Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

ApexMods

Back to HU, I had hoped for automating DXT texture compression via batch (which would still take weeks), but apparently compressed ARGB (alpha channel) RSB with embedded mipmaps cause unsightly clipping errors, and there’s no way to filter them out. Back to the drawing board we go.

It looks like mipmapping any RSB with Alpha 1 and materials alphas is a bad idea, irrespective of DXT compression, it just becomes more visually obvious with DXT.

Will have to brush up on javascript some more, but should get this fixed soon.

• Like 1

Okay, mipmapping has been fixed, automated compression is underway for another downsizing test. Looking good so far. I may be able to squeeze a compact HU version into about 20 GB install size. How‘s that for “lite”? 🙂

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ApexMods said:

Okay, mipmapping has been fixed, automated compression is underway for another downsizing test. Looking good so far. I may be able to squeeze a compact HU version into about 20 GB install size. How‘s that for “lite”? 🙂

20 GB is certainly much more tolerable, but I still think the map pack idea would be the best way to handle this.

• Hardcore players will probably download whatever you make, but more casual players (of which most of the people I play with are) don't want to commit the space. The main goal is to increase accessibility. We want more people playing, right?
  • Most people probably don't play most of the maps. I know I don't. Why should I be forced to download them?
  • Since you already organize the map files so well, wouldn't be that hard to just pull the mission files and the map folders into a separate mod.
  • The "base" version should probably have all of the campaign missions and maps as well as the other maps included with the original game and expansions. Any gameplay updates would only require updating this smaller portion. You could also release this version sooner, get people playing it, and then release map packs as you work on them.

7 hours ago, Jack Wachter said:

20 GB is certainly much more tolerable.

Nobody needs to tolerate anything. If the mod is "intolerable" for you, don't download it.

• Hardcore players will probably download whatever you make, but more casual players (of which most of the people I play with are) don't want to commit the space.

Again, if they don't want to, they don't have to.

• Most people probably don't play most of the maps. I know I don't. Why should I be forced to download them?

No one is forcing you to download anything.

• The main goal is to increase accessibility.

If that was the main goal, I wouldn't be modding a hardcore tactical shooter that is almost twenty years old.

Just wait and see. I think I'll find a nice solution.

• Like 1

Finally, after days of struggling, my Mac is humming along again. I‘ll be taking a break before I resume modding... which probably means I‘ll start working on HU right after I had some coffee, a couple of cigarettes, and some playtime with my dog.

Ghosts never surrender.

Despite the recent setbacks, mod work is almost back on track, albeit quite a bit behind schedule. Will be tough to make up for the lost work and time, put I‘ll push on trying to at least get some form of “teaser” out the door (relatively) soon.

• Like 2

Hey Apex. Love the mod and the community as a whole for keeping this game alive. I'm unsure if this is even possible, but the feature I'd love to see most is a winter uniform set. Similar to how uniforms change for jungle maps and desert maps, the clothes would change for ice maps. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2020 at 17:29, luigi gargiulo said:

Hi Apex, I downloaded GRHU V.1.0.1 (almost 10 GB) and, once un-zipped, I've added it in the folder "Mods".  

However once started the game, I selected Options -> Mods and it's not over there....

any help please?

many tks,
Luigi

Problem solved, the ModFolder was created in a subfolder when unpacking. greetings Eisenhauer

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A good evening to everyone — considering I am leaving for the Army soon, and my father is a gamer, I was searching for some stuff that he might enjoy playing, Ghost Recon (2001) was one of our first experiences (both) at video games, along with Red Alert 1, Age of Empires, etc. I recently discovered this mod, Heroes Unleashed, and I somewhat managed to figure it out and play a mission on Doom without casualties.

However my father, who's a little more casual (but not too much) than me, had two questions that I actually kind wanted to know too, to be fair.

There is no access to the 'Compass' that's normally in the middle of the screen, that's gone wholly, is there any way to bring it back at all, because I cannot figure it out for the life of me. It's a bit of a cheat, I think he should play without, but one thing really bothers me still, and that's not at all about cheating, but rather about quality of life.

Is there any way to bring back the text that says 'ENEMY DOWN' in the left corner of the map? I can never really know if my squad took out enemies or not, and I'd think you'd realistically be ... kind of informed about that on the radio, no?

Thank you for the responses in advance, and have a lovely day / night / whatever time it is where you are!

• Like 1

I think the enemy down was removed for realism, because in the field I would not imagine that you always get such a message, and it forces you to be continually on alert until you get eyes on the body.

I feel like the compass thing is mentioned in the mod readme document but I am not 100%, take a look.

Best of luck in your travels.

Check the add-on mods in the included "XTRAS" bonus content folder.
Specifically
the HU Add-On Mods folder.

I did see one titled :
HU - Legacy HUD System that may show the compass.

There are several more of these "Legacy" Mods but you will have to try them to see if they are what you need.
Unpack them, move to Mods folder and activate ingame to test them.

• Like 1