Ghost Recon.net Forums
Rocky

Bought A New Camera

My finepix f601z is about 6 years old now, so it was time to update that old 3MP camera. So I got a Sony DSC w300 13.6MP.

I was toying with the idea of getting a DSLR, but in the end decided I didn't have the time let alone the money that would require invested.

So now I'm looking forward to playing around and seeing what the w300 can do aside from all the techno gadgetry features it boasts. :)

13.5MP! :o :o :o

Wow... my D80 is now obsolete when point and shoots pass it in MP.

Time for the D300! :devil:

I've only had time to point and shoot really, and also a quick shot at the smile shutter - which actually worked. Once I get some half decent shots I'll put them up.

13.5MP! :o :o :o

Wow... my D80 is now obsolete when point and shoots pass it in MP.

Time for the D300! :devil:

Don't think that little Sony ever will surpass your D80 though mate, there's more to it than just MP although most stare themselves blind on that single little number.

In daylight then the Sony might have a slight edge just from the higher MP number but as soon as it starts getting alittle darker then D80's larger lens will whoop the Sony's rear end like you won't believe it.

Sony point-n-shoots are a good buy. The Carl Zeiss lens makes it worth it. The only thing to look out for, though, is that the automation of the lens popping out will drain a battery very fast. I don't know what type of battery it supports, but in a few months you might want to buy a second one.

Also you have to watch for the 13, 14 MP sizes. The compression of the sensors(sweet spot) is @ every 5 MP's. 5, 10, 15, 20 ...

We are getting ready to edge over the 15 MP threshold. I wait an buy about every 5 to 10 MP upgrade.

but that's the funny thing about DSLR's, you don't have to upgrade them UNLESS you intend to want to upgrade due to new features of newer systems. But I see no reason to go from my Canon 400D to 450D.

keep your old camera for normal family shots to the amusement parks etc.

Edited by Papa6

In daylight then the Sony might have a slight edge just from the higher MP number but as soon as it starts getting alittle darker then D80's larger lens will whoop the Sony's rear end like you won't believe it.

While the w300 is actually known for it's low light performance, I'm not going to pretend it's any substitute for a D-SLR, so your D80 is far from obsolete Ruin!

Infact, here's a quute from dpreview that covers both points!

My W300 is a backup to my Nikon D80. I just got back from a trip to NY and the W300 took some very good pictures when my D80 was not a practical choice. I am also impressed by its ability to take good low light photos.

that's the funny thing about DSLR's, you don't have to upgrade them UNLESS you intend to want to upgrade due to new features of newer systems.

Yes yes... self cleaning sensor on D300 makes it very tempting. By the time I'm ready to buy, I'll wait for the DXXX that's 15MP. :)

Took a couple of quick macro shots outside, it was overcast and I didn't use a tripod, so they came out okay for a first quick attempt. Washing line water drop, leaves. The water drop one would have been cool if there had been three drops close together each reflecting the house in the background, like these two are.

linezz.jpg

leafzz.jpg

Nice shots Rocky! I really like the colors in the leaves. I don't know if Sony makes them, but you should try a polarizing filter with macro shots. They'll bring out the color and get rid of reflections and such. If you're on a budget, or they won't fit on your camera, you can always try to put your polarized sunglasses over the lens and turn. :) I've done that a few times with my old camera.

Oh, and for those that want to feel envious, I'm preordered for the Canon 5DmkII. Can't wait till it comes!

Oh, and for those that want to feel envious, I'm preordered for the Canon 5DmkII. Can't wait till it comes!

I was googling around to see that camera and came across a big discussion at dpreview, I've not read it all, but it might interest you.

Dpreview forum 5DmKII

Sounds like some camera though

Canon redefines the future of photography:

21.1 MP EOS 5D Mark II offers Full HD video capture

Can't wait to see what you can do with it.

all the techno gadgetry features

Cool, a WytchDokta camera. :D

and a squad_e one too :pirate:

Those pictures look sweet!!! Considiring with the megapixel spec like that :thumbsup:

I don't see any Jungle gadgetry features on that camera. :D

Yes, that was a deliberate capital J.

Back on topic - I need a new camera, I lost mine somewhere on the return journey from the music promo Denmark in the summer. I'll look into this one provided it's not too expensive. Need some PR[opaganda] pics of some tribal magician wearing a black hockey mask at the next music promo next year.