Bush Attacked

Rocky

Bush is attacked as a reporter throws his shoes at him. An extremely impressive throw is only trumped by a superb duck by Bush, by any standard it was quite superb.

Not only that, he pops back up, totally unphased, to duck a second shoe!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7782422.stm

These are really impressive moves for someone his age, you'd think he'd been ducking and diving his whole career! :shifty:

Personally, I'd sack his entire Secret Service team, I mean, ###### were they? That second shoe should have been intercepted, good job Bush was up to the challenge! Seriosuly though, the President of the USA is in IRAQ, and his closest secret service is clear across the other side of the room? :unsure:

Honestly, who throws a shoe?

Apparently it's an Iraqi custom of some kind.

Correspondents called it a symbolic incident. Iraqis threw shoes and used them to beat Saddam Hussein's statue in Baghdad after his overthrow.

not just Iraq

In the Arab world, shoe flinging is a gesture of extreme disrespect.

The shoe represents the lowest part of the body (the foot) and displaying or throwing a shoe at someone or something in Arab cultures denotes that the person or thing is "beneath them."

Showing the bottom of one's feet or shoes (for example, putting one's feet up on a table or desk) in Arab cultures is considered an extreme insult.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that "journalist" got his fair share of feet in his face after this incident. I surely wouldn't hesitate.

Honestly, who throws a shoe?

He didn't have a rock?

Oh blimey! Now there's living proof that the surge worked...he wouldn't have been able to do that back in the day. :rolleyes: Perhaps his choice of projectile showed common sense as he was probably expecting the security to soon remove them anyway before they beat the soles of his feet :whistle:

It was surreal enough to watch, but then to think that his security didn't seem to be Johnny-on-the-spot in Iraq, of all places, makes it a bizarre episode in history.

DS

Honestly, i think that is just epic... Really.. I saw that this monday morning and i just laughed n laughed all day... Bush's face when he saw that shoe coming, come on u gotta at least think it was funny..

The guy next to him tries to catch it, on the next throw.. lol.. :rofl:

Edited by squad_e

Rocket Propelled Shoe. :rolleyes:

Security is a funny thing; last summer I wore a black hockey mask all the time at a 'music' event in a country where covering ones' face is illegal, and security did nothing about it (although nobody told me it was illegal until I arrived back home.) They also seemed to be oblivious to the fact that I was wearing a hoody upon which one word was 'terrorist.' Probably because they knew the hoody was directly related to our 'music' genre and the company that made it makes attire in support of our 'music' genre.

Edited by WytchDokta

what happened to Bush is his own fault. he's managed to get the whole world to hate him. So he reaps what he has sown. the world will be much better off without him in office.

I saw it on the news and the whole room erupted in laughter

Edited by Papa6

Bush is attacked as a reporter throws his shoes at him. An extremely impressive throw is only trumped by a superb duck by Bush, by any standard it was quite superb.

Not only that, he pops back up, totally unphased, to duck a second shoe!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7782422.stm

These are really impressive moves for someone his age, you'd think he'd been ducking and diving his whole career! :shifty:

Personally, I'd sack his entire Secret Service team, I mean, ###### were they? That second shoe should have been intercepted, good job Bush was up to the challenge! Seriosuly though, the President of the USA is in IRAQ, and his closest secret service is clear across the other side of the room? :unsure:

To be perfectly fair, you can't prepare for anything. I'm sure that everyone attending the conference were thoroughly frisked, but asking people to leave their shoes outside is, I think, a bit much. If there were no cables sticking out of your shoes, and if your shoes were thoroughly checked, most security detail would let you keep them.

The way I see it, the fact that the journo had to throw his shoes and had nothing else to throw meant that the detail did their job.

As to my take of the situation, I will respectfully keep my comments to myself.

The way I see it, the fact that the journo had to throw his shoes and had nothing else to throw meant that the detail did their job.

The journalist didn't throw his shoes because it was all he had. He threw his shoes quite deliberately, as to many in the middle east, throwing shoes at someone is a very severe insult.

what happened to Bush is his own fault. he's managed to get the whole world to hate him. So he reaps what he has sown. the world will be much better off without him in office.

I saw it on the news and the whole room erupted in laughter

Would you call it reaping what you've sown if someone who doesn't like you threw a shoe at you? I'm sure that someone could find some reasons to hate and despise you, me, or anyone else. Would that justify them in assaulting you? No, of course not. To even suggest so would be ridiculous. Nor was the "journalist" in question justified. How about leaving your well-known political views at the door, like you're supposed to. Further, would you consider Abraham Lincoln to have reaped what he sowed when he was shot? He was, after all, hated by many people, especially in the South. Following your logic, since he was so roundly hated by so many, Lincoln must have deserved it.

I suppose this new Iraqi folk hero -despite some new bruises at the hands of the Iraqi Military- can consider himself lucky if all he loses after this is his press-pass to the Bubble...pull that stunt a few years earlier and he could have found himself in some courtyard, force fed a few liters of gasoline and then trying to dodge a few tracer rounds -or worse.

But no politics here. ;)

What a world we live in when people can witness the President of the United States of America be attacked and disrespected in front of the world and think that it's funny and that he somehow deserved it.

How disappointing... :wall:

The journalist didn't throw his shoes because it was all he had. He threw his shoes quite deliberately, as to many in the middle east, throwing shoes at someone is a very severe insult.

I know, I know that culture well. What I wrote was meant to demonstrate that one cannot anticipate everything. That the journo decided to throw his shoes at Bush was unfortunate, but what could the PSD do? Confiscate everything that was throwable at the door?

I have to agree with Saint though, especially in regards to the Americans on this board. I'm not going to comment and get into a debate about the merits of his policies. You may like him or dislike him. Be that as it may, he is your president. If someone were to throw shoes at our current president, despite the fact that I despise the man, I would be bloody livid. Our stance in such situation is that no one throws shoes at our president but us.

What a world we live in when people can witness the President of the United States of America be attacked and disrespected in front of the world and think that it's funny and that he somehow deserved it.

How disappointing... :wall:

I don't think he deserved it, but it is a funny video, even Bush is smirking as he comes up for air!

The real point is the sentiment behind the insult and the reaction to it in Iraq, even those Iraqis who felt the action was an insult, share the opinion of the antagonist, and resent greatly Bush and his policies.

On the other hand there is also news about how Iraqs are disgusted with his behavior and as such there are stories he has been beaten quite badly.

Anyway, this wasn't a political thread, I was just impressed with the presidents athleticism, so maybe time to shut the door on this one before anyone falls out over it.