mod still keeps on growing while I add essential assets from my to-do list.

Currently the only skin add-on is for classic BDU/DCU for the Ghost team and select US army characters. The included add-ons are mainly aimed at customizing certain aspects of GRHU to a player's taste/preference, e.g. re-enabling the threat indicator, map markers, kill confirmations, classic UI, basic zoom for all weapons, etc. (plus you can adjust the mod for 4:3, 16:9, or 16:10 screen aspect ratio via included add-ons).

However, there will be a couple of new military units available in multiplayer (both in cooperative and adversarial play), and there's also some new NPC factions available, e.g. for mission scripters.

PS: Damn, if I go on like this there'll be no surprises left!

Heh, loading the game might take longer with the release of beta 9. Can't imagine what it would be like with the final release....

You should look into using Google Drive or something similar Apex that does large files and isn't going anywhere. Torrents are only as good as the seeds. And if people aren't seeding you're pretty much SOL. Skydrive, Box, Google Drive or even a combination of those can work.There are a few more out there as well.

Sounds great apex I really love mods that have realistic character diversity :)

Yes, a torrent could be a good solution to the file size problem, but I'm not so sure it would be populated enough to ensure constant availability. Haven't looked into seed boxes yet, so that may be a way to go. With ModDB hosting up to 2,800MB files it should be possible to squeeze the download into two parts (keeping my fingers crossed). The last test archive with ultra-high 7-zip compression was already well beyond 4GB, and currently the mod still keeps on growing while I add essential assets from my to-do list.

Currently the only skin add-on is for classic BDU/DCU for the Ghost team and select US army characters. The included add-ons are mainly aimed at customizing certain aspects of GRHU to a player's taste/preference, e.g. re-enabling the threat indicator, map markers, kill confirmations, classic UI, basic zoom for all weapons, etc. (plus you can adjust the mod for 4:3, 16:9, or 16:10 screen aspect ratio via included add-ons).

However, there will be a couple of new military units available in multiplayer (both in cooperative and adversarial play), and there's also some new NPC factions available, e.g. for mission scripters.

We can put this on modsaholic mate like HU was before.

Heh, loading the game might take longer with the release of beta 9. Can't imagine what it would be like with the final release....

The current dev version of beta 9 (>131,000 files) loads to the main menu in about 30 seconds on my MacBook Air, and that includes launching the Windows XP Wineskin wrapper for GR. Admittedly, that's with an SSD drive.

You should look into using Google Drive or something similar Apex that does large files and isn't going anywhere. Torrents are only as good as the seeds. And if people aren't seeding you're pretty much SOL. Skydrive, Box, Google Drive or even a combination of those can work.There are a few more out there as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check those options out.

Sounds great apex I really love mods that have realistic character diversity :)

Looks like I got hung up on this a little bit. Now approaching 1,000 characters / skins. :)

We can put this on modsaholic mate like HU was before.

Thanks, Jeza. Very much appreciated! :thumbsup:

By now, beta 9 has passed the 13GB mark. I'd estimate it'll be close to 15GB once everything I have on my list for the next release is finally included. Also still have 5 major restructuring steps up ahead to streamline the content and make everything easier to understand (e.g. naming conventions, file dependencies). Very much hope some modders out there will appreciate all of the under-the-hood work that goes into beta 9.

Apex are there any plans to add a MissionHX style game mode? i dont want to step on your toes here, but Black Ops mode lacks the aggressive AI and random weather effects that makes HX so fun.

When experimenting with random weather changes in GTFs I was never quite happy with the results. As IGOR doesn't allow querying the current environmental settings of a map/mission, the changes cannot be adjusted to properly fit within the scope of natural weather conditions for a map, so you might end up with rain and fog on a map that has a clear blue sky with no traces of clouds whatsoever, snow in the middle of a sun-covered desert, or fog removal on maps that very much benefit from heavy mist.

Another issue in this context is the correlation between drawing and viewing distances. I adjusted these settings for every single map in HU to best compliment each map model, e.g. allowing for longer distance firefights on larger maps, or hiding map model shortcomings in denser fog, while always making sure the viewing distance for AI fits the distance over which the human player can visually discern targets. Once you mess with this via randomized environmental settings in GTFs, this correlation may go out the door and you end up with unrealistic AI detection.

So while dynamically altering weather during a mission can add to realism, doing so in GTFs without control over what makes sense in a given situation can lead to the exact opposite: a break in immersion due to unnatural - and thereby unbelievable - environment.

That's also why I abstained from randomly placing objects like downed helicopters or radio towers on the map in GTFs as Mission HX does. Yes, it often works just fine and can then add another layer of realism, but just as often may lead to ridiculous situations (e.g. helo or radio tower placed indoors), so rather than breaking realism altogether in those cases, I decided to leave them out.

