Ghost Recon.net Forums

Just Got My New Camera

Yep, the new Canon 5D Mark II. 21mp full-frame camera capable of shooting HD vids. I'd post a full-res pic up, but it's a 17mb file, and that's a compressed jpg! First camera I haven't had to buy on credit too. :D

(i'll post some good websized pics when I'm done testing it)

Edited by durka-durka

lol, I'm still testing the camera out, and nothing mouth-dropping has come out yet, and probably won't until I can get the new Photoshop CS4. (the raw converter in CS3 won't support the camera, and Adobe is making me buy the upgrade.) I'll get something by this weekend.

For now, here's a shot of my kid...

IMG_0052.jpg

*The vingetting is by design*

It does look pretty good doesnt it, I'd hate to think how much detail is in the full sized image.

IMG_0052-100crop.jpg

here's the image at 100% crop. There is VERY little noise for being an ISO 800 image.

nice Camera mate! that 5D Mark II definitely set you back some serious quid. all full frame cameras always cost big bucks until they get them into the consumer range of Digital SLR's.

Enjoy that camera! :thumbsup:

nice Camera mate! that 5D Mark II definitely set you back some serious quid. all full frame cameras always cost big bucks until they get them into the consumer range of Digital SLR's.

Yeah, I was just doing an assessment of all my equipment and found I have about $10k of just camera equipment on my shoulder when I'm walking around, not counting lighting and the various other stuff that comes along with the job. For what I do, I couldn't have anything less than a full-frame, and ideally, I would use a medium format back, but at this point I can't justify that expense. The 5dII is really working out great so far, except for the fact I have to upgrade to CS4. Adobe won't support the camera in CS3 :(. At least I can put it off on expenses lol.

Yeah, I was just doing an assessment of all my equipment and found I have about $10k of just camera equipment on my shoulder when I'm walking around, not counting lighting and the various other stuff that comes along with the job. For what I do, I couldn't have anything less than a full-frame, and ideally, I would use a medium format back, but at this point I can't justify that expense. The 5dII is really working out great so far, except for the fact I have to upgrade to CS4. Adobe won't support the camera in CS3 :(. At least I can put it off on expenses lol.

are you saying that the raw format isn't supported? :o

That's right. For the newer cameras that are coming out, the only version of Adobe Camera Raw that will support them is the one bundled with CS4. CS3 and below will not see newer cameras and you will have to use the software that comes with them to convert the RAW files. Digital Photo Professional that comes with Canon is ok for shooting tethered with a laptop, but I can't stand trying to convert raw files with it.

that is one kick ass camera and an awesome shot of your kid. :thumbsup:

you need to post more pics and maybe a tutorial on vingetting :yes:

thanks for the tips about RAW & CS4

That's right. For the newer cameras that are coming out, the only version of Adobe Camera Raw that will support them is the one bundled with CS4. CS3 and below will not see newer cameras and you will have to use the software that comes with them to convert the RAW files. Digital Photo Professional that comes with Canon is ok for shooting tethered with a laptop, but I can't stand trying to convert raw files with it.

That's odd. I mean your cam came out before my 400D. CS3 handles my RAW format...that's strange :hmm:

well, then that explains everything. but Canon can't even standardize it's own RAW format, that's cheesy. :wacko:

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't posess any fancy video editing software just yet, so I've just been making a few home movies here and there. I haven't had any jobs just yet, so I've been mainly testing the thing out and it works great for my line of work. I can't wait to use it in a real application, which will come next week or the week after.

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't posess any fancy video editing software just yet, so I've just been making a few home movies here and there. I haven't had any jobs just yet, so I've been mainly testing the thing out and it works great for my line of work. I can't wait to use it in a real application, which will come next week or the week after.

so you can confirm though that it does HD video? I mean, you can change the depth field of view while doing video?

I'm having a mid-life crisis on this camera or just settle for the D90 and have some change leftover for an iTouch. <_<

I wanna pass on my Canon SD790 to my bro, but I want that camera with the same feature (picture quality and nice video capability to boot.

I'm not going to be catching ppl while surfing, or trying to capture baseball bat make contact with a curve ball or shoot some lady across the street....hmm :ph34r: ...I just want a camera to catch my niece dig into that birthday cake and capture every second of it and not miss a shot....I want to be able to catch a newly wed first kiss as husband & wife....I want to catch awesome macro shots....I want to be able to capture fireworks...

I'm blabbering now... :( should I settle for a D90 and go on already?

I highly doubt you'll want to be paying $2,700 (body only) to just shoot fireworks. I'd settle for something less expensive and get yourself a nice lens.

I highly doubt you'll want to be paying $2,700 (body only) to just shoot fireworks. I'd settle for something less expensive and get yourself a nice lens.

yep, getting lots of reply from other Photography thread and mostly recommended is the D90 (1yr-no-interest plan) then treat yourself with an awesome lens....