Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

ApexMods

Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed v1.0.0b5 Update

Is the audience listening...? :)

After my (slightly longer than planned) hiatus I am happy to announce that I finished the next update (v1.0.0b5) for Heroes Unleashed. It's a major one - with tons of balancing and fine tuning, and again there are new maps, weapons, and game types.

Additionally, I have created another add-on mod, plus an info sheet with a comprehensive listing of all weapons in Heroes Unleashed and their key specs (as usual, those bonus items are "hidden away" in the X-TRAS folder).

I should have the update patches and full installs for Mac and PC uploaded by this time tomorrow (the internet does not seem to like uploading today) and will post the links here once everything is in place.

Hope you'll enjoy the next version of Heroes Unleashed!

EDIT: DOWNLOADS ARE LIVE!

Another 1GB-plus file to download... Why oh why do I keep losing this mod? :wall:

Additionally, I have created another add-on mod, plus an info sheet with a comprehensive listing of all weapons in Heroes Unleashed and their key specs (as usual, those bonus items are "hidden away" in the X-TRAS folder).
Now that's just... there are no words :thumbsup:

(BTW, Apex, good to see you're back. Heroes Unleashed just keeps getting better and better :) )

Edited by Gache

I'm posting the full media release for this latest version here for folks who have not seen it.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

---------------------

ApexMods Announces Beta Update for "Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed" Mod

----------------------------------------------------------------------

THE WORLD WIDE WEB - May 28, 2009 - ApexMods (www.ApexMods.com) today

announced a new beta (v1.0b5) for "Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed", the

popular expansion pack for "Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon", the critically

acclaimed squad-based military game that pioneered the genre of the

tactical shooter.

The new version features tons of gameplay balancing and fine-tuning,

as well as exciting new content like additional maps, weapons and game

types for single and multiplayer, plus bonus material like add-on mods

("arcade" and "hardcore" mode) and an info sheet for key weapon specs.

Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed makes more than 100 maps available for

single and multiplayer and offers over 200 weapons to choose from.

All additions have been carefully integrated and balanced to provide

a homogeneous level of professional audio-visual and technical finish.

The mod aims to intensify the realistic feel and immersive qualities

of the game, making it more challenging and emphasizing the atypical

Ghost Recon game style: Tactical team play rather than the "solo, run

and shoot, wanna-live-forever" style found in many other FPS games.

Heroes Unleashed - over 100 maps, more than 200 weapons, ass-kicking

realism... Maybe it's time to revisit the King of tactical shooters!

Availability

------------

The Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed mod is available as a free download

for both Mac and PC from renown Ghost Recon community web sites, e.g.

www.GhostRecon.net and www.DamnR6.com.

About ApexMods

--------------

ApexMods is the guerilla fighter of the gaming industry, specializing

in game modifications that passionately aspire to accommodate the rare

and often forgotten breed of the "thinking player" - and to be fun! =)

Media Contact

-------------

Apex

ApexMods

apex@apexmods.com

www.ApexMods.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------

COPYRIGHT © 2009 APEXMODS (WWW.APEXMODS.COM). ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

ALL OTHER BRAND, PRODUCT, AND COMPANY NAMES ARE PROPERTY OF THEIR

RESPECTIVE OWNERS AND ARE USED ONLY FOR IDENTIFICATION PURPOSES.

Downloading the update.

Your Media Release is a great read and appetizer for those who have shelved GR or don't know the game.

Oh I've been stuck with it for about 6 years now and can easily take another 6 with all the candy that pops up.

Thanks for your dedication, work and time to bring so much fun and pleasure to us.

Thank you very much, GreyHaired! Hope you'll enjoy the new version. :thumbsup:

Here's a little heads-up for the new version - I've played with some friends on GameRanger yesterday and promptly encountered an issue with the new "SAR" game type in CO-OP. Although I (thought I) did exhaustive testing before the release, there are apparently still some minor nags.