I'll have to give Mission HX another try to check the aggressiveness of enemy AI. When I dissected the HX scripts a while back, I remember noticing that Harntrox implemented overarching Company and Platoon AI for OPFOR, but HU's Black Ops (and all other SP/COOP GTFs in HU) do that too, so maybe I overlooked some other tricks he used. In any case, the AI in beta 9 should definitely show some improvements.

You might want to check my third mission in Armenia Scared where there is the decreasing foggy weather with adjusted spotting distance. I even used the same algorithm for a sandstorm mission for Afghanistan mod but it was never released (I think I still have it somewhere)

You might want to check my third mission in Armenia Scared where there is the decreasing foggy weather with adjusted spotting distance. I even used the same algorithm for a sandstorm mission for Afghanistan mod but it was never released (I think I still have it somewhere)

Cheers, Giampi. Yes, in a mission script it is possible to dynamically alter weather conditions that will fit the map environment perfectly at all times, and of course you can adjust viewing and spotting distances to match up under those circumstances. The difficulties with dynamic weather changes arise in game type files (GTF) that are not bound to a single map but rather need to work across a wide range of very different maps, each with specific individual environments.

Depending on various environmental conditions, e.g. time of day (day, night, noon, dusk, dawn), weather (clear, rain, snow, fog), sun/moon/artificial light (intensity, direction, color) with corresponding darkmaps/shadows, and drawing distance/mist/fog settings (range, density, color) of a particular map, dynamic changes implemented via GTF may end up looking very out of place and unnatural, because there is no way to query any of the aforementioned conditions to adjust e.g. weather or fog color accordingly.

thanks for the reply and explanation Apex.

My pleasure, Shake. Always glad to get feedback on GRHU.

• Like 1

Hi Apex,

I've been experiencing crashes to desktop with HU 1.0.0b8 after loading from either a save or quicksave during singleplayer (campaign and quick missions). I've noticed that the crashes always happen when I try to use the command map to issue orders to my squads. Sometimes the crash happens when I simply display the map. Other times I have to issue a movement order before the crash happens. What should I try to do to fix this problem?

I have GR 1.4, DS, and IT and have also set the mods' priorities as DS<IT<HU. I have no other mods activated, though I do have a bunch of other mods installed.

Many thanks for the assistance, nyleken. :thumbsup:

Brian, first of all thank you very much for your detailed bug report. I truly appreciate this kind of constructive feedback, as it really helps me a lot in identifying errors and other shortcomings of the mod I failed to notice myself. As I develop Heroes Unleashed alone, I largely have to rely on all the people out there playing the mod to point out mistakes to me, because - while I do my best in trying to debug every new version before its release (many thanks to my LAN-party friends) - I simply don't have the time and resources for full-scale in-depth QA testing (this is also one the reasons for the very long beta phase).

So for everyone reading this: Please, if you encounter any flaws, typos, bugs etc. in the current version of Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed, don't be shy and throw some feedback my way to get them fixed! Thank you! :help:

Now, the cause for those crashes you mentioned has been determined to be a mix of typos and missing text strings in certain actor and mission files (described in more detail in the linked forum topic), and - as nyleken pointed out - this will be fixed in the next release of Heroes Unleashed. The save game / command map crash bug has been a real head scratcher for some time, so I very much hope the changes implemented in beta 9 will resolve this issue for good.

I am sorry for the inconvenience and hope it won't spoil your enjoyment of GRHU too much until the update is ready. And again, thanks for the feedback!

Aye had this same save/map crash problem for quite some time myself total nightmare getting past it.

Today I'll provide you all with another glimpse into the Heroes Unleashed development process... and my obvious insanity.

I'm now in the process of replacing every single original actor and vehicle file including their models and textures (literally thousands of files in total), as well as adjusting all their references in missions, game types, etc., just to adhere to the new systematic (and hopefully more logical and helpful) naming convention I want to implement.

Please wish me luck (and some mental strength), as this is far from trivial and may easily end up a complete mess if I lose my concentration and/or sight of all the intricate steps this entails.

On the bright side, once this humungous endeavor is behind me there's some more pleasant modding work up ahead for a while... before I eventually have to do the same thing for every other file in the mod.

:ph34r:

• Like 2

That's crazy, but you never did do things the easy way. I saw an OCD photo collection last night, I need to find t for you....

Roughly 20 percent done so far. This really is crazy! Especially since I now begin to see just how many more individual actors/characters I need to create to have them all be noticeably different and in some way unique. I fear 1,000 skins isn't anywhere near enough!

Must work faster!

Roughly 20 percent done so far. This really is crazy! Especially since I now begin to see just how many more individual actors/characters I need to create to have them all be noticeably different and in some way unique. I fear 1,000 skins isn't anywhere near enough!

Must work faster!

Don't forget your coffee. =)