Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

ApexMods

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello

I am a new comer to Ghost Recon and its modifications and so far I really enjoy Heroes Unleashed. 

I do have some questions though. 

1. Is there a 3rd person option and if not,  I would I be able to play in 3rd person? 

2. Is the newest version of this mod supposed to be a 6gb download and not 20gb? 

1. HU does not come with a third person view but... you can read about one here that should work with HU. 
Not sure which is the current or best version.

2. I think the 6gb file is compressed with 7Zip. It is about 15 gb's uncompressed. 
Welcome to GR.net 

• 1 month later...

Hi...

I just DL the latest version of HU. (The older version i had was some kind of buggy. (my fault i used it with other conflicting mods probably)

I just cant open the zip file. I use 7z. I have a corrupted data n files message. I search posts on dl page and on this thread. I tried some program that can repair it without sucess so far. Now i feel tired and lazy lol. Anyone went thru some kind of problems here? I noticed too that when i start the dl the only options i have is a ''Winrar'' or ''allfiles'' option. Is that ok?

Thanks.

I never noticed about choosing WinRAR archive or all files. Looked at it now and it is by default set at WinRAR archive and that worked for me when I d/l'ed it months ago. 
 Not with HU but I have ended up with corrupted zip, rar or 7Z files that would not open and best of my recollection I ended re downloading. 
Might try WinRAR on it. I'd hate to re download 6Gb's. 

Edited by wombat50

On 1/17/2018 at 09:59, ApexMods said:

Of course!

Glad you like the Legacy add-on. It was a lot of work putting it all together like this, but well worth it, even for the nostalgia alone. 🙂

Can you make the SMGs in HU somewhat viable? They're paintball guns in this game, I avoid them at all costs. You can shoot someone literally 10 times at close range and they are fine.

1 hour ago, KevinC said:

Can you make the SMGs in HU somewhat viable? They're paintball guns in this game, I avoid them at all costs. You can shoot someone literally 10 times at close range and they are fine.

They are viable in the correct situations. You definitely don't want to use them in long range, that's why you got Rifles. You don't want to use them against armored targets, as against those, if it is not a headshot, the bullets will simply bounce off their armor, they'll get stunned a bit as well. I use them in CQB against any target, but the key is, going for the hit stun (By shooting them anywhere) then going for the headshot, otherwise they are not good. They get more useful in the Desert Siege and Island Thunder, where not everyone is wearing armor. Just like every weapon, it is a matter of using them in the right scenario.

3 hours ago, Jose21crisis said:

They are viable in the correct situations. You definitely don't want to use them in long range, that's why you got Rifles. You don't want to use them against armored targets, as against those, if it is not a headshot, the bullets will simply bounce off their armor, they'll get stunned a bit as well. I use them in CQB against any target, but the key is, going for the hit stun (By shooting them anywhere) then going for the headshot, otherwise they are not good. They get more useful in the Desert Siege and Island Thunder, where not everyone is wearing armor. Just like every weapon, it is a matter of using them in the right scenario.

It would be infinitely better to just use an assault rifle or CQC rifle. There is near zero benefit of the SMG. Let's be honest, the close quarters game in this lovely old game is something you want to avoid ANYWAY. The cumbersome movement combined with the AIs never moving and their laser reaction time makes it a no-go anyway. Up to a certain range, an SMG should be way better. it should have little reticle spread and should waste people up close. Even with armor, getting filled up by an SMG would knock anyone down and likely kill them. Armor only does a little.

CQB in this game is underdeveloped, but still quite realistic. Definitely takes practice to get good at it. Making use of flashbangs, grenades, etc. are great for getting every advantage you can get. While it's nice to avoid CQB entirely or clear from the outside before breaching (shooting through doorways, windows, using grenades, etc.), there are times were you can't give yourself these advantages before breaching (hostage rescue being a prime example, especially when it's likely the hostage will be killed soon after you're detected).

SMGs are plenty useable in CQB, just have to learn how to go for headshots. If you have a heavy body armor mod (which is an extra in HU), then not even an M14 will pierce it. So even with an M4, be ready to adjust your shot placement. As for SMG vs assault rifle, I find little benefit with the SMG other than pure style. But then again, SMG use has definitely decreased in the modern battlefield.

• 2 weeks later...

Full HU 1.0 is in the works. Mainly under-the-hood stuff, so don’t expect too much new content. Focus is on bug fixes and organization (stability, compatibility, modularity, modability). It’s still a mountain of work, but I’m getting there... soon. 🙂

PS: I love this game.

i think the biggest improvement id like to see is the kits redone. even with the new fast scroll feature there are far too many kits to choose from. I think every weapon has its place in the mod but they should be organized better. i suggest they be organized by type and nationality in the form of add on mods. for instance there is a huge selection of eastern european weapons, why not remove them from the 100s of other kits available and keep them as an add on mod for those interested. 

also it seems the rifleman class is underutilized. for instance the support class has many options for AT4/LAW/GLs and even scoped weapons. carrying a machine gun ammo and a rocket launcher just isnt ideal, rifleman are much more versatile in that aspect. give rifleman LAWS/AT4/GLs instead of support. 

as far the as demo class, the javelin missile system is over kill. that thing is huge and heavy. for a swift and silent SF team to lug one around seems unrealistic. now im not sure if the SMAW is used by army SF but that would work as an alternate. or maybe load each demo guy with 3 LAWs and give rifleman some too. 

my 2 cents! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shakealeg1212 said:

as far the as demo class, the javelin missile system is over kill. that thing is huge and heavy. for a swift and silent SF team to lug one around seems unrealistic. now im not sure if the SMAW is used by army SF but that would work as an alternate. or maybe load each demo guy with 3 LAWs and give rifleman some too. 

