Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

ApexMods

Thanks for the input guys. All suggestions duly noted and will be considered… except adding a Scott Mitchell character, of course. ;)

Meanwhile shakealeg's distaste for the menu screens has been addressed. I added an add-on mod for beta 9 and got so sidetracked in the process that I ended up reworking the entire user interface. It's well worth it, I assure you. :)

I demand you code into the game random instances where the words "DIAMOND FORMATION MOTHER ******R" are yelled and your well hidden team for no reason dive head first into a heavy machine gun position with sidearms drawn.

Also at this point everything around the player must explode, tress burst into flame, walls become super combustable objects and cars and vehicles become super sensitive powder kegs.

And then scott mitchel parachutes down clutching a shoulder mounted mctavish launcher.

No.

epkt8h.jpg

anyways, apex i have an idea for the file size dilemma. divide heroes unleashed into two parts. one being HU core and the other being all the extra maps. im pretty sure maps/textures take up the most space.

and maybe make the map pack optional for those with limited internet.

keep up the great work man :popcorn:

anyways, apex i have an idea for the file size dilemma. divide heroes unleashed into two parts. one being HU core and the other being all the extra maps. im pretty sure maps/textures take up the most space.

yeah, this is what they do in the Arma community and it works quite well ;)

I've got a question: how much autonomy do US Army Special Forces operatives get in choosing their equipment? It might be nice to give them back their woodland BDUs but have them wearing modern-day, 2014-esque headgear and plate carriers. Y'know, dat sense of individuality.

Apexmods wants it to remain as true to the setting as possible, the game is set in 2008, not 2014

A lot of US Army combat helmets in 2014 existed in 2008. SFOD-D used MICH helmets in Baghdad during the first stages of the Iraq War.

Just asking whether they had autonomy with their gear is all, though it seems more likely that Special Forces operatives wear equipment based on the region they're operating in.

from what I understand, they certainly have more up-to-date gear (crye precision or UFPRO gear for instance) but they still have to follow some sort of uniform regulation.

for instance, I've never known US Army special forces squads or individuals to use ATACS, or Pencott camo, however some US army special forces can still be seen using M81 woodland camo and multicam.

It makes me wonder if there's a uniform authorization process in which the operative may choose their camo so long as it's previous government issue camo or colours.

Edited by Zeealex

Google US special forces Afghanistan.

I think they can wear about anything within reason when on operations.

If they are pulling regular garrison duty stateside they probably have to conform to the dress code.

post-503-0-52141100-1405475770_thumb.jpg

Edited by wombat50

I'm positive that it's to blend in with the local populace, hence why they're allowed to wear beards in Afghanistan.

Don't know if the 5th SFG would do the same as I've only really seen SFOD-D and SAD teams wearing civilian clothing as part of their outfit.

Though Delta is probably [REDACTED]

EDIT: Disregard what I said earlier about the 5th SFG. Apparently they CAN wear civilian clothing.

22.jpg

Edited by nyleken

Dividing the mod up into independent parts may be difficult, if not impossible, at this point, because everything is somehow interconnected, meaning that e.g. due to script dependencies the new game types only work properly with the included maps, equipment, actors etc. and vice versa, and even the new interface in beta 9 relies on naming conventions found throughout the mod.

By now I've crossed the 12 GB mark with beta 9, so I'll give all this some additional thought.

As for the different suggestions on skins, due to the new mod structure it should be quite easy to plug in new appearances for various characters via add-on mods, so I may leave that to others as there's a lot of personal preference involved and you probably can't please everyone. There'll be hundreds of new characters/skins as it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much, 4ceRecon. Very much appreciated!

Here's a new tidbit of development info (providing yet another glimpse into my obvious insanity): I always considered it to be somewhat of an immersion breaker when you run into a bunch of enemies and several of them look exactly the same. Something had to be done, so… now there's over 800 distinct character skins, with more than 800 individual faces, to be found in the next version of Heroes Unleashed.

This also means that the new version of GRHU will be more demanding on graphics hardware, although preliminary testing on fairly low-spec integrated graphics cards looks promising, with minimal performance impact. For most contemporary hardware this should not be an issue, at all.