Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

ApexMods

Helicopters are so annoying. For my hostage rescue mission, I just got to where they were functional and left it at that. Since the players shouldn't really be seeing the helicopters due to the mission design, it works enough for me. I don't even want to touch doing cinematics with them.

• Like 1

Got side-tracked from heli scripting (thank god) and did a quick manual section for add-on mod descriptions, as suggested by die7 (thanks mate). There’s over 80 add-ons currently, and I just created a couple more and jotted down a few ideas for new ones.

BTW, while I implemented an add-on mod to restore a faster single shot / semi-auto rate of fire for all player weapons (as some people voiced their problem e.g. with CQB), I wanted to give you guys this little nugget of info on HU’s standard RoF, especially for those who think it is unrealistic:

HU’s (v1.0) default weapon trigger response lies between 0.15 seconds (e.g. pistols) and 0.63 seconds (e.g bolt-action anti-materiel sniper rifles), with a median for all firearms of about 0.2 seconds, which means that proper trigger control allows you to shoot six to seven times per second(!) with a pistol, five times per second(!) on average with most other weapons (e.g. M4A1, M16A4).

I only left those values so unrealistically high because of a hard-coded engine restriction (details in the manual).

• Like 4

Visual effects overhaul done (for now).

Weapon sounds overhaul underway. Over 1,200 sounds to go, so this may take a while.

Next stop: other sound effects.

Guess the helicopters will have to wait. 🙂

On 14/06/2020 at 10:24, ApexMods said:

That is not a bug. For weapon optics with fixed magnification the continuous zoom function (e.g. via scroll wheel) is intentionally disabled.

I was wrong. It WAS a bug. Mea culpa.

• Like 1

Figured you might like this, Jack. 🙂

I will not go the same route as you with DeCENT. I’ll try to maintain the original sound design, first person recording with very little echo / roll, to keep it more suitable for both indoor / CQB and outdoor / long range engagements. Will probably just add a little more snap and punch.

Thinking about doing a separate “hollywood” sound add-on with more bombastic firefight effects that may be right up your alley, though. 😉

The sounds in DeCENT are just Insurgency 2014 sounds mixed with others to get more variety out of them. I do want to eventually replace them. I need to get back with the sound guy I was talking to since we had a plan to incorporate both 1st person and 3rd person sounds (basically give the NPC guns the 3rd person sounds).

As long as it actually feels like I'm firing a weapon, then good. Suppressors also really need some love.

• Like 2

Many thanks for your feedback and nice words. I very much appreciate this, and it always puts a smile on my face to see how much the game and mod are enjoyed by members of the military. That is the biggest compliment one can hope for when developing / modding a tactical realism shooter.

So, as I’m going through hundreds and hundreds of weapon sounds - redoing them one by one, I’ve still discovered a couple if errors (luckily just very few), which will be fixed, of course.

Very happy with the outcome of the sound overhaul, so far. Every single gun sound in Heroes Unleashed gets some new love, and I think you folks will like the result. 🙂

I’ve also experimented with third person recordings (for that hollywood sound add-on talked about earlier), but I just cannot bring myself to like it enough, especially for the efforts involved. Feel there’s more important stuff to spend time on.

A little background info on the subject: Ghost Recon’s 3d audio system allows for a broad variety of sound environments that can be set up for different map areas, e.g. “carpeted hallway”, “concert hall”, “hangar”, “cave”, “forrest”, “plain” etc., and they all offer different sound characteristics like echo, reverb, roll, and so on.

Admittedly, these are not yet used all that heavily in most maps, but the potential for improvements in future versions of HU is there, and those sound environments only work well with first person weapon sound recordings, as the effects they add were made specifically for this kind of audio.

If you can spare the time (and it requires LOADS of it), there’s still hundreds of maps in HU that need much better sound effects and environment setups. I return to this whenever I need a break from other stuff, and the potential for further improvement is nearly endless.

For inspiration, take a long walk e.g. in the nearest park or forest, and just listen. Take (mental) notes of every little sound you hear. There’s a lot more sound environment than you may have thought. Ghost Recon allows to replicate this to perfection, if you are willing to spend enough time on a map. The results can be breathtaking.

The wave files are (mostly) already there. What’s needed is the editing of each map’s mission file (*.mis) in Igor, placing the appropriate sounds in the right places, adjusting their timings, volume, propagation etc.

Then there’s the subject of map room sound attributes, as I mentioned earlier. Individual areas of a map can be set to different sound characteristics, although that is probably something for later. 

For example, there are still maps that are almost “dead”, meaning they have little or no sound effects placed in them. Even just placing e.g. a couple of birds chirping, some flies buzzing about etc. can bring a dull map to live.