Perhaps for most situations in GR, but I would still leave it in as an option. Everything has a purpose in the right context. GR gives you the flexibility to take what you want into the field depending on the mission.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3735/us-special-ops-mrzr-buggies-full-of-javelin-missiles-spotted-near-mosul

4 hours ago, shakealeg1212 said:

i think the biggest improvement id like to see is the kits redone. even with the new fast scroll feature there are far too many kits to choose from. I think every weapon has its place in the mod but they should be organized better. i suggest they be organized by type and nationality in the form of add on mods. for instance there is a huge selection of eastern european weapons, why not remove them from the 100s of other kits available and keep them as an add on mod for those interested. 

I think it's fine as is other than sometimes the regular and SD versions of weapons aren't always next to each other. As for organization, I think going by nationality is a little bit much. In Cloak-and-Dagger SP, I organized the weapons by type using a special prefix system. The types I used were the following: rifle, SMG, PDW (only like 4 weapons if you count the MP5K PDW), LMG (this goes about as big as the Mk48), GPMG (smaller selection than LMGs, has M60, M240, PKM, etc.), bolt action sniper, semi-automatic sniper (no differentiation made between anti-material rifles and anti-personnel rifles due to already limited weapon selection), and shotguns. I have prefixes for pistols, rockets, and grenade launchers as primary weapons, but those kits aren't used in SP nor in MP (which uses a simple prefix system since order is determined by the order in the .kil files, not alphabetical order).

Considering the SP weapons selections is absolutely huge (1800+ kits for rifleman), I used a different prefix to make certain weapons appear first. Basically, I pulled some of the more "common" weapon choices up to the front to save on time. Of course, this was based purely on my taste. However, the simple prefix system prevents the organization from being too cluttered. Decide your primary, scroll to get to your primary, then figure out what secondary you want to bring.

Keep in mind that this prefix system is only the approach I used for Cloak. As for HU, I thought it was setup so that no one class had more than 300ish kits max in either SP or MP? I'm not aware of any HU setting that has all of the kits compiled for each class that would lead to an absolutely huge weapon selection like you're saying.

As for weapons in HU, I would like to see corrected zoom for a few weapons (I'm mainly looking at you HK416 and HK417 12" barrel, those Shortdot scopes only have 4x magnification in real life, not 10x) as well as semi-auto rate of fire increased to actually effective levels for CQB. In Cloak, I simply made the semi-auto rate of fire the same as full-auto or burst mode on most occasions. 500rpm and above should be fine. And then flashbangs being set to cause no damage under any circumstances. I understand they can actually wound (and possibly kill) IRL, but the game doesn't give us the finesse to throw it crazy precise. I've actually had a flashbang kill a hostage because it attached to his head.

Edited by Jack Wachter

As I said, for the full 1.0.0 release I mainly focus on fixing bugs and working on the mod's technical underpinnings, e.g. file and folder structure, model and texture properties and dependencies and so on, and consequently for now there (probably) won't be any changes to e.g. equipment/kit selection, ballistics, weapon sounds etc.

The HK416/417s in question are modeled with Nightforce 2.5-10 x 32 NXS scopes (10x magnification), and the MP5SD you talked about before is fitted with an EOTech M550 Series Holographic Weapon Sight (no magnification) combined with an AN/PVS-14 Monocular Night Vision Device (no magnification either) on a QD lever equipped ring mount for the MP5.

The manual/semi-auto fire rate of each weapon in HU is calculated depending on weapon category to provide (relatively) realistic manual shots, especially for AI, because with the semi-auto RoF set to the same as full-auto, AI (and some human players) will manually shoot their guns just as quickly as if set to full-auto, which I'd consider an unrealistic immersion breaker.

Oh, I stand corrected. Thanks for letting me know. Guess I have some adjustments to make. Any chance you have a record of each gun and the optics used? Mostly out of curiosity (and to inform myself since it seems I don't know as much as I thought I did).

As for semi-auto rate of fire, I don't find the super fast AI immersion breaking for me (after all, it is possible to fire them fast anyway). Perhaps a slight increase would achieve a good balance? Would be mainly for weapons ranging from pistols to intermediate rifles. Snipers (and maybe battle rifles?) can stay the same to account for recoil and such on the AI side of things. On the player side, it is possible to fire faster and the movement of the pips can help to make sure they aren't firing as fast as they can all the time (now if I turn a corner and you're directly in front of me, I will be putting as many rounds into you as I can as quickly as possible. But longer range, I adjust how fast I'm firing depending on if I want to suppress or go for kill shots).

• 2 weeks later...

It‘s due to a typo, which will be taken care of in the full 1.0 release. Loads of fixes and essential restructuring coming, and at least a couple of new maps. Will be a big download (>8 GB) and install (>20 GB), but should be worth the disk space. Heck, some new titles with close-to-Zero replay value weigh in at hundreds of gigs nowadays, so...

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Errm... it looks like I'll be crossing 30 GB installed size with the new full (non-beta, yeah!) release of Heroes Unleashed 1.0. Next to a space consuming major restructuring of file and folder hierarchies, there'll also be quite a few 2K HD textures in the next version. I'll try to keep the download below 10 GB, but it's going to be a close call.

• Like 2