Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

ApexMods

I currently can’t record video, and gun sounds work best in-game (stereo / 3d positional audio), rather than just raw files (mono). Only so much: Very few weapons get entirely new sounds, most are only remixed slightly, emphasizing “mechanics” (sounds created by a firearm’s “action”, its moving parts), and adding a bit of extra snap and punch to muzzle blast and sonic boom (where appropriate). This will probably be most noticeable for fire bursts / full auto and suppressed weapons.

BTW, something often forgotten when discussing sound modding is that Ghost Recon’s sound effect files are mono recordings because the game’s 3d positional audio system dynamically creates “stereo” for each player. The game won all those “Best Sound” awards for a good reason, back in the day.

Pretty sure helmet cameras aren't going to be able to capture the full range of sounds. There's a reason specialized equipment is used for making sound libraries of this stuff. Then you can also delve into if you want to simulate electronic hearing protection or not. It's a deep rabbit hole.

Also making good sounds for this game sucks. Working on my own stuff, a decent sound becomes a bit worse in game. Based on conversations I've had with people involved in firearms sound design, the standards in 2001 for best sound awards must be stupidly low compared to the dynamics available today.

Sound design has quickly become like most aspects of OGR modding for me: I hate doing it, but the end result can be super satisfying.

21 hours ago, ApexMods said:

adding a bit of extra snap and punch to muzzle blast and sonic boom (where appropriate)

I feel like this is probably the most important thing you can do.

• Like 1

These are the guys that did Ghost Recon’s sound design. I don’t think they did the recordings in their garage at home with a handheld mono microphone.

“This standard of excellence earned Soundelux the highest honors given by the Film and TV industries, including 51 Academy Award Nominations, winning on 22 occasions; 112 Emmy Award Nominations, winning on 41 occasions; and many BAFTA and CAS Nominations and Awards. 

Credits include features films and TV shows such as: Skyfall, Game of Thrones, Fast & Furious, Iron Man, CSI: NY, Django Unchained, Drive, Unstoppable, The Pacific, Inglourious Basterds, Star Trek, Wanted, The Bourne Ultimatum, Blood Diamond, Memoirs of a Geisha, Ray, The Life and Death of Peter Sellers, Kill Bill, Live from Baghdad, Road to Perdition, Black Hawk Down, Shrek, Almost Famous, Gladiator, The Perfect Storm, American Beauty, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Sopranos, Prison Break, Beauty and the Beast, Braveheart, and many more.

In November 2014 Sounddogs.com acquired the Soundelux trademark and massive Sound Effects Library, arguably the loudest and greatest sound effects library on the planet.”

• Like 1

As I’m working on HU’s operators manual (over 46,000 words now, growing fast), it would be nice to hear what you folks would like to see added or expanded upon.

BTW, have any of you actually read the whole thing? 🧐

There may be a way to permanently disable HUD elements like stance, weapon, and fire select indicators etc., but it’s yet another boatload of work. Would this be worth the time? Opinions? Comments? Is anyone still reading my ramblings?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ApexMods said:

There may be a way to permanently disable HUD elements like stance, weapon, and fire select indicators etc., but it’s yet another boatload of work. Would this be worth the time? Opinions? Comments? Is anyone still reading my ramblings?

is it not just pressing F9 on the keyboard? I understand it's not a permanent solution, but gives players the choice

Edited by Zeealex
  • Like 1

On 26/07/2020 at 06:54, ApexMods said:

As I’m working on HU’s operators manual (over 46,000 words now, growing fast), it would be nice to hear what you folks would like to see added or expanded upon.

BTW, have any of you actually read the whole thing? 🧐

I've scanned it when the latest release came out - I wouldn't like to sit an exam on it though. 😁

HUD elements should be an option in my opinion. Permanently removing these features aligns with the hardcore element of HU's focus but allowing the player freedom of choice in this area I think is important.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zeealex said:

is it not just pressing F9 on the keyboard? I understand it's not a permanent solution, but gives players the choice

Yes, there are few nation keys to temporarily turn off HUD elements, but they’re always back on the next mission.

1 hour ago, die7 said:

hmm..I would say it's definitive worth, maybe as addon

If I remove them, it would be the other way around. I’d make an addon mod to restore them, e.g. for Legacy.

15 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I've scanned it when the latest release came out - I wouldn't like to sit an exam on it though. 😁

Now THAT is an idea for a new contest! 🤣

19 minutes ago, Rocky said:

HUD elements should be an option in my opinion. Permanently removing these features aligns with the hardcore element of HU's focus but allowing the player freedom of choice in this area I think is important.

Freedom of choice would certainly be maintained through customization addon mods. I have to admit that even I occasionally play HU with the Legacy addon. 🙂

HUD elements provide feedback we can't get otherwise. IRL, we can easily feel what stance we're in, check the status of our magazines, etc.

Main thing I don't like is the magazine round counter. Making it more like full/mostly full/approximately half/low/very low or something like that would be preferred.

• Like 1

Does removing the HUD also mean removing the top left text? I know I use that for my missions somewhat, including my copy of the HU exfil timer. I just want names in MP to not show up for kills. I know we can make our names blank, but that is far from ideal since it becomes hard to tell who has joined and what slots everyone is in.