While everything worked just fine most of the time, returning the hostages to the insertion zone on one occasion did not trigger mission completion, and another time the hostages would not switch to captive behavior once they were found. I'll have another look into the script triggers and will fix this for the next update.

In the meantime, I hope this is not too much of a deal-breaker, and as long as there are no other major issues found I'd like to stay with my regular update schedule, which means it would be at least a couple of months until the next release.

As usual, any feedback is very much appreciated!

Thanks a lot, wombat and mig - hope you guys (and your clan, wombat) have a good time playing Heroes Unleashed.

Hopefully I'll find some time to get into P2 a bit more during the weekend - damn, that thing looks good! :)

Yes, version 1.0.0b4 was released in February. But the v1.0.0b5 update patch will update v1.0.0b3 as well, so you just need the patch to be up-to-date again.

Glad you like the mod! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Crash. Good to be back.

Meanwhile I have had several reports of downloads for the full install of Heroes Unleashed v1.0.0b5 being corrupted. I have contacted ModDB (the guys that host the downloads) about this issue and wait for their reply.

The files on the servers seem intact, so the problem is apparently caused during download. If any of you have issues downloading the files, please don't hesitate to report them here.

Thank you, and sorry for any inconvenience.

While I have not yet received a reply from ModDB, I confirmed that all uploaded files are OK and downloading them from ModDB directly seems to always yield intact archives, while one of the files I downloaded via FileFront was corrupted on one occasion.

At this time I have no clue what could cause the sporadic download corruption at FileFront - a workaround is to download the file either from ModDB directly (which requires signing up for a free account there), or to download from another mirror - e.g. Strategy Informer.

Usually, ModDB adds more mirrors (e.g. Fileshack) for the files after a couple of days, and after the weekend I expect to see additional third-party mirrors to come online.

Still no word from ModDB. The thing is that my uploads to them are intact - if you have a free ModDB account you can access their non-FileFront Amsterdam and Texas download servers directly, and downloading from there always yields non-corrupted files. Only the FileFront download seems to have this issue, so either something goes wrong during the download from there, or they corrupted a file when they mirrored it on their servers.

Anyhow, I have no way of changing the files on the FileFront servers directly - the mirroring of ModDB files is done automatically after I upload to ModDB (not to FileFront). So I can only sit and wait for their response and hope that they'll re-mirror the files ASAP.

I chose to upload via ModDB for a variety of reasons:

- FileFront won't allow files over 1 GB while ModDB allows up to 2,800 MB

- uploading to FileFront is very slow from my location at times while ModDB has full speed 24/7

- FileFront occasionally deletes files without prior notice (just ask Rocky about this)

So my hands are tied while I wait for a reaction from ModDB. In the meantime I can only point people to the independent mirrors at Strategy Informer again (no issues reported):

DOWNLOAD MIRRORS AT STRATEGY INFORMER

EDIT: Just after posting this I had a reply from ModDB - they are investigating the issue and hope to have it sorted by tomorrow.

- FileFront occasionally deletes files without prior notice (just ask Rocky about this)

:wall: Extremely frustrating.

Strangely though, using izarc, mine was extracting fine until about 80% of the way through it stopped and asked for a password :blink: Just for kicks I typied in "Apex", and it continued extracting and there was no problem.

Strangely though, using izarc, mine was extracting fine until about 80% of the way through it stopped and asked for a password :blink: Just for kicks I typied in "Apex", and it continued extracting and there was no problem.

LOL! My name opens doors, eh? :)

But seriously, there are no password-protected archives of the mod - FileFront doesn't even ALLOW password-protected files on their servers!

I don't know what the heck is going on over there. :wall:

Just to add to the confusion a bit, I've had the same 1647 corrupted files in downloads from FileFront and Strategy Informer! The files seem to be the right size but have 'Data Errors'. :unsure:

In the end I fell back on downloading the b5 patch... seems to be OK. :thumbsup: